Bose Radio Question....HELP - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
motiv8rnc
DC Crew

Member #44659

My Corvette(s)
1991 Covette Convertible

Arrow Bose Radio Question....HELP

when i get up in the morning and start my car to go to work i turn on my radio, after about ten minutes of listening to it the sound shuts off. my head unit still has power it shows what station i am listening to. then about ten minutes later it will come back on out of nowhere. then ten minutes later shut off again... soo i called a corvette shop here in town and they say well your receiver may be bad... soo today i put a CD in the headunit listen to it and it does the same thing after about ten minutes..... if my receiver was bad wouldnt that only effect the TUNER, not the CD Player? what are some other options i can try to see if anything work.... someone had said the heat sensor in the headunit may be bad and its shutting itself out, if soo how do you fix a heat sensor in the headunit? can a electronics place do that work?.... anyone with ideas please help.....
motiv8rnc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
1N189
DC Crew

Member #47800

My Corvette(s)
2000 hardtop Nassau blue 1987 Red convertible with tan top (sold)

Are you still using the factory unit or do you have an afterfactory unit installed? I had a none factory unit installed on my '87 and it was doing the same thing you mention, and finally it quit all together. I had checked the BOSE "cross over/link system"...or whatever it's called, and that was not it. I had some guy tell me they thought it was my factory AMP that was causing the issues, and one guy told me it was my driver door speaker (as it was the only one of the speakers that was actually "shorting out" while all the others were working. I bought a new Bose door speaker with a built in AMP, but I sold my '87 before I had it installed...so I don't know it that was it or not.

My suggestion is check your factory AMP. Unfortunatly I don't know where or how to get to this, so I won't be much help there...BUT it gives you more to look for and trouble shoot at.

Hope that helps!

James
1N189
1N189 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
any4xx
DC Crew

Member #67497

My Corvette(s)
Red 1973 454 Coupe. 1996 CE LT4 Coupe

I hope I'm not leading you astray, as I see you have a '91. But in the earlier C4's there's a Bose Amplifier Relay that switches all the amp's on and off. I could see this relay overheating or having a weak coil and disconnecting, then resetting when it cools off or gets jarred. I had one go out on my '86. Everything seemed to work, but no sound. It was a TOTAL PITA to replace, but IIRC, only $12.00.
any4xx is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
merdman
DC Crew

Member #66809

My Corvette(s)
96 coupe

It is called thermal overload protection. Somewhere in your system something is getting to hot and shutting the outputs off. Stereo should have power and cd should work but not have any sound. Kinda something like this?
merdman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
keep um rubber side down shiny side up
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
1N189
DC Crew

Member #47800

My Corvette(s)
2000 hardtop Nassau blue 1987 Red convertible with tan top (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdman View Post
It is called thermal overload protection. Somewhere in your system something is getting to hot and shutting the outputs off. Stereo should have power and cd should work but not have any sound. Kinda something like this?
Interesting...I ALWAYS wondered what the deal was with my '87. How would you go about fixing that problem? Not that I have to worry about it anymore, but I actually drove my Vette for about three years with NO radio! I got use to it, and enjoyed listening to my exhaust note. Every once in a while I'd hear a crackling and popping in my speakers and when I'd hear that I knew I could turn on the radio and listen to it, but it usually didn't last long.

James
1N189
1N189 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Agent 86
DC Crew

Member #13864

My Corvette(s)
1986 4+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
I hope I'm not leading you astray, as I see you have a '91. But in the earlier C4's there's a Bose Amplifier Relay that switches all the amp's on and off. I could see this relay overheating or having a weak coil and disconnecting, then resetting when it cools off or gets jarred. I had one go out on my '86. Everything seemed to work, but no sound. It was a TOTAL PITA to replace, but IIRC, only $12.00.
Bose amp relay is suspect #1
Agent 86 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
motiv8rnc
DC Crew

Member #44659

My Corvette(s)
1991 Covette Convertible

where can i find that relay for 12.00? and that is under my glove box where all my radio wire head to? if im thinking of the right spot... i dont care about a pain in the A** getting to. i just want my radio back.....
motiv8rnc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
rayquayle
DC Crew

Member #47849

My Corvette(s)
1986 Indy Pace Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8rnc View Post
that is under my glove box where all my radio wire head to? if im thinking of the right spot... i dont care about a pain in the A** getting to. i just want my radio back.....
No, the Bose Amplifier Relay is under the Driver side dash toward the trans tunnel. Should be two relays there, outboard of the Turn Flasher. Amplifier Relay is the inboard relay, closest to the Flasher.
rayquayle is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Ray Quayle
'86 Indy PaceCar, 4+3 (6895 of 7315)
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
onedef92
Daily News

Member #64219

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Coupe

Do you have the Bose Gold Series head unit? If it's not your amp relay, it's that damned CDM (tuner module) located under the passenger side dash. Good luck gettin' that mofo out.

You damned near have to be a midget contortionist to wrestle it out and forget about gettting it re-installed all neat and purdy like it came O.E.M.

Obviously, the assembly line cat put it in before it was bolted in place under the dash. I rank it ALMOST as big a PITA as the dreaded C-4 heater core removal.
onedef92 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1992 LT1 Coupe, Brilliant Red Metallic on black leather interior, A-4 auto, FX-3. More than 120,000 miles and still runnin' like new money.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
cortlandfire
DC Crew

Member #56141

My Corvette(s)
C4-1994 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
Do you have the Bose Gold Series head unit? If it's not your amp relay, it's that damned CDM (tuner module) located under the passenger side dash. Good luck gettin' that mofo out.

You damned near have to be a midget contortionist to wrestle it out and forget about gettting it re-installed all neat and purdy like it came O.E.M.

Obviously, the assembly line cat put it in before it was bolted in place under the dash. I rank it ALMOST as big a PITA as the dreaded C-4 heater core removal.
i have a extra one,(RECIEVER) won`t work on my 94.mines behind pas seat,
cortlandfire is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
onedef92
Daily News

Member #64219

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortlandfire View Post
i have a extra one,(RECIEVER) won`t work on my 94.mines behind pas seat,
Yeah, the engineers thankfully changed the location in 1994 through '96.
onedef92 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1992 LT1 Coupe, Brilliant Red Metallic on black leather interior, A-4 auto, FX-3. More than 120,000 miles and still runnin' like new money.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #12
cortlandfire
DC Crew

Member #56141

My Corvette(s)
C4-1994 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
Yeah, the engineers thankfully changed the location in 1994 through '96.
still a pain to get back in,,
cortlandfire is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.