Traction System/Reduced Engine Power - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - Technical | Performance | Aftermarket
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - Technical | Performance | Aftermarket Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
SCCA VET
DC Crew

Member #62333

My Corvette(s)
1997 C5 Coupe

Angry Traction System/Reduced Engine Power

I recently began experiencing what appears to be an electronic sensor problem with my '97 coupe. With no forewarning the display will say "service traction system" and then "reduced engine power". At this time I will have to pull over and shut the car down for a few minutes before refiring. The car will usually behave normally after this sequence, but the Service Engine light does stay on. I have pulled the codes and reset them a few times and the Service Engine light will go out, but once the problem occurrs again the same codes appear. My local Chevy dealership had the car for two days and was unable to track down the cause of this issue. Has anyone out there ever seen similar behavior from their C5?

The four codes are...

10-PCM: P1125 - App system, P1276 - App sensor circuit 1 performance, P1571 - ASR desired torque.

28-TCS: C1278 - TCS temporarily inhibited by PCM.

This is really becoming a pain in the neck and has unfortunatley lowered my confidence in even taking the car out at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SCCA VET is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
jmaal13
DC Crew

Member #39741

My Corvette(s)
TORCH RED C5

Was it acting up before this strange weather we are having?
jmaal13 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My C5 is torch red, with that being said:
TORCH EM
Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
SCCA VET
DC Crew

Member #62333

My Corvette(s)
1997 C5 Coupe

jmaall13 - I purchased the car in July and did not experience the problem for the first time until a very wet October day. After this initial occurrence it happened one additional time, also on a very wet day. However, in the past three weeks the problem has become much more frequent. My initial thought was moisture in a sensor somewhere that may be freezing and causing the malfunction. I did drive the car yesterday and today with no issues whatsoever.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Anthony01
DC Crew

Member #45625

My Corvette(s)
2001 S/C corvette coupe

here is a GM bulletin I found regarding DTC p1125

Document ID# 410906
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: REDUCED ENG. POW. MESSAGE ALONG W/ PARTIC. PWRTRAIN, DTCs P1516, P1518 and/or P1125 #87-65-16 - (03/24/1998)

SUBJECT: REDUCED ENGINE POWER MESSAGE ALONG WITH PARTICULAR POWERTRAIN TROUBLE CODES (INSTALL NEW TAC-MODULE IF STRATEGY IN SERVICE MANUAL FAILS)

MODELS: 1997-98 CHEVROLET CORVETTE WITH 5.7L V8 ENGINE (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION #1: INTERMITTENT REDUCED ENGINE POWER EVENT, ACCOMPANIED BY P-1516, OR P1518 TROUBLE CODES.

IF A SITUATION ARISES WHERE A P-1516 TROUBLE CODE IS ACCOMPANIED BY A

P-1120 AND/OR P-1220 TROUBLE CODE, THIS SERVICE BULLETIN DOES NOT ----------------------------------------------------------------- APPLY. IN THESE CASES THE TECHNICIAN MUST USE THE NORMAL STRATEGY ------------------------------------------------------------------ BASED DIAGNOSTIC. -----------------

CONDITION #2: INTERMITTENT REDUCED ENGINE POWER ACCOMPANIED BY TROUBLE CODE P-1125 AND ANY OF THE FOLLOWING TROUBLE CODES:

P-1276 P-1281 P-1286

CAUSE:

CONDITION MAY BE DUE TO DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE AND CALIBRATION IN THE TAC-MODULE WERE NOT OPTIMALLY UTILIZED.

CORRECTION:

IF THE ABOVE CONDITIONS CANNOT BE CORRECTED USING THE NORMAL STRATEGY BASED DIAGNOSTICS LISTED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL, INSTALL THE NEW TAC- MODULE LISTED BELOW.

PART INFORMATION:

NEW TAC-MODULE PART # 25319443

PARTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE ON APRIL 6, 1998 FROM GMSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OPERATION: J-5582 LABOR TIME: 0.5 HR

FIGURES: 00 ATTACHMENTS: 00

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1998. GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Anthony01 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Anthony01
DC Crew

Member #45625

My Corvette(s)
2001 S/C corvette coupe

Update, I checked w/ my parts dept. and there is a new , new udated part #

Your cost at a dealer would be 323+tax. If that is whats wrong w/ it, I can get it for you at $230+tax. Just letting you know
Anthony01 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
SCCA VET
DC Crew

Member #62333

My Corvette(s)
1997 C5 Coupe

Anthony01 - Thanks for the information. I will investigate this possibility with my personal mechanic, not my local Chevy dealership, and see if he can confirm or deny. It is a great comfort to at least have an idea as to the problem being that the Chevy dealer seemed stumped. This is a great website for Corvette lovers/owners which only exists because of the willingness of the members to share their knowledge with others. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
devilvette
DC Crew

Member #54820

My Corvette(s)
2007 coupe

i had the same problem with my 2000. the problem on my c5 was the connector for the door control pad was loose and note making a good connection. this is a very common problem. look under your dash on both sides there will be a square rubber cover that gives you access to the door pad wireing. pry it off and look for the wire conector in there. wiggle it to see if you have a loose connection. then unplug it to ensure there is no dirt or rust in there. i hope this helps solve your problem
devilvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
RDZEPLN

Member #66926

My Corvette(s)
1992 VERT(sold) & 2002 VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA VET View Post
I recently began experiencing what appears to be an electronic sensor problem with my '97 coupe. With no forewarning the display will say "service traction system" and then "reduced engine power". At this time I will have to pull over and shut the car down for a few minutes before refiring. The car will usually behave normally after this sequence, but the Service Engine light does stay on. I have pulled the codes and reset them a few times and the Service Engine light will go out, but once the problem occurrs again the same codes appear. My local Chevy dealership had the car for two days and was unable to track down the cause of this issue. Has anyone out there ever seen similar behavior from their C5?

The four codes are...

10-PCM: P1125 - App system, P1276 - App sensor circuit 1 performance, P1571 - ASR desired torque.

28-TCS: C1278 - TCS temporarily inhibited by PCM.

This is really becoming a pain in the neck and has unfortunatley lowered my confidence in even taking the car out at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TODAY ON MY 2002.ALL MESSAGES CANCELLED AFTER RESTART,BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYED ON.THE MANUAL SAID TO CHECK GASCAP,I RE-TIGHTENED IT AND LIGHT WENT OUT AND IT DROVE FINE...???? ZEPMAN
RDZEPLN is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
z06vette006
DC Crew

Member #42336

My Corvette(s)
Z06vetee 2001

I happened also to my car i went to Chevy dealership and they just replaced a sensor under the Steering Wheel.
Thanks,
z06vette006 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-Z06 vette 2001 ( OO I__I OO )
-AFR Heads 205 CC
-Comp Cams 224/228 LSA 114 racing Camshaft
-FLP long tube Heders .
-B&B Bullet Exhuast system .
-CORSA X-pipe.
-Vraram air intake system.
-Spec Star Stage 3 Clutch with bullit steel flywheel .
-Custom tuned Computer .
-Shifter
Old 05-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
hallenti
DC Crew

Member #63653

My Corvette(s)
1999 coupe

I had a similar issue, but in my case, fuse #17 in the under-hood panel would blow. First time it just happened once and I replaced the fuse and it was fine for 9 months. After that time, the fuse blew and replacing it just blew the new one. I had the car towed to the dealer, and they had it just short of two weeks, waiting on parte. Initially, the Throttle Control Module was at fault (if they disconnected it, then the fuse would not blow).

After installing the new part, then the fuse no longer blew, but they received codes relating to the Powertrain Control Module. They ordered the part and then the codes were gone. About two weeks after the $1,400 repair, the fuse blew again, but a replacement didn't and I was fine. I called the service department to "log" the issue, in case it happened again. It did about two weeks after that. One fuse blew, the replacement did, but then it was OK. A call to the service department again, and this time they suggested I bring it in.

After two hours in the shop, they could not find anything wrong and sent me on my way. They had checked for chafing wires in the area undet the battery where the modules are, for over-amperage on the throttle motor itself, and some genetal wiring checks and found no issues.

Last night (Saturday), it happened again, but replacement fuses blew so I had to have it towed there and Monday they will have to start again. In case anyone happens to have any additional ideas, here is a short check-list:

Time #1: Car was warned up, running and in motion when the fuse blew, but replacement fuse did not blow. Worked for 9+ months until time #2.

Time #2: Car was warm, happened at startup after sitting about 2 hours, car not in motion. Replacement fuse did not blow.

Time #3: Car was warm, happened at startup after sitting about 30 minutes, car not in motion. Replacement fuse blew. Second replacement fuse did not blow.

Time #4: Car was warmed up, running and in motion when fuse blew. Replacement fused (several 15 amp units) blew when I gave up and called for a tow.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Tim hallenti@gmail.com
hallenti is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
z06vette006
DC Crew

Member #42336

My Corvette(s)
Z06vetee 2001

Reduce Engine Power Again

Today my car gave the same message to me after fixing it by the dealer

Reduce engine power and it will start slow the speed up to the 80 Km

I do not know what to do now

Any help will be appreciated guys.

Last edited by z06vette006; 05-29-2008 at 09:38 AM.
-AFR Heads 205 CC
-FLP long tube Heders .
-CORSA X-pipe.
-Custom tuned Computer .
-Shifter
Old 05-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
hallenti
DC Crew

Member #63653

My Corvette(s)
1999 coupe

Mine is now back from the dealer. They were "90% sure" that is HAD to be the motor that is part of the throttle body, so they replaced that. The motor is NSS (not serviced separately) and so I had to buy the throttle body, motor and throttle position sensor. It has been a week since the repair, and I have had no trouble with it. The theory is that the motor had an intermittent high-current draw. Guess we well see if that was the issue or not. I will report back after another week or so.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
z06vette006
DC Crew

Member #42336

My Corvette(s)
Z06vetee 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallenti View Post
Mine is now back from the dealer. They were "90% sure" that is HAD to be the motor that is part of the throttle body, so they replaced that. The motor is NSS (not serviced separately) and so I had to buy the throttle body, motor and throttle position sensor. It has been a week since the repair, and I have had no trouble with it. The theory is that the motor had an intermittent high-current draw. Guess we well see if that was the issue or not. I will report back after another week or so.
Thanks Hallenti

Can u tell us the cost of repair.

& how can I repair it my self, Where is the place of that throttle body, motor and throttle position sensor

Peace.
-AFR Heads 205 CC
-FLP long tube Heders .
-CORSA X-pipe.
-Custom tuned Computer .
-Shifter
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
hallenti
DC Crew

Member #63653

My Corvette(s)
1999 coupe

The replacement throttle body through GM plus 2.5 hours labor was a little over $900. Since it came from GM with the motor and throttle position sensor installed and set, it is a simple matter of removing the old and replacing it with the new throttle body assembly.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #15
z06vette006
DC Crew

Member #42336

My Corvette(s)
Z06vetee 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallenti View Post
The replacement throttle body through GM plus 2.5 hours labor was a little over $900. Since it came from GM with the motor and throttle position sensor installed and set, it is a simple matter of removing the old and replacing it with the new throttle body assembly.
Sorry one more request from U buddy

I need the part number.

GM did not understand what is this and they ask for the part number if U have.

Peace,
-AFR Heads 205 CC
-FLP long tube Heders .
-CORSA X-pipe.
-Custom tuned Computer .
-Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.