what dana 36 parts interchange w/dana44? What are various danna 44 parts worth? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
turbotim23
DC Crew

Member #68895

My Corvette(s)
c4 corvette

what dana 36 parts interchange w/dana44? What are various danna 44 parts worth?

Hi I want to change to a dana 44 rearend in my 93 corvette. Rather than buy a complete dana 44 assembly used and swap Has anyone peiced this together using as much of your dana 36 parts as you can? I think you could reuse brakes,supension,reuse front support by redrilling bolt holes,cut front and side driveshafts shorter[are ft and side shafts shorter but ujoints the same size on dana44?] and rebalance.Then all you need is dana 44 axle housing [maybe one that needs work,rebuild it way you want it] , Batwing. Any others parts needed for sure? Can you give me a idea what these parts go for? Are all dana 44's posi's or just some of them? Thanks Tim
turbotim23 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
BASSIST
DC Crew

Member #32754

I sent a PM to a member who knows a little bit about these

He should chime in shortly
BASSIST is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Vis Croceus
DC Crew

Member #30519

My Corvette(s)
94 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotim23 View Post
Hi I want to change to a dana 44 rearend in my 93 corvette. Rather than buy a complete dana 44 assembly used and swap Has anyone peiced this together using as much of your dana 36 parts as you can? I think you could reuse brakes,supension,reuse front support by redrilling bolt holes,cut front and side driveshafts shorter[are ft and side shafts shorter but ujoints the same size on dana44?] and rebalance.Then all you need is dana 44 axle housing [maybe one that needs work,rebuild it way you want it] , Batwing. Any others parts needed for sure? Can you give me a idea what these parts go for? Are all dana 44's posi's or just some of them? Thanks Tim
The only part of the D44 suspension that is expensive is the D44.

You don't need the whole suspension, if that's what you're thinking. Nobody buys a whole D44 rear suspension just to swap from a D36. You buy the D44, batwing, driveshaft, and C-beam.

If you search on CF people have made all sorts of cobbled together things work - I think someone has even used a D36 batwing. But why cobble things together to save $150-200?
Vis Croceus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Notorious
DC Crew

Member #8004

My Corvette(s)
LT1 coupe- extensive mods

There is a modification that allows the use of a D36 batwing with a D44. It's a custom machined plate that actually reinforces the differential assembly. This is a custom machined part though and would likely cost more than simply buying the entire D44 assembly, if you're unable to fabricate it yourself. I have a template for it though.
The D44 and batwing, C-beam and driveshaft, with your A4 yoke installed on it are all you need though. All C4 halfshafts are the same, there are no suspension differences between D36 and D44 cars of the early or late designs, etc.
Actually some have claimed to use their D36 driveshaft as is but ideally it should be shortened one inch if a D44 shaft is not available. Likewise the D36 C beam can be redrilled at the front for the slightly shorter effective length. I'd recommended fabbing some reinforcing plates though were I doing this, something along the line of the beam plates that are available. They're nice pieces but too expensive IMO for what they are. Building your own is a piece of cake.
Notorious is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
LT1 coupe - modded all to hell and from end to end, with a stroked LT1

If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.
~ Frank Zappa ~
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
turbotim23
DC Crew

Member #68895

My Corvette(s)
c4 corvette

I might be interested in template, I have a tig welder but no machine shop tools. I still need a anwser on if all corvette rearends are posi's, I noticed on pictures of them they don't have a locking unit in center like older ones I'm used to. They have spider gears,this allways on older pegs was a sign of being a open rearend and not posi. Also what's a good price on peg and batwing. I've seen the peg go for over 900.00 and batwing over 600.00 on Ebay. Thanks Tim
turbotim23 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.