Transmission and Oil Leak Questions - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
eguyett1985
DC Crew

Member #68190

My Corvette(s)
1985 Corvette(s)

Transmission and Oil Leak Questions

I've been breaking in my new engine and sorting out some minor details over the past couple of weeks but I'm still having two problems that are leaving me kinda frustrated. First, I installed a Moroso fabricated trans pan on my 700R4 only to find that it leaked like crazy from the pan gasket. I remedied that with a trip to the machine shop to have the pan surfaced (must have warped slightly during production) and I changed from a neoprene to a die cut fiber type pan gasket and that problem was solved. Then after putting about 50 miles on the car and letting it sit overnight up in the air on my hoist I noticed there was a slight leak from one of the front pump bolts and the area where the front pump slides into the case. Now, this is really slight so yesterday I picked up some Lucas transmission stop leak and shift improver and put in about 1/3 of a bottle and drove the car, came back and put it up in the air and didn't see any leaking then but the real test I guess will be when it cools off and the casting shrinks I guess. I've never really used any of this type of stuff and wondering if anybody has any experience with it. I really don't want to pull the trans for such a minor problem but I may still have to. Second, I've been chasing what I think must be a minor oil leak that seems to collect on the machined bottom rear surface of the block around the oil filter and on the other side around the starter. I've looked closely at the rear main seal area and don't see any leaking from the back of the pan and I've checked the oil temp sender on the LH side of the block and gone in and removed all of the wiring at the rear of the block on two occasions now and with a mirror and a flashlight looked at the back of the intake, the distributor gasket, and the oil pressure senders and tree and can't find anything. The valve covers are totally dry too. So, yesterday I put some of the UV dye in the oil and drove the car about 30min, came back put it up in the air and shut off the lights and saw some slight oil on the lower part of the block but none with any dye in it... so I'm wondering if that might be some residual oil from when I assembled the engine or something?? Any suggestions?
eguyett1985 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1985 Corvette Z51 A4, 408ci, SR, Scat 4340 Crank, 6" Rods, Ross 10.3:1's, Dart Pro1 200's, Comp HR, LPE, LT's, DFI Gen7 w/WB02 with lots of help from Autotrend EFI, 2400 Trans Spec. Conv, JET Valve Body, D44 w/3.07's, Guldstrand GS80 Suspension & Rollbar, Custom Wilwood 6p Front Kit, Callaway Dymags, BFG's
1985 Corvette Z51 A4, L98, Azzato Chip, Flowmasters, & Some Hand-me-downs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
William C Mc
DC Crew

Member #51115

My Corvette(s)
1985 Corvette Coupe

Smile oil leak

Usually stop leak transmission conditioner has seal swelling agents in it which will stop a minor transmission leak,but I dont think it would cure a oil pump bolt leak.Depending on the year of the trans it may have a rubberized washer or a o ring around the bolt head.I usually find the bolt is actually loose which causes the leak,but if its small I dont think I would pull the trans for that.On the engine oil leak maybe spray some brake clean on your engine when its cool,dry it off and then check for leaks.
William C Mc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.