Rear Differential Fluid - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Evilpat
DC Crew

Member #67055

My Corvette(s)
1994 AQUA Metallic Blue C4

Rear Differential Fluid

I have a 94 vette and I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid, and I'm wondering when the rear differential fluid should be changed? The car has 58,000 miles on it. Also does anyone have estimates on how long the water pump lasts? I 've had no issues that I know of, but I figure I maybe should have it replaced before it does leak and wreck the opti spark.
Thanks
Evilpat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
jrzvette
DC Crew

Member #47743

My Corvette(s)
1993 coupe

Surprisingly, GM gives no interval for changing diff fluid but there's a write up on C4Guru that shows how to change it.

http://www.c4guru.com/articles/Chang...ntialFluid.pdf

Water pumps can last 70,000 miles or 150,000. The can also crap out after 10,000. If yours is ok you can hook up a drain tube to the weep hole to channel any leaking coolant away from the opti so that when it does give out it won't take the opti with it.

Last edited by jrzvette; 02-08-2008 at 03:05 PM.
jrzvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

I'd change it out. It's cheap and quick.
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Vis Croceus
DC Crew

Member #30519

My Corvette(s)
94 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpat View Post
I have a 94 vette and I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid, and I'm wondering when the rear differential fluid should be changed? The car has 58,000 miles on it. Also does anyone have estimates on how long the water pump lasts? I 've had no issues that I know of, but I figure I maybe should have it replaced before it does leak and wreck the opti spark.
Thanks
I'd change both.

30k is a good interval for diff oil, and a whole lot of LT1 WPs fail in the 60-70k range.

Change any other original fluids, like the PSF, while you're at it.
Vis Croceus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
arizonaames
DC Crew

Member #68798

My Corvette(s)
1987 L98 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpat View Post
Thanks
Change all of the fluids and filters. The brake fluid is probably turning black along with the PS fluid....empty and change both. The differential fluid is also on the black side and needs to be changed with 2 /4oz cans of slip dif fluid...(recommend dealer item although you can get cheaper). Change out the antifreeze (good time for a flush to get crap out of heater core.....rinse twice) and use the green stuff and not the red stuff that eats gaskets....Change fuel filter....filters. Change oil and oil filter to Mobil 1 or similar full sythetic ( I like Castrol myself). Check ac fluid and check system ( replace weak or damaged condensor and hoses if necessary and replace ac fluids. Replace trans fluid and filter and clean out black filings from magnet. Add injector cleaner to tank with 21 gal of fuel and run until empty and do again. Have fun!
arizonaames is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaames View Post
Change all of the fluids and filters. The brake fluid is probably turning black along with the PS fluid....empty and change both. The differential fluid is also on the black side and needs to be changed with 2 /4oz cans of slip dif fluid...(recommend dealer item although you can get cheaper). Change out the antifreeze (good time for a flush to get crap out of heater core.....rinse twice) and use the green stuff and not the red stuff that eats gaskets....Change fuel filter....filters. Change oil and oil filter to Mobil 1 or similar full sythetic ( I like Castrol myself). Check ac fluid and check system ( replace weak or damaged condensor and hoses if necessary and replace ac fluids. Replace trans fluid and filter and clean out black filings from magnet. Add injector cleaner to tank with 21 gal of fuel and run until empty and do again. Have fun!
I am a firm believer in new fluids, and keeping fluids new. It'll be the life of your vehicle, and save you many dollars in repairs. An ounce of prevention.....

Hey Arizonaames, you live in my hometown! Ever make it South, down the Spars? Great driving country!
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 02-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
jrzvette
DC Crew

Member #47743

My Corvette(s)
1993 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaames View Post

One caution, if you or a previous owner changed the antifreeze to DexCool (the red stuff) either continue using it or make sure you get every last drop of it out of your cooling system before replaceing it with green. The two don't mix and you'll wind up with a cooling system full of jello.
jrzvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.