What is compression distance? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
gkz
DC Crew

Member #63236

My Corvette(s)
'75 vert

What is compression distance?

I did a search on google/ask and found nothing but calculators; Can someone at least attempt a definition? I have a choice between 1.56" and 1.54." Thanks...
gkz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
ytram
DC Crew

Member #26356

My Corvette(s)
2001 YELLOW Z06

I think it is the distance from the center of the wrist pin to the top of the piston.
ytram is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
gkz
DC Crew

Member #63236

My Corvette(s)
'75 vert

Ok, compensates for decking?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
glenn64vette
DC Crew

Member #64659

My Corvette(s)
64 SB 400 Dual Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytram View Post
I think it is the distance from the center of the wrist pin to the top of the piston.
That's compression height.
glenn64vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
64 Vette Roadster 400 ci
70 Thunderbird 429 ci
48 Harley Pan Head 76 ci
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

the pistons quench area or flat deck is supposed to come within a few thousands of an inch of the deck in most combos and its not unusually for the piston quench area to reach the deck or even stick out above the deck a couple thousands, this deck or quench area is a set distance from the piston PIN center line ,the dome on a high compression piston reaches well up into the combustion chamber, at times easily 3/8" or more on some big block engines

you figure the COMPRESSION HEIGHT by subtracting 1/2 of the crank stroke plus the rod length measured from piston pin center line to crank pin centerline subtracted from the blocks deck height, to get the piston compression height

EXAMPLE
on a small block chevy the deck height is 9" -9.023 if its never been deck milled
if you use a 6" rod and are building a 383 with its 3.75" stroke your dealing with a 6" plus 1.875" stroke subtracted from a 9"-9.023" deck height that results in a piston deck height of 1.125-1.130" compression height being correct

http://kb-silvolite.com/forged.php?a...tails&P_id=391

remember the QUENCH distance should be between about .037 and .044 (thats the distance between the cylinder head and the piston deck) and theres a compressed GASKET between the two so you need to measure, lets say your decks never been milled and you have a block measuring 9.021 for the deck, the piston sticks up to within .015 thousands of the deck in this example (6" rod,1.875 stroke, 1.130 compression height = 9.005 subtracted from 9.021" so the quench WITHOUT a gasket would be .015 so you need to add about a .028 thick gasket

http://kb-silvolite.com/forged.php?a...tails&P_id=352

grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 02-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
mrvette
Account Disabled.

Member #59755

My Corvette(s)
'72 hotrod custom

WHICH is why I don't build short blocks....I can and have done cams, lifter, heads....

ain't no friggin' way man.....NFW.....

mrvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

GENE

IT is not the SIZE of the problem, but the perfection of the solution......

Airheads are immune to logic and common sense.

www.mrvette.shutterfly.com
Old 02-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
glenn64vette
DC Crew

Member #64659

My Corvette(s)
64 SB 400 Dual Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
the pistons quench area or flat deck is supposed to come within a few thousands of an inch of the deck in most combos and its not unusually for the piston quench area to reach the deck or even stick out above the deck a couple thousands, this deck or quench area is a set distance from the piston PIN center line ,the dome on a high compression piston reaches well up into the combustion chamber, at times easily 3/8" or more on some big block engines

you figure the COMPRESSION HEIGHT by subtracting 1/2 of the crank stroke plus the rod length measured from piston pin center line to crank pin centerline subtracted from the blocks deck height, to get the piston compression height

EXAMPLE
on a small block chevy the deck height is 9" -9.023 if its never been deck milled
if you use a 6" rod and are building a 383 with its 3.75" stroke your dealing with a 6" plus 1.875" stroke subtracted from a 9"-9.023" deck height that results in a piston deck height of 1.125-1.130" compression height being correct

http://kb-silvolite.com/forged.php?a...tails&P_id=391

remember the QUENCH distance should be between about .037 and .044 (thats the distance between the cylinder head and the piston deck) and theres a compressed GASKET between the two so you need to measure, lets say your decks never been milled and you have a block measuring 9.021 for the deck, the piston sticks up to within .015 thousands of the deck in this example (6" rod,1.875 stroke, 1.130 compression height = 9.005 subtracted from 9.021" so the quench WITHOUT a gasket would be .015 so you need to add about a .028 thick gasket

http://kb-silvolite.com/forged.php?a...tails&P_id=352

Good stuff!
When all done with my 400 I ended up with .048 quench. I have run it closer, but with anything less than .035 I get worried. I have seen engines with less than .035 quench and the piston was PERFECTLY clean in that area, so was the head. Even a little mark on the top of the piston matching the shape of the quench area on the head. Can give you cause for concern.
glenn64vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
64 Vette Roadster 400 ci
70 Thunderbird 429 ci
48 Harley Pan Head 76 ci
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

"the piston was PERFECTLY clean in that area, so was the head"

THATS a GOOD indicator that the QUENCH/SQUISH function is working correctly AS its SUPPOSED TOO! the idea is to force the fuel/air mix at very high speeds into the center of the cylinder to speed up the burn rate and lower both emmisions and increase the potential HP because youll expend far less of the cylinders pressure curve resisting the piston as it approaches TDC on the compression stroke and use a larger percentage of the pressure that results from the fuel air mix being ignited durring the power stroke where it produces usefull TORQUE
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
gkz
DC Crew

Member #63236

My Corvette(s)
'75 vert

So is "compression height" the same as saying "compression distance?" BTW, great info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.