Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums (https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/index.php)
-   C8 Corvette (https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Is Less Better? Spy pic.... (https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293478)

Longtimer 05-21-2019 09:46 PM

Is Less Better? Spy pic....
 
...NOT LESS cammo unfortunately. Less Corvette. Here's a C8 out testing WITHOUT A SPOILER!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g2...pe-spy-photos/

All of that black tape-looking stuff is Velcro that held cammo panels on in prior spy pics.

Does this mean that the rear deck spoiler was just cammo?

Sides seem to be more sculpted.

stinger430 05-22-2019 06:56 AM

Looks a bit leaner now.

-Judging from the velcro on the top edge of the door it seems to me that there was some cammo going up from the door to the bottom bit of the window. I suspected as much.

-Rear end certainly looks more sculpted.

-To my eyes the side scoop still doesn't gel with the rear haunches. Might still be cammo on there....I hope.

-Front end still has me confused. Sometimes I think it has a severe short front overhang, which looks too stubby to me. In other pics the front overhang looks more generous, which I like.

-Looks like a targa top with the C6's double bubble. Nice.

Night Stalker 05-24-2019 04:55 AM

Never a fan of rear wing's.I call em Ironing Boards.

PNHNDLE96CE 05-24-2019 08:12 AM

Maybe this is the base car and the spoiler car is the Z51 car. Either way I like the look without the spoiler right now.

Maniacmechanic1 05-24-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Stalker (Post 3435498)
Never a fan of rear wing's.I call em Ironing Boards.

It's part of the Aero package.
Will help to Win Lemans.

Have to trust LONGTIMER.

Longtimer 05-24-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 (Post 3435538)
It's part of the Aero package.
Will help to Win Lemans.

Have to trust LONGTIMER.

My bet is the LeMans spoiler will be much bigger and it will definitely help traction at LeMans.

It's not that I don't like all spoilers, but the one we have seen to date on almost all of the prototypes does not look good to me and the rear without it looks much cleaner. Frankly I'm not sure at what speed a spoiler makes any difference for a rear-midengined weight bias...might pretty high like 150mph. The rest of the time it's just an aerodynamic drag(?).

Playmate 05-24-2019 03:32 PM

:agree:

Maniacmechanic1 05-24-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longtimer (Post 3435548)
My bet is the LeMans spoiler will be much bigger and it will definitely help traction at LeMans.

It's not that I don't like all spoilers, but the one we have seen to date on almost all of the prototypes does not look good to me and the rear without it looks much cleaner. Frankly I'm not sure at what speed a spoiler makes any difference for a rear-midengined weight bias...might pretty high like 150mph. The rest of the time it's just an aerodynamic drag(?).

I can't say for sure either.
Airflow is not constant over a car.
At speeds over 100 the Aero drag I have been told is 1 to 4th power.

It's Mopar but Richard Petty took A Superbird or Daytona to Bonneville and ran 300 mph. NASCAR special with 1000 Hp Hemi 426.
So that big wing did something ok.

Longtimer 05-25-2019 02:23 AM

I think I've commented here in the past that I recall in the late '60s one of the big car rags tested the downforce on a '67 Camaro Z-28 with no spoiler and with the stock spoiler at 3 or four different speeds. At that time the numbers and the photos at speed, indicated that for the Camaro, the spoiler started providing measurable downforce just above 100 MPH. Camaros were, of course, always light in the tail.

This was LONG before wind tunnels began to influence design of course. Oh well, not long to wait now.

The Torch 05-25-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Stalker (Post 3435498)
Never a fan of rear wing's.I call em Ironing Boards.

They also make nice serving tables at picnics

Maniacmechanic1 05-25-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Torch (Post 3435588)
They also make nice serving tables at picnics


:laughing:


The C8 Just needs to Win Lemans.

Longtimer 05-27-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinger430 (Post 3435402)
-Front end still has me confused. Sometimes I think it has a severe short front overhang, which looks too stubby to me. In other pics the front overhang looks more generous, which I like.

Take a close look at the C8 front fascia pic. Notice that at the right the Fascia seems to fall back pretty quickly. That would indicate that the front is NOT blunt but pretty "V"ed.
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...p-121259_1.jpg

raidmagic 05-28-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Torch (Post 3435588)
They also make nice serving tables at picnics

I'm not saying I haven't used it as a table.:D

https://i.ibb.co/WBmSqb4/20180720-153245.jpg

stinger430 05-28-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longtimer (Post 3435928)
Take a close look at the C8 front fascia pic. Notice that at the right the Fascia seems to fall back pretty quickly. That would indicate that the front is NOT blunt but pretty "V"ed.

Yep! I see what you mean LT. Right you are

:cheers:

Ugolino 06-13-2019 05:11 PM

With the introduction of each new generation I feel like a kid again. When the C4 came out I salivated over it, and the first time I saw one in person I was astonished at how beautiful it was. My 2017 coupe is an excellent car, I couldn't be happier, but I did put a deposit on a 2020 because I absolutely have to have a C8. What can I say, the suspense is killing me.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved