Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums (https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/index.php)
-   C8 Corvette (https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Why is GM debuting the C8 on 7-18-19? (https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293592)

Longtimer 06-08-2019 01:46 AM

Why is GM debuting the C8 on 7-18-19?
 
There is a lot of speculation about the choice of debuting the C8 on 7-18-19. WHY that day? Most speculation about why in Orange County is centered on the unproven highest number of mid-engine cars per square mile than anywhere else in the USA. I live here and would not say that is a lie, but why isn't it Beverly Hills or some swank place in Florida?

Regardless, why 7-18-19. I've only seen one explanation that makes sense to me. The 755HP C7 Corvette ZR1 holds the fastest track time of any production Corvette ever at the Nurburgring with a 7 minutes, 19.63 seconds lap. If the C8 'base' Stingray (rumored at 500 HP) laps the 'ring at 7 minutes, 18.19 seconds......well THAT would be a marketing nirvana time and the temptation to use the date that matches the time could be overwhelming.

So what if, the BASE C8 eclipses the ZR1 time!!??! The C6 400HP base model had performance stats that either passed or came close to the 505HP C5 Z06. The 460HP C7 Z-51 Stingray when introduced came close to the performance level of the 505HP C6 Z06. So IF this IS the 'ring time for the C8 Stingray, the handling improvement message is undeniable.

The Torch 06-08-2019 03:58 AM

Interesting theory. Just be glad the purported time wasn't 7 minutes 18.23 seconds:laughing:

Maniacmechanic1 06-08-2019 07:45 AM

A Race Car Is Worthless without a Chassis that works Longtimer.

All my Betting Money is on the C8 too.

StillCrazy 06-10-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longtimer (Post 3436508)
There is a lot of speculation about the choice of debuting the C8 on 7-18-19. WHY that day? Most speculation about why in Orange County is centered on the unproven highest number of mid-engine cars per square mile than anywhere else in the USA. I live here and would not say that is a lie, but why isn't it Beverly Hills or some swank place in Florida?

Regardless, why 7-18-19. I've only seen one explanation that makes sense to me. The 755HP C7 Corvette ZR1 holds the fastest track time of any production Corvette ever at the Nurburgring with a 7 minutes, 19.63 seconds lap. If the C8 'base' Stingray (rumored at 500 HP) laps the 'ring at 7 minutes, 18.19 seconds......well THAT would be a marketing nirvana time and the temptation to use the date that matches the time could be overwhelming.

So what if, the BASE C8 eclipses the ZR1 time!!??! The C6 400HP base model had performance stats that either passed or came close to the 505HP C5 Z06. The 460HP C7 Z-51 Stingray when introduced came close to the performance level of the 505HP C6 Z06. So IF this IS the 'ring time for the C8 Stingray, the handling improvement message is undeniable.

That makes as much since as anything else I heard since the announcement. Does anyone know where in orange county the debut to be.

Longtimer 06-10-2019 04:53 PM

I'm checking multiple times a day, but have not heard any leaks about the location as yet. As of now, I stand by my original SWAG, of Laguna Beach (most scenic IMO) or Dana Point (more room there to stage a small fleet of C8s that could take select reporters up to the VERY twisty Ortega Highway to show off the handling.

I was born in Santa Monica and as a teenager lived in OC and cruised Whittier Blvd and surfed at Huntington Beach (sometimes on the same day). I KNOW OC. We no longer even have a drag strip, much less a race track. At one time the closed El Toro Marine Air Base landing strips were used extensively as a test track for TV Car shows, but it is now deep into its conversion to housing tracts and parks.

The Anaheim Convention Center (across the street from D-land) is BIG, but no place to test drive a C8. The Angels' Big A stadium parking lot is huge but there is a game that night and why debut there? It's not a pretty area, nothing special. It's not far from D-land and the streets are pretty busy.

I am working with DC Admin hoping to wrangle an invitation to the debut from GM. It's a very long, long, long shot that this could happen, but I can guarantee you that on 7/17/19 and 7/18/19, I will be driving my C6 up and down Pacific Coast highway looking for any indication of a debut site...unless we hear more before then.

Maniacmechanic1 06-11-2019 01:48 PM

https://us.motorsport.com/nhra/news/...mpson/1924123/


Something for you to read Longtimer.
It has been almost 60 years since Mickey Thompson broke a bunch of FIA records at March Force Base.
It was in July.
Have not found the exact date online yet.
Have his Autobiography book put away.
It may be July 18, 1959.




A number of problems, including a spinout at 200 mph, parachute-braking difficulties, and the disconnection of the oxygen-supply system, thwarted Thompson's efforts in 1959, but he still managed to break his 294-mph record by an American with a 362.31-mph clocking. He came back in 1960 to hit 406.60-mph and break Cobb's one-way record of 403, but a broken driveshaft prevented him from making the required backup run within the allotted time of one hour, and the record was not officially certified.
Thompson, now a worldwide-known motorsports celebrity, decided to concentrate on FIA acceleration records, so he went to March Air Force Base in July with four different Pontiac cars: the Assault and Attempt streamliners, a Class F Dragmaster chassis sans body, and a 348-horsepower 389-cid Pontiac Catalina.
In one day, Thompson broke all eight international records and six of 10 American national records. The October 1961 issue of Car Life magazine reported: "The new records, plus the 28 world, international, and national records [Thompson] had established in 1959 and 1960 at March AFB and the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, gave him more [records] than any man has ever held at a given time."

StillCrazy 06-11-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longtimer (Post 3436664)
I'm checking multiple times a day, but have not heard any leaks about the location as yet. As of now, I stand by my original SWAG, of Laguna Beach (most scenic IMO) or Dana Point (more room there to stage a small fleet of C8s that could take select reporters up to the VERY twisty Ortega Highway to show off the handling.

I was born in Santa Monica and as a teenager lived in OC and cruised Whittier Blvd and surfed at Huntington Beach (sometimes on the same day). I KNOW OC. We no longer even have a drag strip, much less a race track. At one time the closed El Toro Marine Air Base landing strips were used extensively as a test track for TV Car shows, but it is now deep into its conversion to housing tracts and parks.

The Anaheim Convention Center (across the street from D-land) is BIG, but no place to test drive a C8. The Angels' Big A stadium parking lot is huge but there is a game that night and why debut there? It's not a pretty area, nothing special. It's not far from D-land and the streets are pretty busy.

I am working with DC Admin hoping to wrangle an invitation to the debut from GM. It's a very long, long, long shot that this could happen, but I can guarantee you that on 7/17/19 and 7/18/19, I will be driving my C6 up and down Pacific Coast highway looking for any indication of a debut site...unless we hear more before then.

I was thinking, that if we could nail down a location maybe that would be a good excuse for the Santa Clarita corvette club to show up in support of the C/8 and Southern Calif.

Longtimer 06-12-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 (Post 3436742)
It has been almost 60 years since Mickey Thompson broke a bunch of FIA records at March Force Base.

The problem with March Air Force Base is that it is in Riverside county with a wilderness mountain range between the base and OC. The fastest way to get there (assume one of the Beach Reveal locations) is about 1.5 - 2 hours drive on the twisty Ortega Highway going through the lower edge of the range. Taking freeway all the way up to the 91 freeway over to the 15 would travel some of the heaviest travelled freeways in So Cal and likely add another 30-40 minutes minimum to the Ortega time. Either way, getting Automotive journalists from likely debut locations out to March would result in a bunch of impatient, frustrated, tired and in a bad mood people about to write about the C8.

It IS possible that the debut will consist ONLY of a show and tell with NO driving for anyone on that day. This scenario might make the most sense give that OC IS THE reveal locale.

Maniacmechanic1 06-12-2019 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longtimer (Post 3436770)
The problem with March Air Force Base is that it is in Riverside county with a wilderness mountain range between the base and OC. The fastest way to get there (assume one of the Beach Reveal locations) is about 1.5 - 2 hours drive on the twisty Ortega Highway going through the lower edge of the range. Taking freeway all the way up to the 91 freeway over to the 15 would travel some of the heaviest travelled freeways in So Cal and likely add another 30-40 minutes minimum to the Ortega time. Either way, getting Automotive journalists from likely debut locations out to March would result in a bunch of impatient, frustrated, tired and in a bad mood people about to write about the C8.

It IS possible that the debut will consist ONLY of a show and tell with NO driving for anyone on that day. This scenario might make the most sense give that OC IS THE reveal locale.

It might be Show and Tell Day only 07-18-2019.

Gotta find that book today at my house.
I remember all major magazine Journalists were there at March Air Force Base.

Could shuttle them at night in Rockstar Motohome Buses.
Would only take 2 or 3 of them to carry all to M.A.F..B.
Do it at night.
Little traffic.
Same way in Chicago.
You can run 150-200+ if you want to.

Blast 07-22-2019 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longtimer (Post 3436508)
The C6 400HP base model had performance stats that either passed or came close to the 405HP C5 Z06.

Hey Longtimer.

This is not meant as negative, but you have the numbers mixed up (and I know you know the numbers so I know it's a typo).

C5 Z06 had the LS6 with 385/405hp.
C6 Z06 had the LS7 with 505hp.

Great post, and wow if what you're saying is true. Can't wait to see them numbers now.

// Stefan

Longtimer 07-22-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blast (Post 3438262)
Hey Longtimer.

This is not meant as negative, but you have the numbers mixed up (and I know you know the numbers so I know it's a typo).

C5 Z06 had the LS6 with 385/405hp.
C6 Z06 had the LS7 with 505hp.

Great post, and wow if what you're saying is true. Can't wait to see them numbers now.

// Stefan

Thanks - typo on my part. You are correct of course. I' m fixing the original so as not to confuse anyone.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved