super 10 bolt Differential - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #46
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

87vette70TA is an experienced & skilled mechanic, Id suggest you at least read thru his advice and consider the fact that hes built and repaired a wide selection of cars in the past
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #47
fatguyzinc
DC Crew

Member #146809

My Corvette(s)
1978 w/ 454

well, just for shits and giggles i looked at a GENERAL cost between beefing the stock rear to a toms 12 bolt conversion and building say a 66 nova 12 bolt and swapping it in... lets say on a car that makes 500RWHP as thats right about where stuff starts grenading...

the cost to upgrade to full 12 bolt specs with toms was OVER $5500 without tax or shipping--and thats assuming you can put it all together yourself. thats almost as much as i got in the whole car including buying it in the first place 20+ years ago ! not for me, thank you...

conversely, if you spent $500 on buying the nova or similar short 12 bolt housing, and then bought a super brute carrier, gears, bearings, and moser or mark williams shafts, you would be right around $1800. that leaves you a LOT of leeway to install the solid axle under your vette.

in fact, a FULLY built dana 60 from moser with 35 or 40 spline axles, posi, and your choice of gearing comes in at $2055 plus shipping--brakes are extra--and a dana 60 is probably good to over 800hp with the 35 splines and over 1000hp with the 40 splines....

again, just my opinion. im going to start measuring that 3.54 posi 12 bolt out of a 68 camaro we have behind the house and see how hard it would be to swap it in when i get back home--the gears and posi will work for my combo, so i just need c-clip eliminators and aftermarket steel axles and im sure it will hold up to more than 400+RWHP.... i think im also going to try designing my own suspension rather than buying the autofab kit or similar.

it might be awhile, but eventually im hoping i can get it all done AND into the car and driveable/working correctly for under $2000 total. i'll be sure to let you guys know if i succeed.
fatguyzinc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If i cant eat it, ride it, drive it, or f*ck it, then i dont care...
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #48
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

I hope you start a thread when you do this. I would love to follow along and learn some stuff...
Good Luck!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #49
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Hi guys,
Just a consumer advisory regarding Super 10 builds. This is a build I came up with and named. It is specific in what is used in it to be a real super 10. Specific parts and procedures, some of which are no longer available.

As with any quality consumable item there comes the knock off artist claiming to offer the same item for a drastically reduced price often with a super lead time. Typically the parts are not the same and procedures are cut. In the case of the super 10 this has been happening for awhile and the customers don't have clue at what they are getting. The pictures I have seen of the knockoff builds are clearly not the same build and do not have the same parts. Lower price means something has to give= labor, part quality, or procedures which all comes down to profit. So word to wise do your homework before you make a commitment or you may be the next victim.

Also as I have been advising for a long time, Tom is out of the 10-17x 30 formed spiders we have used for years. They are gone for good now, hopefully some of you have purchased them. They are the best spiders to use. You can get new 30 spline spiders but they are not the same. Some of them have ended up in these knock off builds. I still have stock of them for my super 10 builds.

If you want the real deal you have to go to the originator it is that simple. When I wanted a vette I bought a corvette not a chevette.
gtr1999 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 10-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #50
DMB 75
DC Crew

Member #62129

My Corvette(s)
C3

WOW!

This thread is from 2 yrs ago when I first looked into a "Super 10" rear for my project.
Got lucky and connected with Gary while stuff from Tom's was still available.
I had Gary build me a 4.10 and I documented the build over in CF as he was not hanging out there. Why should you guys have all the fun....right?
Anyway, life got in the way along with old age and several operations.
I am getting back to using Gary's Super 10 in one of my 2 builds this winter.
Re-reading this thread 2 yrs later and after much study, research and conversations with Gary....I am amazed with what has transpired in the last 2 yrs.
But Gary is still doing his expert work.
Some day I hope to meet him in person instead of just shipping him work to do for me.
Thanks again Gary from another very happy Super 10 owner.

Dennis (Bman)
DMB 75 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2018, 04:02 AM   #51
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Not to hijack this thread but what are you going to be building this winter Dennis?
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 10-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #52
DMB 75
DC Crew

Member #62129

My Corvette(s)
C3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
Not to hijack this thread but what are you going to be building this winter Dennis?
Don't think Gary will mind a little hijack as it is his work going into my projects.
I have 2 1975 cars that are going to be frame off resto-mods.
First one is a conversion to a chrome rear bumper style with a fiberglass front, flared fenders, L88 hood, FIA fixed headlights, 421 SBC @ 600+ hp, T56 trans, side exhaust, Gary's Super 10, offset TAs, QA1 and Van Steel suspension and coil overs C5 seats, 1978 style dash. Racer style paint job
After that I have a hwy cruiser also based on a 75 frame off. 406 SBC @ 500+ hp, T56 trans, 4.11 rear HD rebuild with Gary's help, offset TAs, coilovers, side exhaust, Stinger hood, 1974 fiberglass frotn bumper, 80-82 style rear bumper (?). C6 seats and 1978 dash.
LOT of work but have almost all the parts....
Old 10-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #53
77blue
DC Crew

Member #72402

My Corvette(s)
2010 GS Coupe / 77 Coupe

DMB 75, hopefully your a build thread guy - it's been kind of quiet over here for awhile.
77blue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Jon
1977 Coupe (LS376/480 & 4L70E swap in process)
2010 GS Coupe (White - Red/Black interior)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 Chev Silverado HD (Duramax)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #54
DMB 75
DC Crew

Member #62129

My Corvette(s)
C3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77blue View Post
DMB 75, hopefully your a build thread guy - it's been kind of quiet over here for awhile.
Will do.
I tore down my first one to the frame and posted that on CF last year.
Got sidetracked with a knee surgery and 3 heart surgeries this year but will be ready once we get the cooler weather here.
I'll post up here as my buddy Gary Ramadei posts here also.
Thanks for the suggestion
Dennis
Old 10-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #55
Patro46
DC Crew

Member #136162

My Corvette(s)
C3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr1999 View Post
Well to follow up on this build, it ended up in 70 carrier going into a C2 st/strip car. You can see it got the steel cap, 30 spline axles(fit to 005), but what you can't see is the case and new 390 gears were cryro treated for added strength. I don't know if there is a stronger vette 10-bolt out there as this as it all, next step is the full 12-bolt with 1350 axles and then the 12 bolt with 1480's

This is what I look like drooling down my chin. So does my Vette. Your attention to detail has certainly caught me eye. Bravo!
I've been upgrading the blown LS to an MS3 PRo PCM and adding e85 and traction control into the mix. I haven't broke the rear yet....but that's my greatest fear.

With the SharkBite and the 6 Link, I'm kinda married to the independent, so expect a call from me one of these days...
Patro46 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2018, 05:08 AM   #56
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Patro,

That picture is a real super 10 I built from Jan 2010. I have made more refinements to them since then. I now completely polish the posi inside and out. This one is done inside and out but not as complete as I do today. Will it have more of an effect, probably not since I covered the prone areas but I build the best and that is part of doing it. I do not let anyone else touch it either, I do it all.

If you plan on building a custom diff, whether I do it , you do it, or you try somone else I would buy the parts now while they are still around. The good spiders are gone now, I have stock on them still, they are better then any new spider on the market today. I bought them from Tom directly years ago. They are not for sale and will only be used in my complete builds. However, Jo Watt is still running the business and they have the new 5 cut gears still- I would get those now. The knock off artist's out there don't use the other parts that make it a real super 10-like a billet yoke, ARP RG bolts, or solid sleeve, usually they will use a stock cast yoke, "kit" RG bolts, and a stock crush sleeve- until they are "outed" and their customers ask about them. 1330 billet yokes were gone for awhile as well, that might be one reason but most likely it is profit motivated. Why tell your customer about a billet yoke or solid sleeve when you can still charge them the price of the build that would have them? If questioned they state they aren't needed and cost more, yeah right. The more they are asked the more they lie like a rug. You know the old saying fool me once..... I was fooled once but no more. Look online at the so called copy's of the Super 10 you will see the differences - that is if they are still online!

Good luck, I am not trying to sell you anything just letting you know the status today and there are con man everywhere. Reminds me of the rebuilt diff a guy brought in to me to check, never installed in the car. I pulled the cover and saw a 2 " crack in the posi case. I have the pictures to prove it. The rebuilder knew about it and shipped it out anyway. It is getting worse now because the majority of the guys who know what they are doing are now retiring or dying -sad to say. There are not a lot of us left from that group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polished (8).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	23540  
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
The Following User Says Thank You to gtr1999 For This Useful Post:
stingray composites (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #57
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Patro,

That picture is a real super 10 I built from Jan 2010. I have made more refinements to them since then. I now completely polish the posi inside and out. This one is done inside and out but not as complete as I do today. Will it have more of an effect, probably not since I covered the prone areas but I build the best and that is part of doing it. I do not let anyone else touch it either, I do it all.

If you plan on building a custom diff, whether I do it , you do it, or you try somone else I would buy the parts now while they are still around. The good spiders are gone now, I have stock on them still, they are better then any new spider on the market today. I bought them from Tom directly years ago. They are not for sale and will only be used in my complete builds. However, Jo Watt is still running the business and they have the new 5 cut gears still- I would get those now. The knock off artist's out there don't use the other parts that make it a real super 10-like a billet yoke, ARP RG bolts, or solid sleeve, usually they will use a stock cast yoke, "kit" RG bolts, and a stock crush sleeve- until they are "outed" and their customers ask about them. 1330 billet yokes were gone for awhile as well, that might be one reason but most likely it is profit motivated. Why tell your customer about a billet yoke or solid sleeve when you can still charge them the price of the build that would have them? If questioned they state they aren't needed and cost more, yeah right. The more they are asked the more they lie like a rug. You know the old saying fool me once..... I was fooled once but no more. Look online at the so called copy's of the Super 10 you will see the differences - that is if they are still online!

Good luck, I am not trying to sell you anything just letting you know the status today and there are con man everywhere. Reminds me of the rebuilt diff a guy brought in to me to check, never installed in the car. I pulled the cover and saw a 2 " crack in the posi case. I have the pictures to prove it. The rebuilder knew about it and shipped it out anyway. It is getting worse now because the majority of the guys who know what they are doing are now retiring or dying -sad to say. There are not a lot of us left from that group.
They are all imposters Gary.
The Real Deal is You and Me.

I signed every Rear Diff I ever Built.
Some initials are hidden.
Others in the open.
Some I Electro Etched my Full name in.

People find out what really holds up on Race Day.
Road Race.
Street Race.
Drag Race at tracks.

Best is videos of your parts being used you built and raced hard.

They cheepened the the entire field.
I still build diffs but moved on doing other stuff.

2 of my C3 D44s I built still not in the Vettes yet I know.
Last one I did was last year for a guy in Oklahoma.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #58
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Brain
You are the guy I recommend for 80-82 diff's because it's simple- no BS no parts not needed, just built right. I have seen your work and clearly you are not hiding anything.

Like you I put my name on every diff I ever built. If you can't you shouldn't be building anything but Lincoln Logs- if anyone even knows what they are anymore!
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
The Following User Says Thank You to gtr1999 For This Useful Post:
Maniacmechanic1 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #59
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Brain
You are the guy I recommend for 80-82 diff's because it's simple- no BS no parts not needed, just built right. I have seen your work and clearly you are not hiding anything.

Like you I put my name on every diff I ever built. If you can't you shouldn't be building anything but Lincoln Logs- if anyone even knows what they are anymore!
It's been hard at times to get FEEDBACK from Guys at tracks and streets Gary.
Hear nothing at times for Years.

Just need a modern cellphone to make your own Videos.
Quality of Vid is Ok.
You Tube It.
Make a collection of your vids.
Not much different than posting pics on Forums.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #60
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Not my Video Gary.
But it is my own C4 Corvette Dana 44 I bought for myself.
Built It & sold to Sammy down in Chile South America.

Beats the Snot out of it.
Never has failed.
He is using Mickey Thompson Drag Radials.
315's on Fiske 11.00" x 17" Wheels.

AFR 195 Heads on a 383 SBC.
Old Accel Super Ram Intake with a 1000 cfm throttle body.

Flywheel HP is a true 460 -480 my estimates.
Be More if he race ported the Heads & Intake.

back when I was on CFC4.

I know those Jokers there.

Do similar with Vids.
Shut them up all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in