Help! car just died - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Hootbhd
DC Crew

Member #39081

My Corvette(s)
Yellow/Black 2000 C5 Coupe

Help! car just died

So I turn it on and on start it sounds like a grinding screach. Heavy vibrations I can still drive it and it sounds less bad while moving but when you put the clutch in the vibrations start again. So I try and turn it off. The mother f/er doesnt turn off it just keeps vibrating and shaking. So now im turning it on hearing that dreadful screaching on start and off again and it wont turn off. After about 5 times on and off I got it to stop. I dont know what just happened I fear its very bad. It cant be the clutch beacuse I could still engage it and move the car. I checked inside the bay all looks good there. Has anyone ever had their c5 not turn off and shake.
Hootbhd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Bilstein shocks, Zip lowering bolts, Hotchkis sway bars, Blackwing air fliter, Corsa Indy Pace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

My Corvette(s)
Now 03Z, Then 00, 80, 79

Could it be the starter will not disengage?
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
......nevermind
Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Hootbhd
DC Crew

Member #39081

My Corvette(s)

It could be I heard the grinding screaching at the point of start up. It had been making that noise for two days. I took the key out and it was still shaking and shit but you could tell it wasnt really on fully. I think you hit something there if the starter wont stop that could explain me not being able to turn it off. Thx for the fast reply
Bilstein shocks, Zip lowering bolts, Hotchkis sway bars, Blackwing air fliter, Corsa Indy Pace

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

My Corvette(s)
Now 03Z, Then 00, 80, 79

Lets hope that is all it is..........replacing a starter is pain enough! Keep us updated
......nevermind
Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Hootbhd
DC Crew

Member #39081

My Corvette(s)

It is the starter at this point I can only hope that it didnt break off the engine. I have 0 dollars to my name and now this lol

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...e-block-74165/
Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

My Corvette(s)
Now 03Z, Then 00, 80, 79

Good Luck
......nevermind
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
caseyk
DC Crew

Member #81354

My Corvette(s)
2000 Arctic White Coupe

Sorry to hear about your trouble,I have a 2000 coupe as well....................I'm a little nervous right now,I hope this doesn't happen to mine.If it does,it will probably end my Corvette days,I barely have enough money to keep mine going much less something for major like this.I'm doing good just to take care of tires and other wear and tear items. I wish you the best of luck,let us know how everything turns out.
caseyk is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Something that baffles me when I read stories like this. Why in hell would you drive the car with it sounding and running like that? Didn't you think that driving it would make it worse? Surely you didn't think it would fix itself!
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 10-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Hootbhd
DC Crew

Member #39081

My Corvette(s)

I just backed it up to see if the tranny and stuff worked. The real painful part for the engine is when you try to turn it off and it keeps tryin to start.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
RagtopDan

Member #74687

My Corvette(s)
Sadly Sold

I had a 1990 Thunderbird SC and had the same problem with the starter not disengaging. I ended up having to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Turned out (thankfully) that it was the starter relay melting down and simply replacing the starter (it was part of the starter) took care of it. The cars days were numbered after that adventure because that was just the last straw in a long line of issues...

I will cry if my Vette starts to have issues like that...
RagtopDan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
Hootbhd
DC Crew

Member #39081

My Corvette(s)

So the starter didnt break off the block it just wouldnt disengage. I unpluged the battery then turned it on two times and it came back. But after a long nights rests you can hear it grind and it will do it again. So im gonna have to replace the starter soon. But for everyone cut the power if it happens to you and it will help free it up.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbhd View Post
So the starter didnt break off the block it just wouldnt disengage. I unpluged the battery then turned it on two times and it came back. But after a long nights rests you can hear it grind and it will do it again. So im gonna have to replace the starter soon. But for everyone cut the power if it happens to you and it will help free it up.
If you are thinking right, you've already replaced that starter or you are not driving that car. The strange sound you hear is the starter against the flywheel. Do you know how much it cost and how much work it is to replace the flywheel? All of a sudden, a somewhat simple and inexpensive repair turns into a God awful one. The engine will have to come out of the car. That is not a fun repair.

That's why these cars do not make good daily drivers if it is the only car you have.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
wdtiger
DC Crew

Member #79877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That's why these cars do not make good daily drivers if it is the only car you have.
I don't get it... why does this problem make these cars not good DDs?
wdtiger is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2000 Torch Red FRC - bone stock!
1988 Mazda RX7 - SCCA IT prepared racecar!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtiger View Post
I don't get it... why does this problem make these cars not good DDs?
You have to ask the question completely. I said that these cars don't make good daily drivers as your only car.

When something breaks and you don't have the capability or the facilities to do the repair yourself then all of a sudden, you're at the mercy of some dealership's bottle of KY-Jelly. Let's face it, C5's are cheap to buy but not cheap to own (that's if you stay on top of your repairs and periodic maintenance). I just changed my oil yesterday. It cost me $72 for 8 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I could have skimped out and bought some cheap stuff but that's not the way I roll. I've seen cars that are owned by guys who skimp and their motors usually look like crap and are evident of their shade tree ways. Don't even get me started on their paint and interior.

If you are a struggling college student or working a dead end job flipping burgers, this is not the car you want to have as a daily driver. I'm not saying that the OP fits this category in any way, I'm just saying.

So you don't agree?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
Phantom01

Member #88149

My Corvette(s)
91 Corvette/68 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You have to ask the question completely. I said that these cars don't make good daily drivers as your only car.

When something breaks and you don't have the capability or the facilities to do the repair yourself then all of a sudden, you're at the mercy of some dealership's bottle of KY-Jelly. Let's face it, C5's are cheap to buy but not cheap to own (that's if you stay on top of your repairs and periodic maintenance). I just changed my oil yesterday. It cost me $72 for 8 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I could have skimped out and bought some cheap stuff but that's not the way I roll. I've seen cars that are owned by guys who skimp and their motors usually look like crap and are evident of their shade tree ways. Don't even get me started on their paint and interior.

If you are a struggling college student or working a dead end job flipping burgers, this is not the car you want to have as a daily driver. I'm not saying that the OP fits this category in any way, I'm just saying.

So you don't agree?
I don't understand why you would own a car you can't afford to maintain in the first place. I understand that sometimes things can go bad and cost a lot, but that's why I always had a credit card with a 5k limit for car repairs only. My 06 was my DD and only car I owned for a year. I figured if something bad happen then I would just rent a car for the few days I need to get the item repaired.
Phantom01 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2013 Porsche Panamera GTS

1991 Black Manual Coupe - Magnaflow Cat-Back

1968 327 Corvette 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in