replacing power antenna - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
TNprogrammer
DC Crew

Member #75580

My Corvette(s)
1978 Pace Car

replacing power antenna

I've decided to bite the bullet and replace the power antenna on my '78. How the heck do you get this sucker out? I'll at least test it once it's out to make sure it's the motor and not something simple like a wire.

Last edited by TNprogrammer; 12-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.
TNprogrammer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Metalkid
DC Crew

Member #92641

My Corvette(s)
1978 Silver Anniversary Model #678

It's mounted to an L bracket inside the left rear fenderwell. Two bolts attach the bracket to the body. Pretty simple actually, but you access the area from under the car. The antenna Signal wire is an RF push on type (similar to an RCA plug), and there will also be a grounding braid IIRC.
Metalkid is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
TNprogrammer
DC Crew

Member #75580

My Corvette(s)
1978 Pace Car

Thanks. Looks like the antenna and getting my power windows working again will be my projects over the next four days.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
81 STINGRAY
DC Crew

Member #133514

My Corvette(s)
1981 coupe

I feel your pain TN. Crawling under the C3 sucks. (And so does crawling out of bed the next day with sores muscles!) I have an 80 C3 and I'm dreading swapping mine out. My Haynes repair manual does not include instructions on removing/reinstalling the power antenna unit The most common cause of failure on power antennea is the flexible plastic piece (called the ribbon) that extends and retracts the metal telescoping antenna. It either breaks or the gear teeth get stripped off. Once you finally get it out of the car (WHEW!) You can tinker with it. Some auto parts stores carry generic replacement for the plastic ribbon.($10)They are all very similiar so you might get lucky and "save a buck"by finding one that fits -that is if your motor is good.(Ecklers has a kit to replace the factory ribbon @ $40 bucks)At least you will have the old unit in hand to match up a replacement aftermarket power antenna unit. I'd definitely install a good brand afermarket rather than pay big bucks($90 from Ecklers) for a corvette specific model. A decent universal fit power antenna will only set you back $35 and only a NCRS guy would notice. It would be great if you could post some photos and desrcibe the process for the rest of us who are facing this PITA task. Thanks and best of luck to you.
81 STINGRAY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
81 STINGRAY
DC Crew

Member #133514

My Corvette(s)
1981 coupe

My power windows and power door locks are messed up too. So it would be great if you could post on the process of fixing those too. Wow my back is aching just thinking about it! Good luck TN! Whats wrong with your power windows? Me: driver side window regulator gear stripped. (I plan to bolt on the gear repair kit) passenger side weak motor- swap for new. I suspect installing new actuators will fix the power door locks(138K on car).

Last edited by 81 STINGRAY; 12-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
TNprogrammer
DC Crew

Member #75580

My Corvette(s)
1978 Pace Car

I don't mind TOO much crawling under the vette. I don't use my spare tire carrier so there is more room under there than usual. I'll definitely take good pics of everything. My only problem with aftermarket antennas is that I would really like the molded outer bottom piece. Right now there is a flat ring at the bottom of the antenna, and it looks like crap because it doesn't sit flush against the body.
I spent two whole days under the back end 4 weeks ago putting on all of my new rear suspension parts (including re-hanging the diff). I was DEFINITELY sore after that

I actually fixed my power windows last year. The driver's side had quit working. Turns out the guy that put on my new door panels put a screw right through the wire running to the window motor.

After I replaced all of the fuses and did some console work both windows stopped working. One of the forum members suggested I might have knocked loose the coupling where the wire splits to run to each window right under the console. Also, I'm wondering if I accidentally installed the wrong amp fuse for the windows and it blew out. Whatever the issue I don't think it will involve removing either of the door panels.

Last edited by TNprogrammer; 12-05-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
81 STINGRAY
DC Crew

Member #133514

My Corvette(s)
1981 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNprogrammer View Post
I don't mind TOO much crawling under the vette. I don't use my spare tire carrier so there is more room under there than usual. I'll definitely take good pics of everything. My only problem with aftermarket antennas is that I would really like the molded outer bottom piece. Right now there is a flat ring at the bottom of the antenna, and it looks like crap because it doesn't sit flush against the body.
I spent two whole days under the back end 4 weeks ago putting on all of my new rear suspension parts (including re-hanging the diff). I was DEFINITELY sore after that

I actually fixed my power windows last year. The driver's side had quit working. Turns out the guy that put on my new door panels put a screw right through the wire running to the window motor.

After I replaced all of the fuses and did some console work both windows stopped working. One of the forum members suggested I might have knocked loose the coupling where the wire splits to run to each window right under the console. Also, I'm wondering if I accidentally installed the wrong amp fuse for the windows and it blew out. Whatever the issue I don't think it will involve removing either of the door panels.
Ecklers sells a "hide away antenna" for $22. I suppose you would just plug it into the radio and mount the end piece somewhere in the interior. It says it has better signal strength than mast antennas. That would be geat for me I could just disconnect my factory antenna and leave it in the retracted position -problem solved. Retrosound is the manufacture. do you know anyone who has tried one?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
NeoC3
DC Crew

Member #177337

Outside or inside?

TN, did you ever get your power antenna replaced? If yes, was the change from outside and under, or were you able to access it from the interior?
NeoC3 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
lakeside49
DC Crew

Member #138346

The overwhelming majority of the time a C3 power antennae failure is due to a broken internal nylon gear strap. You can buy a repair kit (the replacement strap) from most C3 parts supplier partners, and do it yourself. It took me a couple of hours one evening and was a satisfying repair if you are basic to moderately proficient at working under the car. It is both preferable to retain the original antenna which is superior to any aftermarket product available, and maintains the originality of your Corvette. The hardest part - and, it is still quite easy - is reaching up to remove the antenna (3)? retaining bolts, and drilling out the rivits on the actual antenna with a regular drill to replace them with bolts/nuts from Home Depot (recommend stepping up to stainless).

Good luck!

Dave
lakeside49 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in