Mid-Engined Corvette Spy Photos - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Wing
DC Crew

Member #13068

I always felt i had a mid - engine considering there is 4 ft of space from the nose to the front of the block.
Imho....that car looks like shit.

No hood.....is that a toneau cover on the back area?
The front end reminds me of my malibu.

Doesn't look like a vette... call it something else.
Wing is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"I have a handful of skittles ...."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

very interesting
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF(ret)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (sold); 2002 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Is it common for GM to use Holden for it development vehicles? Seems like they would do that kind of development nearer Detroit.
I wouldn't say it is common, but it does happen. GM has used a lot of its Opel resources to use as mules or transfer to the US. It is more difficult to use Holdens because they are right hand drive, but they have done it before.

The new Impala, SS and the past GTO and G8 were all Holden developed. GM is pretty much the last man standing for car manufacturing in Australia. Toyota and Ford pulled out late last year. It makes sense to transfer the costs of development between a couple of markets and provide vehicles that look fresh here, but are common other places.

Considering that the cabin module is directly from a C7, a C8 or other sport car makes sense. Also since Holden has the only "El Camino" in the market, they could test a rear/mid engined car and conceal the engine in the "bed area" and cover it with a toneau cover. It certainly would make sense.

Holden is known for its balls to the walls V8 sports cars. They make the right platforms for this application. I think in this case we are looking at the next Corvette or ultra high end sports car.
ddregehr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ddregehr For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-09-2015)

Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
I read online that Holden has announced it will cease making cars in Australia by 2017. Sounds like they are about the last man standing right now.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (sold); 2002 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
I read online that Holden has announced it will cease making cars in Australia by 2017. Sounds like they are about the last man standing right now.
But they make some awesome cars!!!!! They are like a Pontiac division - performance driven and they back it up with some great engines. The Corvette engine is in a lot of their sports cars!
ddregehr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #21
chopper2585
DC Crew

Member #121522

My Corvette(s)
1965 Malibu SS, 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddregehr View Post
But they make some awesome cars!!!!! They are like a Pontiac division - performance driven and they back it up with some great engines. The Corvette engine is in a lot of their sports cars!

I used to own a 2004 GTO. Lots of people hated that car, it was kind of a dog because of the weight, but man I loved it. Quick enough, super comfortable, a nice car all around.

My only problem with the car was strut rub, which GM acknowledged as a defect but refused to fix, and the drip edge on the windshield was never moved for the US market, so when the wipers went on, all the water would come in the driver's window if you had it cracked Otherwise awesome car.

chopper2585 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #22
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

The GM Cammo guys are very good at what they do and a Mid-engine C8 Covette gets ALL of their tallent. Why bother building an obviously function only, completely bogus body with that horrible spoiler then put a grill and "emblem" on it that tells the photogs the bloodline of the mule?

I think C&D got this on right. we are looking at the C8 Mule. However, the concept drawings ... waaaaay to early for those to be even a possibility, IMO.

BTW, the pic below clearly shows the Vette targa top.

C8 mule:
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #23
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Yes Holden is shuttering at the end of 2017 due to the small percentage of Aussie produced cars the Aussies actually buy and the escalating strength of the Aussie $ vs. the US $. The Holden engineering group has already been gutted and I really doubt they are developing a new mid-engine while they are eliminating engineer overhead. The next Chevy SS will be built on the ATS/CTS/Camaro platform. Its a great platform, so adopting Iacoca's K platform idea is justified by the quality and capability of the resulting cars. I would bet they start building at least one crossover on that same platform.

Ford will shutter their Aussie manufacturing in October 2016.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #24
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger430 View Post
I disagree SPD98. the roof is all corvette, as are the mirrors. The interior looks like the current car's cockpit as well. At least from what I can see. This could definitely be the real thing.
Those are just parts bin parts just like the Holden front and tail lights. Even though the proportions of this are odd, I'm not even 100% sure it's rear mid engined. Where are the air intakes? the rear is also kind of low and the rear overhang is odd for a mid car.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #25
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Those are just parts bin parts just like the Holden front and tail lights. Even though the proportions of this are odd, I'm not even 100% sure it's rear mid engined. Where are the air intakes? the rear is also kind of low and the rear overhang is odd for a mid car.
They're just ahead of the rear wheel well , pretty low down. Some have said that there are also intakes in the wing supports.
We'll know soon enough if this was the real deal or not. I hope it is.
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #26
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

That's a rear mid engine mule. Look how long the distance is from the rear door edge to the rear wheel well. Look how close the front of the door edge is to the back of the front wheel well. Rear mid without a doubt.

The new Cadillac boss has stated that they do want to have a halo sports car, but that is a low priority to them and they do not expect to add one until some time after 2020. Cad's focus is where it should be ...on producing world class sedans and coupes. This is NOT a Cadillac (no cad version yet anyway). This IS a C8 mule ... unless you think Buick or GMC is getting a rear mid engine sports car.

BTW, Here is Buick's announced as a halo, Avenir ("future" in French). Welburn calls it a 4 door coupe. Mmmm. How original. Regardless, IMO it looks good.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #27
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

The rear-end is an improvement...
BJC99Hardtop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
No matter what side of an argument you're on, you always find some people on your side that wish you were on the other side.

-Jascha Heifetz
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BJC99Hardtop For This Useful Post:
dobrenyr (01-13-2015), Longtimer (01-12-2015), MR BRNS C6 (01-12-2015), stinger430 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #28
MR BRNS C6

Member #73972

My Corvette(s)
2006 Silver Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post
The rear-end is an improvement...

MR BRNS C6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Smithers, unleash the hounds!
Edelbrock E-Force 1593 & Magnaflow exhaust for that healthy American sound. Before SC 354 RWHP, after SC 484 RWHP. That's all I can do and still pass California smog.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #29
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

Ford GT revealed at the Detroit Auto show... all I can say ... WOW ! it even has a round tail light proving that there is nothing wrong with round. This puts pressure on GM to respond so it wih a beautiful C8.
There was mention of the C8 in the "ASK BOB" as in Bob Lutz in the R&T this month..... at the very end there isa remark by Welburn commenting on some of the artist conceptions and he says that they definitely did not come from GM Styling ! Now some of those concepts pics were stunning so I don't know why he would make such comments... perhaps they we're ugly enough for his tastes. One those pic used the current rear light arrangment and it actually looked good!
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
The Following User Says Thank You to dobrenyr For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-16-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #30
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

I read that too, and a couple of other comments that Maximum Bob has made about the Rear mid C8.

The C8 is real. However, as long as Welburn and Peters are influencing Corvette, I don't have much hope that the C8 will look as good as the new Ford GT [gag reflex - can't believe I just complemented a Ford]. They will reinforce/justify the C7 design by including bits of it in the C8. JMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in