You just gotta laugh... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

You just gotta laugh...

So I'm sure this is blasphemy, but I was thinking of getting another Vette, and found one locally just 3 miles away.

Called the seller up, said I'd like to come down and check it out later today after my last client left. Told him I really had to have my mechanic look at it before I forked over any cash, go for a test drive, etc.

The guy said "No problem. Call me back after your client meeting is over."

When I call back, he informs me of his "conditions" and that he doesn't want to waste my time if they're not acceptable. I said..."Ok, what are they?"

1) The car is 100%, I can guarantee you that, even with all of the aftermarket mods/parts/changes I've done.
2) You can't drive it. I can take you for a drive in it as the passenger, but you can't drive it cuz it's not insured.
3) Your mechanic can come down here and check it out, but you can't take it to his shop (even with the seller along) to inspect it.
4) And none of this is going to happen unless you're a serious buyer.

I chuckled. He asked me what was so funny. So I said ...

"Ok, let me see if I've got this straight...first off you won't let me drive the car, you won't let my mechanic put it up on the rack to see the exhaust/etc mods you've done, you haven't got insurance (cars aren't insured, drivers are) but you're the only one you'll let drive it even though I have insurance?"

"That's correct. This isn't a car lot. I've had lots of people bring their mechanics over to check it out, but none of them have been serious."

I laughed really hard then. He asked me what was so funny.

"So, you've had lots of people bring their mechanics to check this car out and it hasn't sold yet? Why do you think that is?"

"I really don't know, but I don't have time to talk to you unless you accept my conditions before buying the car."

I laughed really hard again and said "Maybe your conditions aren't reasonable, had you thought of that?"

"Like I said, it's a used car in pristine condition, no issues. If you want it, bring your cash and you can leave with it."

I just said "Good luck with that, pal." and hung up.

I don't know...sometimes you just have to laugh at how some people try to do business I guess.

ScumOne is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

I guarantee that car doesn't have issues....it has full on subscriptions.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
GhostShadow
DC Crew

Member #117913

My Corvette(s)
It fell off a cliff...

Good thing you walked away, whenever a seller puts conditions where you cannot inspect the car, every nut and bolt, he was was just setting you up for bad days ahead.

FYI... I think you are mistaken when it comes to insurance though. insurance is tied to the car not the person. If you drove the car and caused damage to it, your insurance would not give the seller a dime.

Another way to look at it, is that when you get a new insurance policy, they ask who in the household has access to the car. They dont ask if everyone in the household has their own set of insurance.
GhostShadow is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I guarantee that car doesn't have issues....it has full on subscriptions.
That car is probably like some of my ex g/f's...more issues than LIFE magazine.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShadow View Post

Good thing you walked away, whenever a seller puts conditions where you cannot inspect the car, every nut and bolt, he was was just setting you up for bad days ahead.

FYI... I think you are mistaken when it comes to insurance though. insurance is tied to the car not the person. If you drove the car and caused damage to it, your insurance would not give the seller a dime.

Another way to look at it, is that when you get a new insurance policy, they ask who in the household has access to the car. They dont ask if everyone in the household has their own set of insurance.
My wife is an insurance agent (actually a VP at an insurance company) and we're both right...it's tied to the person who has access to the car, but it's also rated based on what car they're driving.

In our case, we have five cars, and one is already a Corvette (and with our huge limits) so I would have been ok to drive the car and have an accident.

As for the seller, my mechanic got back to me about an hour ago and he told me "Don't walk, just RUN away from someone who sets conditions like that."

So we're all on the same page, for sure!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

I knew there was a reason I will never sell my C5... I would probably require a blood test and a sperm sample as well!

I don't want to even think about how many yahoos would show up at my door wanting to "test drive" my C5 if I put it up for sale publicly. Fortunately, I have ALWAYS sold my used cars to a friend or acquaintance because they already know how anal I am about my cars. I have also ALWAYS sold them for no less than $2,000 above book value as well.

With a Corvette, if I had to sell to an unknown buyer, I would probably just go the trade-in route - I could not take the stress. I already have quite a list of people who would jump on buying my C5 without a test drive because they know I would never sell anything without it being 100% disclosure (since I would see them again).

Another problem for me is I have so much time and money in my C5 that their insurance would never cover the extended limits I carry on my car ($10,000 over book) and I would get even more coverage if I could. One pot hole can easily total a C5! Even just paint damage (like getting the car keyed) can total a C5!

The last car I sold was a 1996 Ford Taurus SHO V8 to a friend for her son who was going into the Marines. They came over, paid me cash, he piled in the car with 3 of his friends and made it two blocks before he totaled it on a curb! Don't think he was quite ready for that much power, but I am sure he would have loved to "test" total it first!
Choreo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

I would not allow someone to drive my car either. I would drive the car to someone's shop for an inspection, if I thought the buyer was serious.
If the car has issues, I know I could determine if they were serious from the right seat.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
17 Z51 13 427 04 6M vert 17 WRX

When I sell my Viper I will trade it in also. I don't want to deal with people but that guy was nuts! What kind/year of Corvette are you looking at getting?

BLK 1
BLK 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

I already told the seller that I would be driving down my C5 to see his C6. I keep my policy declaration page handy if necessary. I had that ready to bring down, too.

Pretty sure $300k/100k limits cover the $23k he was asking for the C6, so I doubt that was the issue.

I'm sure since he's had other buyers look it over with their mechanics (or so he said) that there's something wrong with it if he's selling it for less than blue book, but it's still for sale.

And since he didn't have insurance on it at the time, that tells me something else is amiss more than likely. He said he'd had it garaged for months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in