Gasoline ? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
jrbart
DC Crew

Member #3786

My Corvette(s)
2003 electron blue coupe 2003 millennium yellow coupe

Gasoline ?

https://youtu.be/hpVHLTRrxCw i just watched this video. i assumed everyone uses premium gas in their Vette. i also just looked at my owners manual and it states for best performance to use 91 octane. It also says you can use 87 octane but no lower if your engine knocks. just curious if anybody uses regular or midgrade gas regularly.
jrbart is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
87 red convertible SOLD 04 black coupe SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

Are you sure it doesn't say to use 91 octane or higher? Obviously, the main thing to avoid is pre-detonation, which higher octane will prevent.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

I have used 87 octane in my 1987 Corvette.
I does fine as long as your cruising and not much WOT action.
Such as extended highway driving for 1-2 hours non stop.
It defiantly likes 91-93 octane better.

If outside temps are 50 F & Lower I have found often 87 octane can be used with almost no detonation.

If its 85-100F or more I would use only 91-93 octane.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

The spark timing tables in all C4 & Up Corvettes are really aggressive. Max performance was the goal.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
jrbart
DC Crew

Member #3786

My Corvette(s)

yeah for "best performance" use premium fuel but its ok to use lesser grades according to the manual.https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...1&d=1518971494
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_064210[3544].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	22033  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
Andrus Chesley
DC Crew

Member #169362

My Corvette(s)
'03 Coupe

Been using regular gas in my 03 Coupe about 75% of the fill ups. No problems but a cruise about pretty near daily ride here. Average about a tank of gas every two weeks with a fill up of about 13 to 15 gallons.
Andrus Chesley is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Andrus Chesley
Jennings, La.
03 Silver Coupe
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

I sure miss the days when mid grade was 10 more than regular and premium was 20 more. Around here it's 30 for each grade difference.
1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If smoking marijuana causes short term memory loss

What does smoking marijuana do?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

I use mid-grade only because it's ethanol-free and the vette sits for periods of time. I've never noticed any problems.
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF(ret)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

I don't know about the C4's but starting with the C5's the programming is such that if the knock sensor observes "ping" then it assumes that it is because of a lower grade octane like 87 and then it changes the spark timing tables and performance levels. After a certain number (not sure how many) of start cycles without ping it reverts back to the original table again assuming that it is being fed 91 octane or higher
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 03-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Just read my owners manual and the LT1 calls for 91 and the LT4 can use 87 or 89 with the statement of possible decreased performance. The ethanol-free gas I use is rated at 90 octane and I've never noticed a knock.
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF(ret)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

Quote:
I don't know about the C4's but starting with the C5's the programming is such that if the knock sensor observes "ping" then it assumes that it is because of a lower grade octane like 87 and then it changes the spark timing tables and performance levels. After a certain number (not sure how many) of start cycles without ping it reverts back to the original table again assuming that it is being fed 91 octane or higher
It's about the same on the LT1/LT4 ECM's also except that it retards timing constantly when knock is present. I don't think it ever reverts to another table for an extended period of time.

Quote:
Just read my owners manual and the LT1 calls for 91 and the LT4 can use 87 or 89 with the statement of possible decreased performance. The ethanol-free gas I use is rated at 90 octane and I've never noticed a knock.
You've just ruined my whole nights sleep. The LT1 had 10.4 compression ratio and the LT4 has 10.8 but you can use a lower octane with the higher compression. I know the knock modules were different between the LT1's and the LT4's. That was because of the extra noise made by the LT4 roller rockers. Maybe the cam opened a bit later ABDC and lowered the dynamic compression ratio. Just not sure but the compression thing is making me take a sleeping pill.

My C4 is stockish but the twol Impala SS's are both LT4 cars. One is a 383 with 11.8 compression and the six speed Impala is a LT4 with the 845 cam, SLP headers and a nifty ram air setup. It has the 10.8 compression and has only ever seen premium.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #12
bodysurfin child
DC Crew

Member #129505

My Corvette(s)
03 all black convertible

To be clear , there is a world of difference between recommending 91 or higher fuel and saying one can use regular to get by if one can't find the recommended fuel. The owners manual is clear about the recommended fuel for my ls1. 91 or higher. I am in the c5 section, correct?

I am certain my knock sensors can't tell the future, they only work after the knock. I plan on going the distance, and the condition of my car is important to me. Plus, in my area, traffic is such that reliability can be a real safety concern.

I think some guys here need to buy an economy car if they only care about getting by with lower grade fuel. However, it is a free country , and they are the guys who will pay after finding that inferior fuel will have the same results as any other attempt to ignore the design limits . Some guys also run dyno oil, using the same logic, nothing has broken so far.

every machine has operating instructions, for good reason. As a matter of fact, I have spent time with highly trained chief marine engineers on super tankers who run the systems they control only by the book, because of possible legal exposure if a system fails and they decided to "wing it" instead of following the book. These are guys that could rewrite the book if needed, and have all the system manuals all along the walls, so they can look stuff up quickly.

If you want to cheap out on fuel, fine with me. Some guys even ignore the quality of food they eat, and then cry about their health when they get my age. Because the system can compensate for some abuse, but is not designed to run on cheeseburgers and fries for any extended length of time.

At least with a car, you can sell before the abuse surfaces , something every corvette owner seeks to avoid when buying used. Some of the answers here illustrate to me why skilled corvette buyers are so careful. An abused corvette can be an expensive hole to fall into . Myself, I knew nothing about corvettes so my buying decision rested on how I felt about the owner and what I could gather about his stewardship of the car.
bodysurfin child is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bodysurfin child For This Useful Post:
jimlloyd (06-19-2018), MR BRNS C6 (06-01-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like this guy.........even if he is a Californian. I agree with the above post and I eat too many cheeseburgers and fries. Wow, I've never heard logic like that from the left coast. Welcome to DC. Are you sure you're not a Kentuckian?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

I always use super unleaded in the fun cars..The daily is another story. In the big picture, given the limited driving season we have it's not a huge cost. I'll save money somewhere else..
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 PM   #15
jrbart
DC Crew

Member #3786

My Corvette(s)

i was just curios about the fuel everyone used, in my first post i just assumed everyone used premium. in post # 5 the manual says for best performance use 91 or higher. it states you may use lower octane but may have reduced performance. if you use lower than 87 and it knocks use 87 or higher as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in