Right speaker finally blew out ! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
JeZeusWTB
DC Crew

Member #163593

My Corvette(s)
C5

Right speaker finally blew out !

To much bass, The Bose just blew out ! Time for a minor upgrade!

Do I have to change any wiring ? I am going to install a cd deck, speakers etc. probably this week and wonder whatís everybodyís set up look like ?
JeZeusWTB is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

I never changed mine but I do know the Bose setup sucks ass. I rarely have mine on unless I'm going to be on an interstate for more than 20-30 miles. Other than that I just listen to the exhaust
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
speedstar22
DC Crew

Member #178042

My Corvette(s)
C5

My C5 Corvette 1997-2004 Door Speaker Bose speaker is working good. How did this happen? Can't you control it by your system?
speedstar22 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
JeZeusWTB
DC Crew

Member #163593

My Corvette(s)
C5

Mind blew out probably because I attached a Bluetooth device so I can play iTunes from my phone. The volume from the iPhone , if turned up , over exceeds the power compacity of the speaker , causing it to rip from the insides ! (Too much bass)

I just hope that Bose doesnít come with an factory amp thatís installed under the seat ? if so Iíll be ripping that out and re wire everything
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
JeZeusWTB
DC Crew

Member #163593

My Corvette(s)
C5

And also given that I have an 98 , 20 years of that speaker material will deteriorate over time causing the ďspeaker paperĒ to rip

There are methods to repair it but, that involves cutting into the speaker and taping what ever thatís ripped . So Iíll just buy better ones .

Does anyone know of the size speaker bose comes with ? I.e. 6x9 or 5x12 etc
Old 03-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

My 2010 C6 driver's side speaker had to be replaced within the first year. Not everything that comes out of GM is top-notch.
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
speedstar22
DC Crew

Member #178042

My Corvette(s)
C5

Everything fine on my Bose system. Crisp and clear sound. Love it. Actually I love bass that's why I never felt it excessive.
speedstar22 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
bodysurfin child
DC Crew

Member #129505

My Corvette(s)
03 all black convertible

waa? would you repeat that,

From what I have gathered, you are looking at a couple of odd situations. The head unit is not standard din size, it is 1 1/2 din and sits in a space with a somewhat short front to back space as compared to other radios. One can buy a filler kit that looks like a kit, or rework the opening into a 2 din size and install a video screen deal. The reworked trim pieces are available from venders if you want.

Anything that is not factory will need to be redone, Gm uses powered speakers in the doors, and any other speakers will need an adaptor harness to run from the GM head unit. Some Gm stuff uses a different grounding then most, and the corvette is one. So all the stock stuff will need some kind of adaptor.

It is pretty easy to remove the door panels to take a look or just cruse the net for some pictures. Be careful with the plastic clips that hold the door panel, I broke a few.

I once cut the dash on a fine old car, and regretted it later, although the job went perfectly. I probably will in time, open up the hole and put in a radio with front and rear cameras, after all it is just a chevy. Yet, I would hate to have the same regrets so I am still thinking. Certainly I will wait until the radio fails completely and keep the speakers if I can. I care more about the home stereo, and resist spending money on the second string stuff in the car.

I have also read about guys having trouble finding the correct power leads , so you might want to locate and plan the wiring before you jump in . some power take offs work better than others.
bodysurfin child is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #9
JeZeusWTB
DC Crew

Member #163593

My Corvette(s)
C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodysurfin child View Post
From what I have gathered, you are looking at a couple of odd situations. The head unit is not standard din size, it is 1 1/2 din and sits in a space with a somewhat short front to back space as compared to other radios. One can buy a filler kit that looks like a kit, or rework the opening into a 2 din size and install a video screen deal. The reworked trim pieces are available from venders if you want.

Anything that is not factory will need to be redone, Gm uses powered speakers in the doors, and any other speakers will need an adaptor harness to run from the GM head unit. Some Gm stuff uses a different grounding then most, and the corvette is one. So all the stock stuff will need some kind of adaptor.

It is pretty easy to remove the door panels to take a look or just cruse the net for some pictures. Be careful with the plastic clips that hold the door panel, I broke a few.

I once cut the dash on a fine old car, and regretted it later, although the job went perfectly. I probably will in time, open up the hole and put in a radio with front and rear cameras, after all it is just a chevy. Yet, I would hate to have the same regrets so I am still thinking. Certainly I will wait until the radio fails completely and keep the speakers if I can. I care more about the home stereo, and resist spending money on the second string stuff in the car.

I have also read about guys having trouble finding the correct power leads , so you might want to locate and plan the wiring before you jump in . some power take offs work better than others.

Why does GM make things so difficult!!!

Makes me want to trade for a stingray
Old 04-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
bodysurfin child
DC Crew

Member #129505

My Corvette(s)
03 all black convertible

why so difficult?

I was told these cars are difficult to work on is because they are designed to be assembled quickly, easily, and cheap. Figuring out how to repair the thing is not part of the design process.

While I don't believe everything I hear, I can't say what the guy suggested isn't true, from my low corvette repair skills perspective.

I broke a lot of plastic clips until I slowed down and took the time to figure out how every little clip might un fasten, they all seem to click together as an individual fastener, I couldn't find a universal way to release the clips. I wanted to warn you about that stuff, hopefully others have a better grasp of modern assembly methods than myself.

THe two din radio upgrade is pretty common I have seen it at a lot of car shows. A video screen set into the dash upgrades the look, more like the C6 radio dash.

I am planning on a radio with a front and rear camera, and am curious about how your work is going, and the installation results.
bodysurfin child is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in