77 LS Turbo with lots of digital - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance



Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
77 LS Turbo with lots of digital

I wasn't going to post a thread on this forum but there's a lot of "digital" going on in my Vette project build, so here we are. I'm hoping to get this on the road soon, but I'll start the thread from the beginning

I've built a number of fast turbo cars before, but with only half the cylinders. The goal for my first 8 cyl muscle car is real street cruiser as well as a strip car that can race somewhere in the 10s, both equally well. The GF an I both like to old vettes so I bought this project, mostly in parts. Lots of brand new parts in boxes made it very appealing.



It's going to look mostly stock, not with some huge hood bulge and exhaust sticking out of the hood. As most of you who have worked with C3s before know, it's tight for turbo and stock appearance.

I like to do things a little different from most, so I'm not just dropping in some bolt ons. It's also a platform for me to test out some of my crazy ideas.
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-30-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS
 
The Torch's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,276
Member #799
Member since: Apr 2003
Location: Western Kentucky

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Thanks: 281
Thanked 698 Times in 487 Posts
Welcome to DC. Glad you are joining us. Looking forward to a lot of pics and updates. What are some of your 'crazy' ideas?
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 10-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
Welcome to DC. Glad you are joining us. Looking forward to a lot of pics and updates. What are some of your 'crazy' ideas?
Well, in my past projects things like:

twin turboing a dodge shadow
retrofiting a cruise control solonoid to maintain RPM at launch before there was two step
using a fire extinguisher as an intake manifold in a 9 second 4 cyl.
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
Well, in my past projects things like:

twin turboing a dodge shadow
retrofiting a cruise control solonoid to maintain RPM at launch before there was two step
using a fire extinguisher as an intake manifold in a 9 second 4 cyl.
One other guy here on DC Built a C3 Twin Turbo.
He got it running and never raced it as he hoped to.
Might get some ideas from his old thread with a search.
Maybe 2-3 years back now.

It can be done on a budget and Fab all your own.
Or most parts bought Pre Fabbed and modify yourself.

Good Luck on your Turbo C3 Project.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
One other guy here on DC Built a C3 Twin Turbo.
He got it running and never raced it as he hoped to.
Might get some ideas from his old thread with a search.
Maybe 2-3 years back now.

It can be done on a budget and Fab all your own.
Or most parts bought Pre Fabbed and modify yourself.

Good Luck on your Turbo C3 Project.

Thanks, we all need some good luck.


I finished and and raced the twin turbo dodge shadow in 2002
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
Well, in my past projects things like:

twin turboing a dodge shadow
retrofiting a cruise control solonoid to maintain RPM at launch before there was two step
using a fire extinguisher as an intake manifold in a 9 second 4 cyl.
I believe You by the way with your 9-second Dodge Shadow.
I worked on real powerful 1st Gen Mitsubishi EVO Last year this Time.
Hi Boost 88 mm Turbo it had 44 psi in 3rd Gear.
Rode shotgun...
4th gear shift it was so Violent I Could not see the Boost Guage clear....close to 50 psi at 8800 Rpm.
Moving over 160 mph on the Streets at night 2Am.

Put down over 800 Hp on the Mustang AWD Chassis Dyno at my old Race Shop job.
Proud to say I assembled the engine.
Real Good parts his inside.

10s are hard to hit in any Corvette.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
When I started the build, I figured it would cost about 10k to beef up the rear, so I decided to go with a 4 link rear solid rear instead. I gutted the weak independent GM rear. I fabbed up a 4 link setup (not a kit).


DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
I believe You by the way with your 9-second Dodge Shadow.
I worked on real powerful 1st Gen Mitsubishi EVO Last year this Time.
Hi Boost 88 mm Turbo it had 44 psi in 3rd Gear.
Rode shotgun...
4th gear shift it was so Violent I Could not see the Boost Guage clear....close to 50 psi at 8800 Rpm.
Moving over 160 mph on the Streets at night 2Am.

Put down over 800 Hp on the Mustang AWD Chassis Dyno at my old Race Shop job.
Proud to say I assembled the engine.
Real Good parts his inside.

10s are hard to hit in any Corvette.

The twin turbo Shadow never got into the 9s. It was a daily driver that raced at 12.19.



The 9 second 4 cyl that had the fire extinguisher was a first gen (before the SRT4) Plymouth neon.
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
The twin turbo Shadow never got into the 9s. It was a daily driver that raced at 12.19.



The 9 second 4 cyl that had the fire extinguisher was a first gen (before the SRT4) Plymouth neon.
Donny my old Co worker had one of those SRT4 Neons.
Had lots of Goodies.
He told me they could run 9's.


I used to go to Midnight Mayhem Street Racing at Cordova, IL.
It was neat. All the Import & domestic 4cylinder guys showed up.
11 PM to 4 AM Racing.
Time Clocks turned off.
Head to Head racing like the old days.
I ran against some really fast Turbo cars.
The White car in my Avitar I raced there.
1970 Pontiac Trans Am RAIV 455 4- speed.
Full race cam. Race gas 110 Fed.


The Young guys loved it me leaving the line super hard.
They told me on the 3 -4 shift WOT at 7000 I blew the back tires off a smoke show.
I just felt the ass end get loose & got it straight foot down to the floor.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
Well, in my past projects things like:

twin turboing a dodge shadow
retrofiting a cruise control solonoid to maintain RPM at launch before there was two step
using a fire extinguisher as an intake manifold in a 9 second 4 cyl.



LOL quoting myself. I can see how that was confusing. Those were three separate cars.
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
LOL quoting myself. I can see how that was confusing. Those were three separate cars.
OK.
Race Nut.


Welcome by the way.


Vettes are expensive.


As Long as you think Race Car you will hit your Goals.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
OK.
Race Nut.


Welcome by the way.


Vettes are expensive.


As Long as you think Race Car you will hit your Goals.

I'm going to need some luck then. I'm thinking a real cruiser that won't be breathing hard in the 10s.


I'm keeping the cost down. I don't buy kits. I do virtually all the work myself except boring, honing and paint.
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
I'm going to need some luck then. I'm thinking a real cruiser that won't be breathing hard in the 10s.


I'm keeping the cost down. I don't buy kits. I do virtually all the work myself except boring, honing and paint.

I have been around for a while.
main objective is to keep the Air Intake Temps down with Boost.
Tight package in any Corvette except for a C4 because it has a Clam shell Hood. Engine is set far back stock the SBC.


Cutting out the radiator core support & building your own from Chromoly Tubing.
Mount mockup the Huge Intercooler to keep IAT's down.
Big Fat Griffin Race Radiator universal Fit...Cost is just $300 there.
Need the engine in or at least a spare block to mockup correct.
Other way around is to use E85 as Fuel.
The alcohol in it has natural Latent cooling effect - heat rejection qualities.
E85 will bring IAT temps down 30-40 F lower typical.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
DblTrbl
DC Crew
 
Posts: 44
Member #135018
Member since: Nov 2013
Location: nj

My Corvette(s)
77

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
I have been around for a while.
main objective is to keep the Air Intake Temps down with Boost.
Tight package in any Corvette except for a C4 because it has a Clam shell Hood. Engine is set far back stock the SBC.


Cutting out the radiator core support & building your own from Chromoly Tubing.
Mount mockup the Huge Intercooler to keep IAT's down.
Big Fat Griffin Race Radiator universal Fit...Cost is just $300 there.
Need the engine in or at least a spare block to mockup correct.
Other way around is to use E85 as Fuel.
The alcohol in it has natural Latent cooling effect - heat rejection qualities.
E85 will bring IAT temps down 30-40 F lower typical.
DblTrbl is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #15
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post

A decent Head start for You.
Decent Game Plan.


Only 2 proven Manuals Transmissions to pull off the Objectives.
Muncie 4- speed.
T56 Tremec 6- speed. We just call M6.


200R4 you want to avoid.
To build up for Boost and not explode it will cost $5,000 to start.. Be really $7500.
Still a Toy A4 Auto.


700R4 Better.
4L60E used alot.
Some guys Love.
Beat on long enough it will crap.


4L80E Overdrive.
Excellent.
Torque converter prices coming down.
A phone call to Coan Transmissions .
$900.00+. One guy bought on another Forum recent.
Working nice for him in 1967 BBC Stroker 496 Ci 4L80E Ford 9 inch.


The Old Turbo 400. Exellent. No Overdrive.
Bullet proof.


Powerglide 2- speed...best for Track only.
Enough Hp it works on the street. Have to be a True diehard drag racer to love it on the street.
Bullet proof built right.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved