Another claimed insider - BS or News? You decide - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Another claimed insider - BS or News? You decide

There is a good chance that this is complete crap, but it's making it's way around the net so I'll put it out there for you to decide to accept or ignore. From Corvette Blogger's re-post of another claimed insider:

Quote:
I’m close enough to the inside to know the following about GM’s plans for the Corvette. I cannot reveal all I know without jeopardizing my business’s success, so please do not ask me to explain further, I will not answer. If you don’t believe me then that’s fine, I wouldn’t either if I was in your shoes, but I’m compelled to post now so there is less disappointment later when the Eagle has Landed.

The C8 Corvettes at Nürburgring are the real thing – the 2020 Corvette Manta Ray. This base Corvette will be powered by an updated LT1 V8 with about 520hp and 485 lb-ft torque. A DCT transaxle is used in all C8 Corvettes, no exceptions. The R&D investment in the DCT is said to be equivalent to that of both the manual and automatic in the C7 – they knew they had one chance to get the DCT right. The interior will be somewhat higher quality than the C7, and GM’s stylists have attempted a more “upscale” design. I have not seen it but those who have say it’s impressive, but still not at Porsche or Ferrari levels, which seems fair given the price.

In 2021 GM will revolutionize the Corvette lineup. In addition to the base Corvette two different high-end models will be introduced: Corvette Grand Tour and Corvette Grand Sport. The GT is as luxurious as if Cadillac designed it, because a Cadillac team is in fact responsible for the GT. It’s a true GT and in addition to standard MRC it will deploy a full gamut of NVH countermeasures like acoustic glass, heavy sound deadening, and special wheels/tires, all for a cross country tourer that with a twist of the mode dial will handle any road or even a race track. The GT will be propelled by a version of Cadillac’s 4.2L twin turbo V8 with the turbos moved to the sides, and this engine is said to be the quietest V8 GM has ever developed. Word is that GM benchmarked the Corvette GT’s NVH against German luxury tourers from Mercedes Benz and BMW. Not sports cars, tourers.

The Grand Sport moniker will be used for the insane sports version and it will feature additional escalating packages with more and more track orientation. GM found that buyers liked the name “Grand Sport” better than their alphanumeric gibberish “ZO6” so they ran with it. MRC is standard and in later years there will be a track package with DSSV and a higher output engine. What engine, you say? Hold on to your butts because the GS will be powered by a beastly 5.5L twin turbo V8 that is said to be frighteningly powerful and in private track sessions has dominated both “the Germans and Italians.” That’s just the first year GS, not the track-oriented version. My description isn’t hyperbole – those who have driven the GS tell me that it is literally frightening to floor it. GM even had a team of lawyers in to advise on the legal perils of selling such a potent vehicle for street use.

How the Corvette is sold will change as radically as the engine mounting position. Any GM dealer will be able to sell the Corvette brand, but on the flip side, it will be far more difficult for dealers to qualify to sell Corvettes. You won’t have to worry about Joey the Chevy Cruze expert wrenching on your Corvette since dealers will require a minimum count of certified Corvette techs and only those techs will be permitted to work on Corvettes. Since “Corvette” will be a brand unto itself it implies more than just the GT and GS sub-models, doesn’t it? Make of this what you will.

Interestingly, a mid engine Corvette makes space for the 7th gen Camaro to slip into the C7’s current segment in 2021, at current Camaro prices. The 2021 Camaro will be as revolutionary as the C8 but that’s for another forum at another time.

So there you have it, GM’s bold and brash sports car strategy. These will be the last of GM’s gasoline powered sports cars, a bright nuclear flash before the onset of an EV future. I’m familiar with one of the upcoming EV sports cars as well. Suffice to say, performance gearheads have absolutely nothing to worry about because every one of the sports cars (and sports CUVs) in development at GM are poised to vastly exceed expectations.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (sold); 2002 Corvette Convertible

Here is what I find interesting with this "so-called Corvette insider."

Other individuals who have been in the Corvette circle aren't saying much and what they say is guarded. They are not spilling the beans if you will. They will just note and point to FCC filings and patents to make their statement without rumor or overstepping.

This "insider" which you don't name has all the details and info and shares it rather freely. Now we know that there is a mid engine C8 coming and with different engines/performance. We've seen CAD drawings and several mules. Select high end dealers were giving a sneak peek in Las Vegas and they are very tight lipped.

One such dealer is 15 miles from me and is the largest Midwest Corvette dealer. He has a dedicated showroom with almost 100 Vettes inside and that is just his floor stock. He knows more than he says!

Corvette dealers all have specially trained techs. This has always been the case and has grown. My dad had his tech trained to fix Corvette's, but he wasn't a high volume dealer so they worked on everything with little real world experience. A volume Corvette dealer will have dedicated techs. This was not new information.

I'd like to see the source. My closest source is from Detroit and works at GM overseeing the overall service department of said brand. Not factory worker or engineering team. Oversees the brand when something breaks and works with engineering team and factory to repair it. The C8 has broken down and he has been involved.
ddregehr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddregehr For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-06-2018), stinger430 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

My take on the above "leak:"

Based on his first paragraph, this guy sounds like a supplier to me. Not sure why a supplier would be privy to key strategies as he presents. In reality, he might KNOW certain small pieces that he has put together for all of this, or he might be completely full of bovine excrement.

For example, I doubt that Corvette is becoming its own brand unless there are more Corvette models coming ala the Porsche lineup that includes SUVs. I like the idea of taking Corvette in that direction I think I am in the minority. Also, the recent "leaks" indicating a Cadillac sister to the C8 better explain this leaker's "knowledge" about the Cad V8TT going into a BG chassis....

How many here think that a high dollar Corvette would feature a Cadillac engine. Show of hands..........I see one guy and you are wrong. Vetters would tend to poo-poo a cad engine as inadequate and inappropriate for any Corvette - much less a high dollar Corvette. The Grand Touring model discussed is obviously (to me) the rumored and key-fob-indicated Cad sister car of the C8, IMO. The existence of the separate production line for a unique body, engine, and interior would seem to better rationalize the almost-doubling of the size of the Bowling Green plant.

Manta Ray vs. Zora. Tough one. Until the Australia filing for the name "Zora," I didn't think that GM would ever show respect for any individual by naming a model after someone. Just does not fit a BOD style of marketing. Zora certainly deserves to be recognized for saving and nurturing Corvette. I'm just skeptical that GM would do it. "Stingray" cannot be used because we have been told the C7 will sell alongside of the C8 for a period of time (until C8 sales kill it).

The Camaro moving up-price is stupid and will not happen. The Camaro faces off against the Mustang. Ford would LOVE to see the Camaro go up $15k in price. They would simply ad $10-11k and still rob sales until Camaro died a slow death.

All of the above JMHO.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)

I can see an XLR version 2 with a Cadillac engine, but true diehard fans will stick with the Corvette. I think there is more he thinks he knows that actually knows. Until it is revealed, we will all be guessing. I like facts and will stick with those. Speculation is simply that. I just want to see it and dream of what might be. The C7 wet my chops and the C8 has piqued my curiosity. What do you have there GM?????
Old 12-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)

I loved motor1.com's opinion on the "insider report". It says,

Lastly, the post—while well-written—simply has a tone that feels more like fanboy-dreamer than cool-insider. The whole so-powerful-its scary thing seems over-the-top in a world where 1,000-horsepower street cars are not uncommon, and starting off by saying “if you don’t believe me that’s fine” just sounds so adolescent. If it's fine, then why are you even posting?

That made me

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...GTu?li=BBnbfcL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddregehr For This Useful Post:
HN376RAR (12-10-2018), stinger430 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

I don't put too much stock in this "leak". The part about Corvette becoming it's own brand made it lose credibility for me.

As much as I think it makes perfect sense, and I'd love for it to happen, I just don't see GM letting Corvette become it's own brand.
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to stinger430 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

After seeing the pics and hearing the car in the sebring video I think it is official I am out of the Corvette camp. There is just nothing for me there with the next generation Corvette, though not sure where to go to next. Hope that Mazda makes a new RX7.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadkillz For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
After seeing the pics and hearing the car in the sebring video I think it is official I am out of the Corvette camp. There is just nothing for me there with the next generation Corvette, though not sure where to go to next. Hope that Mazda makes a new RX7.
I feel you bro. I know we haven't seen the whole car as yet but I think the Corvette has become a completely different animal now. Not really my cup of tea.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #9
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Another interesting development. GM Authority is reporting that they have been told by a Chevy contact at GM that....
Quote:
... official comment, we were told that there’s nothing planned from the Chevrolet car or crossover team. The news is rather deflating, as the premise of a mid-engine Corvette debut at the last North American International Auto Show in January would have seen the event go out with a bang.
This would seem to make no sense of course. There are 3 possibilities:
1. The official comment shown is just wrong and the C8 will debut in the Chevy Exhibit at NAIAS.
2. The Corvette C8 will debut at some event later in the year. GM Authority suggests the NYC Auto Show would be appropriate because the Corvette debuted as a concept in 1953 at the Waldorff Astoria in NYC.
3. Far fetched: The Corvette C8 will debut as a new division of GM at their OWN display, not Chevy's display at the January NAIAS.

I only list #3 because the "insider" comment above does fit this new development. Won't be long before we will know - at least about a NAIAS debut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

I hope it's #3. That would get me more excited than the Mid-Engined car itslef! lol.

I think the Corvette brand is powerful enough to be it's own division.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

A mid-engine corvette would be out of reach for 95% of the people who want one.
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Ain't THAT the mofo truth
Old 12-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #12
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

I think the fact that G/M is cutting lines and jobs based on numbers would not bode well for putting the corvette as it's own line as opposed to being part of chevy. I think this is part of the reason for the delay of the C/8. So based on that feeling I think the insider stuff is not correct. One more thing to think about , G/M is cutting lines out based on numbers, if the corvette wasn't G/M's flagship car would G/M continue to make it. The C/7 hasn't sold out yet. Dealers have lots of inventory and cars are setting.
StillCrazy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Thought of one more reason:

4. IF the C8 is to be priced only a $3-6k more than the C7, GM is probably concerned that if the time from the debut until the end of the C7 production is too long, GM will be stuck will too large of a C7 inventory and end up cutting prices so low that current owners will be angry. This scenario would, obviously, exclude the possibility of C7/C8 side by side production for anuthing other than a very short period of time....with the C8s purposely being stored until C7 demand almost stops.

FWIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in