No NAIAS debut seems to be confirmed..... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

No NAIAS debut seems to be confirmed.....

GM Authority is claiming....

Quote:
According to sources familiar with the matter speaking to GM Authority on the basis of anonymity, engineers have uncovered a major electrical issue with the future Corvette during the development process. From what we gather, the vehicle’s electrical system can’t carry the load necessary to support the necessary components.

To address the issue, engineers will need to re-engineer the vehicle’s electrical system. Naturally, changes made to the sports car will also need to be coordinated with suppliers involved in providing GM with the electrical components, as well as any associated equipment. The undertaking will delay the mid-engine Corvette project by six months.

Despite this, GM/Chevrolet should still be able to launch the mid engine Corvette for the 2020 model year, though a 2021 model year launch is not entirely off the table.
Sounds believable to me.

Possible scenario 1: As we have said many times in the past, other than the [trans axle vs. the trans+differential] a C7 is exactly as unique as a rear mid-engine (C8) would be so assuming the same quantities of vehicles are produced. The Toyota MR2 was not significantly more expensive the Miata at the time, despite the Miata's much higher volume of production. That said, the demands on the various computer control systems of the C8 would be radically different due to the different weight bias. Apparently, they are so very different that different voltage/amperage requirements for the Control Modules might be overtaxing the wiring system.

Possible scenario 2: The fancy new taillights might need larger gauge wire...or something else little.

I have a hard time buying into the "Something Little" scenario because of the lengthy development cycle the C8 has undergone.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

That car must have a ton of electronic controls for it to be causing the engineers so much trouble. GM engineers are wizards when it comes to electronics.
stinger430 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

I would never buy a mid engine corvette....the main reason being anticipated cost and the that I feel it isn't a "true" corvette.
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Ain't THAT the mofo truth

Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger430 View Post
That car must have a ton of electronic controls for it to be causing the engineers so much trouble. GM engineers are wizards when it comes to electronics.
...or maybe just different requirements that they haven't run into before because it is the first high performance rear mid they have ever produced. Just guesses of what the problem was for now.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
I would never buy a mid engine corvette....the main reason being anticipated cost and the that I feel it isn't a "true" corvette.
Get a pill. You suffer from premature misspectulation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Get a pill. You suffer from premature misspectulation.

Many articles put this car in excess of $100k.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Something else is up Longtimer.

The only High amperage power requirement New is that Linear electric motor Power Rear drive on the fly electric rear wing like a Ford GT has.
Looking at 50-70 amps max to power it.

Easily solved with a Bus bar electric layout & magnetic pole relays.
Just like a school bus is wired up. A central Power control panel.
Drag cars are wired the same.

My guess is the 180 degree flat plane crankshaft & Honda 4 banger sound got ditched.
Have to re engineer camshafts again to match.
Get the LS Chevy Roar back.

Likley looked at the Dodge Death Bullet 1000 HP Crate engine that more important has 950 FT/Lbs torque rating too.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Many articles put this car in excess of $100k.
It's pretty easy to get a C7 up past the century mark today, but those are NOT the highest selling C7s.

The Dodge Viper was a fine vehicle when it died but it was consistently priced $15-20K higher than Corvette largely because of a sales volume that exceeded 2000 only one year in its 20 year life span.

I've been a Controller in Manufacturing organizations all my professional life. Yeah, I'm a bean counter. I just ran a spreadsheet using the numbers we KNOW about BG and using estimates of Gross Profit per unit at today's pricing and today's units. I could lay it all out for you, but you'd probably be asleep after 3 or 4 lines - like most non finance people. So I will summarize it:

25-40 thousand Corvettes per year were needed to make money on Bowling Green C5, C6, and C7s. THEN GM invested ~$750MILLION into the BG plant. GM will amortize the $750M number across as many production years and models (Cadillac too?) as possible, but it's still a much bigger Base Overhead Cost to cover. At the prior production level, this adds a minium of ~$2500 of cost per car, not including the added employees, utilities and maintenance costs required for the new space and not all of the $750 Mill are leasehold improvements so will have a shorter life and will increase the $2500 / car costs. THOSE are VERY significant costs that MUST be covered each year and I cannot estimate them.

The C8 sales number we are seeing most often is $150k. That is almost 3 times today's base price of $55k. Market demand (YOU, Ponch and me and others reading this) will fall off DRASTICALLY with a 270% increase in price. Demand falls drastically, units sold falls drastically. If they sell only 5,000 C8s per year, Bowling Green needs to have 7.75 times more profit per car just to cover the new costs.

The bottom line is that GM did not invest $750Million into the BG plant to sell 83% fewer Corvettes and make less profit. If they did this, the shareholders would easily win a class action lawsuit against the Board of Directors.

The base MSRP of the C8 will be somewhere under $70k and very likely in the low $60k the first year.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

You analysis fails to take into account the research and development costs associated with designing a completely new platform. Add to that the Porsche 911, Acura NSX, and Audi R8 are well into the 6 figure range. There is no way a mid engine corvette comes in any where near the high $60k or low $70k range. There’s a better chance that the C7 continues being produced along side the mid engine C8 and then a front engine C8 coming out in a couple years.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

The demographic you refer to will be serviced by the C8 platform sister Cadillac.

We will know when we know.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
The demographic you refer to will be serviced by the C8 platform sister Cadillac.

We will know when we know.

If it is Fast enough And Superior to most exotics the C8 will sell Longtimer.
Its a Corvette so its a Given it will handle very nice.

If it impresses Jay Leno the Average Guy will dream of the C8 & owning it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
If it is Fast enough And Superior to most exotics the C8 will sell Longtimer.
Its a Corvette so its a Given it will handle very nice.
If it impresses Jay Leno the Average Guy will dream of the C8 & owning it.
Dreams do not equal sales. If you are saying that a $150k C8 will still sell 20-25 thousand units every year because Jay Leno likes it, I could not disagree more. Leno has a million dollar McLaren he LOVES and I and MANY others 'dream' of owning a McLaren but we never will.
  • McLaren sells about 4,000 units per year.
  • Ferrari sells about 7,000 per year.
  • An Audi R8 sells for $166k and sells about 800 cars per year.
  • The BMW i8 sells for $145k and their highest sales year was 2016 with less than 7,000 units.
  • The Mercedes-Benz AMG GT C sells for $145k and ALL AMG GT sell ~2500 units per year.
  • The Aston Martin V8 Vantage GTS sells for about $140k and they sell about 100 units per year.
  • The Jaguar F-Type SVR sells for $122k and sells about 4,000 units of ALL F-types. Could not find the SVR units.
  • The Nissan GT-R sells for ~$112k and sells 1200-1700 units per year at best.
  • The average sale price of a new Porche 911 is $85,000 and they sell 32,000 units annually.

The above are all Global Sales.

Do you see the pattern? Bowling Green could not survive a C8 with a base price above $100k. Again, GM just invested another $750 MILLION in GB. The intent is NOT to sell fewer cars.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Dreams do not equal sales. If you are saying that a $150k C8 will still sell 20-25 thousand units every year because Jay Leno likes it, I could not disagree more. Leno has a million dollar McLaren he LOVES and I and MANY others 'dream' of owning a McLaren but we never will.
  • McLaren sells about 4,000 units per year.
  • Ferrari sells about 7,000 per year.
  • An Audi R8 sells for $166k and sells about 800 cars per year.
  • The BMW i8 sells for $145k and their highest sales year was 2016 with less than 7,000 units.
  • The Mercedes-Benz AMG GT C sells for $145k and ALL AMG GT sell ~2500 units per year.
  • The Aston Martin V8 Vantage GTS sells for about $140k and they sell about 100 units per year.
  • The Jaguar F-Type SVR sells for $122k and sells about 4,000 units of ALL F-types. Could not find the SVR units.
  • The Nissan GT-R sells for ~$112k and sells 1200-1700 units per year at best.
  • The average sale price of a new Porche 911 is $85,000 and they sell 32,000 units annually.

The above are all Global Sales.

Do you see the pattern? Bowling Green could not survive a C8 with a base price above $100k. Again, GM just invested another $750 MILLION in GB. The intent is NOT to sell fewer cars.
I 1st drove a Corvette in 1987.
It was a C3 Silver Anniversery.
I dreamed of buying owning my own.

My Generation as Mass has no interest in Corvettes.
C8 is targeted all for Boomers.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Just like the 1960's a Public Figure liked by all was chosen to Promote.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

If you look into Jay Leno he has some pretty Mundane cars too.
He buys what likes.
All makes.

Even has a 1987 Corvette Roadster like me.
The Corvette near all hate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in