No NAIAS debut seems to be confirmed..... - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #16
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
The Corvette near all hate.
For a hated car, Corvette sells pretty well. Only the Miata sells more sports cars than Corvette each year. It's a rare year that the 911 sells more globally and they have been available in right-hand drive and selling into those markets for decades.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
For a hated car, Corvette sells pretty well. Only the Miata sells more sports cars than Corvette each year. It's a rare year that the 911 sells more globally and they have been available in right-hand drive and selling into those markets for decades.
No the C4 generation I was referring to.
Autowiz said you can buy them now for just $200 bucks.
Well his c5 you can buy for $3,000-$5,000 now.

C4 is the best Corvette to cut up and turn into a Race Car.
Every Engine Fits.
Every Transmission Fits.

Handles Nice also.
Very light. 3200 lbs.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2018, 01:41 AM   #18
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
No the C4 generation I was referring to.
Preaching to the choir. I drove my C4 almost 18 years. Loved it, except for the rattles and squeaks....and avoiding speed bumps with the top off.

BTW, the C4 weight was 3239. My 2007 weighs 3179, but the 2007 Z06 weighs 3130.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-16-2018)

Old 12-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #19
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Preaching to the choir. I drove my C4 almost 18 years. Loved it, except for the rattles and squeaks....and avoiding speed bumps with the top off.

BTW, the C4 weight was 3239. My 2007 weighs 3179, but the 2007 Z06 weighs 3130.
The C4 convertible does not squeak or ratttle.
I do experience cowl shake over rough blacktop but got used to that.
Getting closer to 200,000 miles.
Drove 170,000 myself.
Had 29k on the clock when I found it buried under 4 feet of snow at the last GM Dealership I worked at.
Told the Head Salesman I want it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniacmechanic1 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #20
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Owned Her 2 years already back 2009.
Paid off in full right before the Economy crashed too.
Sold many Rare Pontiac parts I stashed to pay my Corvette off.
No Regrets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maniacmechanic1 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-16-2018), stinger430 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #21
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

The latest speculation is that the C8 might be running a 48 volt system and a prototype might have discovered a weakness in the system. Why a 48V system? Probably for fewer accessories hanging off the engine. Electric A/C, steering, differential, clutch, shifting actuators, etc. BTW, a 48V system uses an electric generator rather than an Alternator thereby reducing engine drag. Delphi is one of the leading providers of 48V systems.

Audi has been working on a 48V system that runs a supercharger with electricity rather than parasitic engine belt drive. However, we've heard that all of the rumors say Twin Turbos....unless that was really the Cadillac sister car and the C8 might use an electric S/C?

Here's a long shot: There have been a lot of experiments/development using electric valve actuators replacing cam operated valves. They reduce internal engine friction and are infinitely variable by the ECM - all while reducing weight. This one has to be doubtful at least for the entry-level C8. Too much is riding on this change to toss an unproven engine into the mix, IMO. It probably would cost more too.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #22
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

BACK to the subject of this thread.....

There are wild rumors flying around the industry and other Forums about the C8. I refuse to give credence to them by starting a new thread for them...other than the 'Zora' rumor that we've discussed on another thread.

1) Some troll (IMO) on another forum site is saying that the C8 will debut January 14 somewhere NOT at the NAIAS. January 14 IS the start of the Press Preview at NAIAS.
1a) NAIAS previews have never been subject to leaks prior to the previews. We've not seen workers' pics of the cars to be previewed a day or so prior to the previews.
1b) We have seen very elaborate previews with plenty of special effects, music, etc. In other words, there seems to be no limitations on a NAIAS debut.
1c) Plenty of PRESS in attendance is a big motivator FOR a NAIAS Debut. Detroit in January is NOT a fun place to drive around. Bitter cold, slippery roads in poor repair, bone chilling weather plague Detroit right now which is why they are moving all Future NAIAS dates to a more weather-friendly time of year. Making the Press go somewhere else to see only the C8 in this weather, would not make them happy with GM and it would reflect in the reviews.
2) Another GM patent has been getting some play along the rumor mill. The patent uses a C7 as the diagram so some are saying it will be standard on the C8. The patent is for automatic opening doors. Presumably, the transponder key fob in your pocket would not only unlock Corvette doors but would also open them. Presumably, there is a sensor that will prevent the door from touching any object along its surface to limit how far it opens up.
I have some 'what if' questions, but I won't ponder them here. My biggest question is: Why on a Corvette??!! I guess I'm a bit weird about unnecessary weight in a car. When I found out that the C7 had to be encumbered with ~150-200 lbs of anti-resonating materials to accommodate the cylinder shut off feature of the new LT engine that yields ~1 MPG, I went ballistic and have still not embraced the logic of adding that weight for a measly MPG. if given a choice, 99.9% of Vette Buyers would choose the improved performance of the care without that ballast and gladly forfeit the 1 MPG. But I digress. Why does a Corvette need auto opening doors and the added weight of ??lbs. of wires, motors and sensors required to make this work? Sure it sounds 'neat' but Corvettes are already "neat" and a gimmick like this belongs on a Cadillac, not on a Corvette. JMHO
That said, you've been told now - Auto opening doors might be present on the C8. Ugh.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #23
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Totally agree LT!!! I know the Corvette is a GT, but power opening doors is ridiculous. Maybe this ME car really is a Cadillac after all.

I'm not a gambling man, but I'm willing to bet that the removal of all that cylinder deactivation junk on the C7, and the corresponding loss of ~200lbs, would result in more than 1 mpg gain. Less inertia for the engine to overcome while driving around in the city.
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #24
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
There are wild rumors flying around the industry and other Forums about the C8. I refuse to give credence to them by starting a new thread for them...

1) Some troll (IMO) on another MAJOR forum site is saying that the C8 will debut January 14 somewhere NOT at the NAIAS.
Didn't happen. No debut today. No surprise to most of us on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in