A lot of you will like this... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

A lot of you will like this...

The Detroit News published a lengthy C8 article yesterday that, to a large extent recapped [leaks/facts/reasonable assumptions]. No new pics. However, it also included some new bits and implied 'facts.'

1) A lot of you guys LOVE golf. I'd rather stay home and pay my taxes than pay big $$ to humiliate myself in front of others, but that's just me. The DN article states very factually that the C8 "...will still satisfy Corvette traditionalists by fitting two golf bags in the front trunk, or "frunk." " Granted they would not be under a spacious hatch like in the past, but that's still a reasonably wide and deep 'utility area.' They also mention that some of that space will be eaten up by the addition of electric power for the front wheels on a future model.
2) Following their reference to the new base engine as a pushrod LT2 that will have more HP than the LT1 (no big shock there), "...expect the C8 to cost $4,000-$5,000 more than the current front-engine model. That would put its starting price in the neighborhood of $60,000 still well below, say, a $92,000 Porsche 911."
3) DN repeats the becoming-popular-opinion that a late August debut at NCM and Corvettes at Carlisle while pointing out that the C8.R will start hitting tracks in January 2020 and the production new generation has always debut prior to the ".R" Corvette.
4) DN also recaps the comments of Don Sherman we have posted on another thread here. They emphasize that this is the most "clean sheet" new Corvette generation in history which is why it has had such a protracted development period.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
mongo (03-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

These renderings are from another Forum, NOT from Detroit News but I thought you might enjoy this speculation. They don't seem to deviate from the front and rear fascias we saw in the BG paint booth pics and the lines look pretty close to the lines in the latest spy pics. However, IMO the frunk looks like it has more creases in it than in the prototypes - not sure:

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Most of the newer renderings are including that black 'soft' material at the leading edge of the side scoops. Why? I think the logic is twofold.
1) IF there is an opening door pad as used on the C6 & C7, the most obvious placement would be on the back side of that scoop indent on the doors. I say "IF" because we have seen a patent for self-opening doors that are triggered by the fob transponder proximity. This might end up being standard, an option, only on a particular model, or maybe an exclusive for a sister platform Caddy car. Regardless, the black would do a better job of hiding thumbprints from opening the door.
2) Visualize standing too close when you open that door. The edge of that scoop indent is VERY sharp and is a potential thigh-buster. A softer, more flexible material would go a long way in reducing bruises and curse words - from driver AND passenger.

Like the C7 Gansta Tear vents hanging off its taillights, GM could make the black soft material (if there at all) standard with an enduro (soft and smooth) painted material optional and then monitor how many times that box is ticked with consideration for making the body colored soft material standard sometime during the run. They did something like this with the early run black thumb guard on the C6 pad.

FWIW

Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
rhandle
DC Crew

Member #8644

Sad

I don't feel the excitement that most of you are feeling.I am still holding on to a dream that it remains FWD.I do not want all the ownership issues that come with a first-year model. Or 2nd .Or 3rd?
48 friggin volts?Electric motors? Crap, to think I was unhappy about the push button start. Don't you miss the simplicity of a C4? I hate to say it, but, I will probably skip THIS corvette. So Sad
rhandle is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rhandle For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I don't feel the excitement that most of you are feeling.I am still holding on to a dream that it remains FWD.I do not want all the ownership issues that come with a first-year model. Or 2nd .Or 3rd?
48 friggin volts?Electric motors? Crap, to think I was unhappy about the push button start. Don't you miss the simplicity of a C4? I hate to say it, but, I will probably skip THIS corvette. So Sad
The C8 may be the last internal combustion car GM builds.
Plans are to go all EV soon by GM 100 %.
Just Google.

Like my C4 87 Vert too.

C8 is going Euro.
Not much you or me can do.
Has to be Super Fast to impress .
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
The D word company is rebelling hardest.
Going out full bore or staying alive.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Each to his own, but I have no idea how you ever got the idea that the Corvette is an FWD (Front Wheel Drive vehicle). It is not and never has been FWD. Since 1963 it has been a front-mid-engine vehicle because the engine has been positioned behind the front "axle." This improved handling but has never done enough for rear traction. There have been years when a 6 cyl Porsche with 100 less HP beat the Corvette 0-60 times because of the rear traction of the rear engine. The C7's VERY heavy electronic differential helped traction, but probably as much for the added weight over the drive tires as for the fancy technology. What good is 600+HP if the suspension can only maintain traction for 500 of those horses?

There is absolutely NO POSSIBILITY of the C8 being a front engine car, so do NOT HOPE for that. Just go get the best deal in history for the C7 of your desires. Enjoy it. It is the best performing vette to date and THE final front engine Corvette. The C8 will do everything better than the C7 with the possible/probable exception of cubic feet of storage. Its Frunk will hold two bags of golf clubs like the C5,6, &7, but that extra space between the bags and the glass hatch is gone forever. Only a fool argues with the laws of physics and even the GM BOD has stopped being fools about the Corvette.

It's going to be a LOT of fun watching the C8.R (based on a $60-70k production vette) walk away from the racing Ford GTs based on their $250k limited production cars.

BTW, I too loved my C4, but it was THE WORST car I've ever owned to get in and out of. AND I LOVE my C6 pushbutton start but it's too damn light in the rear and tires lose the fight for traction WAAAAY to often.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Handle your the 1st Boomer to speak up you do not like The C8.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #9
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Each to his own, but I have no idea how you ever got the idea that the Corvette is an FWD (Front Wheel Drive vehicle). It is not and never has been FWD. Since 1963 it has been a front-mid-engine vehicle because the engine has been positioned behind the front "axle." This improved handling but has never done enough for rear traction. There have been years when a 6 cyl Porsche with 100 less HP beat the Corvette 0-60 times because of the rear traction of the rear engine. The C7's VERY heavy electronic differential helped traction, but probably as much for the added weight over the drive tires as for the fancy technology. What good is 600+HP if the suspension can only maintain traction for 500 of those horses?

There is absolutely NO POSSIBILITY of the C8 being a front engine car, so do NOT HOPE for that. Just go get the best deal in history for the C7 of your desires. Enjoy it. It is the best performing vette to date and THE final front engine Corvette. The C8 will do everything better than the C7 with the possible/probable exception of cubic feet of storage. Its Frunk will hold two bags of golf clubs like the C5,6, &7, but that extra space between the bags and the glass hatch is gone forever. Only a fool argues with the laws of physics and even the GM BOD has stopped being fools about the Corvette.

It's going to be a LOT of fun watching the C8.R (based on a $60-70k production vette) walk away from the racing Ford GTs based on their $250k limited production cars.

BTW, I too loved my C4, but it was THE WORST car I've ever owned to get in and out of. AND I LOVE my C6 pushbutton start but it's too damn light in the rear and tires lose the fight for traction WAAAAY to often.
The Main Target of Corvettes is wealthy Boomers.
Has been for decades.
I don't see it changing with the C8.
My Gen X is only interested in 1000 Hp.
It's going to be unaffordable C8 1000 Hp for us.

Really have showed us nothing.
No performance stats tests.

C4 Was the ultimate built in rear antisquat traction.
Boomers complained of rough ride and squeaks and rattles.
C5 to present changed rear geometry.
Tradeoff is less traction on acceleration.
Figured Boomers not going race I think.

Mid engine can overseer bad when wet.
Porsche known for it.
See what happens.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

longtimer ,first off thank you for the information. If your renderings are anywhere close, and I believe they are based on all that I have seen, I just cant get passed those HUDGE side vents for air. Now I know they are needed for cooling ,I get it, But to me it just seems to throw off the flow of the design, IMO. I am sure G/M has done exhaustive studies on air flow, I get it, It still looks like a whale mouth opening.
StillCrazy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to StillCrazy For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
longtimer ,first off thank you for the information. If your renderings are anywhere close, and I believe they are based on all that I have seen, I just cant get passed those HUDGE side vents for air. Now I know they are needed for cooling ,I get it, But to me it just seems to throw off the flow of the design, IMO. I am sure G/M has done exhaustive studies on air flow, I get it, It still looks like a whale mouth opening.
Yes they should loose that flat black accent around the rear vent openings.
Looks bad.

If it runs 9.000's in 1/4 mile we have a Hero Corvette C8 1000 HP.
If not its going to suck ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in