Reputable Engine Builders... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance



Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputable Engine Builders...

In the Calgary area. I have another thread running regarding the quote I got for a zz383 crate motor from GM. Some guys think its too much, so I'm going to talk to a local engine builder regarding rebuilding my stock motor to be as powerful as a zz383. I just want to get an idea for whether its going to be cheaper to go with the zz383 crate.

So, does anyone here know of reputable engine builders in the Calgary area?
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Solid LT1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 249
Member #59853
Member since: May 2007
Location: Fremont/CA/USA

My Corvette(s)
C5 Z06 C3 LT1 C2 Fuelly

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There has to be a racing series in your area whether it be CASCAR, Ice Racing, Circle Track something that seperates the "posuer" from "the real deal" in machine shops. Look for a local racing series and go to the events to get the straight news on the right shop to give your business to (my method and it works well but, BEWARE of Drag Race specialists as there are some capable of making big power but POOR DURABILITY.)
Solid LT1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid LT1 View Post
There has to be a racing series in your area whether it be CASCAR, Ice Racing, Circle Track something that seperates the "posuer" from "the real deal" in machine shops. Look for a local racing series and go to the events to get the straight news on the right shop to give your business to (my method and it works well but, BEWARE of Drag Race specialists as there are some capable of making big power but POOR DURABILITY.)
Thanks!
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Art Jett
 
Art Jett's Avatar
 
Posts: 905
Member #46210
Member since: May 2006
Location: Azle Tx. U.S.A.

My Corvette(s)
1977 TPI 383 stroker/700R-4, 2002 Viper GTS

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A good friend of mine (the guy I bought my car from) who used to live there had his machine work done at a shop between Deerfoot Tr. and McCloud TR. I think somewhere around 58 st. He is seriously into vettes and has tons of money, so I'm sure he wouldn't pick a substandard or even adequate machine shop. Check your local phonebook and see if there is one close to there. I'll E-mail him and see if he remembers the name. He lives in Panama now. I'll post when I hear from him. Art
Art Jett is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Jett View Post
A good friend of mine (the guy I bought my car from) who used to live there had his machine work done at a shop between Deerfoot Tr. and McCloud TR. I think somewhere around 58 st. He is seriously into vettes and has tons of money, so I'm sure he wouldn't pick a substandard or even adequate machine shop. Check your local phonebook and see if there is one close to there. I'll E-mail him and see if he remembers the name. He lives in Panama now. I'll post when I hear from him. Art
Thanks! I might be going with an LS1 engine now, but either way, I might be needing to get some machinework done
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor
 
gtr1999's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,760
Member #44662
Member since: Apr 2006
Location: New Haven CT-USA!!!

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Thanks: 18
Thanked 177 Times in 159 Posts
You have done a lot of research on other jobs, do the same here.

My son used a shop that was supposed to be good. I later found out he is a crook. To make a long story short, the shop over bored the block, stole my pink rods, wrecked the cam bearings he installed and then lied about it.

The lier tried his best to get out of it and never figured I would check the dimensions or his work. He fully intented to take advantage of another kid by doing a job that would fail so he could get it back for another job and this time he could sell us parts.

I didn't let him get away with it and took him to court. After 1.5 years he settled.

Don't go on one recommendation. Ask around the area garages and at shows, visit the shop and talk about the job. If they fail to answer your questions or don't want to bother with you then move on.

You learned about some corvette vendors so apply that experience to your engine search.
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 03-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr1999 View Post
You have done a lot of research on other jobs, do the same here.

My son used a shop that was supposed to be good. I later found out he is a crook. To make a long story short, the shop over bored the block, stole my pink rods, wrecked the cam bearings he installed and then lied about it.

The lier tried his best to get out of it and never figured I would check the dimensions or his work. He fully intented to take advantage of another kid by doing a job that would fail so he could get it back for another job and this time he could sell us parts.

I didn't let him get away with it and took him to court. After 1.5 years he settled.

Don't go on one recommendation. Ask around the area garages and at shows, visit the shop and talk about the job. If they fail to answer your questions or don't want to bother with you then move on.

You learned about some corvette vendors so apply that experience to your engine search.
Don't you worry Gary - I'll make sure to do a lot of research before farming anything out. I'll even get my friend who owns a machineshop (he doesn't do engines unfortunately) check any work I get done. He has every measurement tool imagineable
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Art Jett
 
Art Jett's Avatar
 
Posts: 905
Member #46210
Member since: May 2006
Location: Azle Tx. U.S.A.

My Corvette(s)
1977 TPI 383 stroker/700R-4, 2002 Viper GTS

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My friend said to try either Reliable Engine Builders or Ron's Custom Balancing which is just north of the city---403/277-0505. Art
Art Jett is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm getting a big block

a post from yesterday:

I just got off the phone with Eric (CF forum name is breathial). I think I've decided on a big block boys. He'd build the bottom end bulletproof and make the engine run for 400 HP. Then If I get used to it (I doubt I ever will), then I can change to better heads and cam to get more HP out of it. AND ITS WAY CHEAPER THAN THE CRATE ENGINE I WANTED! I wouldn't need a core charge either. I'm so psyched.

here is an example of his work
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1964495

thanks for all the help guys
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Dirtbuster1
 
Posts: 388
Member #63009
Member since: Jul 2007

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger12 View Post
I think I'm getting a big block

a post from yesterday:

I just got off the phone with Eric (CF forum name is breathial). I think I've decided on a big block boys. He'd build the bottom end bulletproof and make the engine run for 400 HP. Then If I get used to it (I doubt I ever will), then I can change to better heads and cam to get more HP out of it. AND ITS WAY CHEAPER THAN THE CRATE ENGINE I WANTED! I wouldn't need a core charge either. I'm so psyched.

here is an example of his work
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1964495

thanks for all the help guys
Stinger,

I can't get your url to work?
Dirtbuster1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1 View Post
Stinger,

I can't get your url to work?
My dad wants me to see how much the local engine builders are charging for this type of setup before Eric and me go any further with the engine build. So, I have to do some research before I do anything.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1964495
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Altered
DC Crew
 
Altered's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,457
Member #67645
Member since: Dec 2007
Location: Texas

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray L48 4spd

Thanks: 76
Thanked 79 Times in 68 Posts
As far as power a BB is going to be way easier to reach 400 to 500 hp and still be very streetable. Thats a great choice as long as you want the BB look and feel in your car.
Altered is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
stinger12
DC Crew
 
stinger12's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Member #56526
Member since: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary/Alberta/Canada

My Corvette(s)
1976 stingray

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered View Post
As far as power a BB is going to be way easier to reach 400 to 500 hp and still be very streetable. Thats a great choice as long as you want the BB look and feel in your car.
Yeah, the BB will allow me to get more HP out of it in the future. I'm not sure who's building it yet, because my dad wants me to find someone locally who will build it for me. Problem is that they charge way more than Eric (breathial) is going to charge me, and I don't trust anyone here in town...I've heard too many horror stories from people on the forum getting shitty machine work done. I may just have to build it myself...its still in the air
stinger12 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starts but will not run Red90Vette C4 Corvette 19 08-04-2007 02:07 PM
Tpi------help! Art Jett C3 Corvette 10 06-13-2007 12:41 PM
2008 Corvette PRESS RELEASE CorvetteConti C6 Corvette 17 04-28-2007 05:27 PM
nitrous is cool robconner C3 Corvette 38 02-15-2006 08:48 AM
TC install! Help! davevette C5 Corvette - Technical | Performance | Aftermarket 10 02-16-2005 02:32 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved