Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Top Speed is talking about the debut. UPDATE - Will be in Tustin, Ca.

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  1963SS 
#1 ·
Top speed,
"Chevy isn't only live streaming the debut. No; it's going all out. The company is flying journalists in from all over the country to attend the live debut. Chances are, we won't get to drive it, but Chevy isn't going to spend all that much money not to have a great show. In fact, we expect the C8's debut to be the hottest show of the year. We'll be there to experience it all, and we can't wait to tell you about it. So on July 18th, be sure to watch the live stream of the debut..."
So what does this tell us? IMO "Top Speed" is not exactly one of the top 10 automotive 'journals.' If the description above is right, a LOT of journalists are being flown in. If this is going to be a "great show" AND they are not going to get to drive the C8?

Time to re-think this debut. If this is about a 'Big Show' like we've seen in the past for the Ford GT and other debuts, and it's not just a Pebble Beach-type reveal. Odd that GM would have chosen OC for this if there will be nothing for the locals to see. The only place in OC for a big Production Show with seating for a couple of hundred is probably one of the floors of the Anaheim Convention Center. We do have a bunch of large hotels with large Ball Rooms that could be used depending upon the "show part" of the program. We also have some large buildings at the OC Fairgrounds, but that's a fair type environment. Maybe debut a Silverado there, but probably not a new Gen Vette. Obviously, I've not seen every facility possible in OC.

Looks like the beach debut I expected is out …. unless they use the beach for a closed circuit remote sight, I don't see much going on there. But who knows, maybe they have designed a dramatic outdoor show - no fake fog/smoke.

Right now, I'm at a loss. Why OC? Where in OC? Looking like I will be just a few miles from it, but be watching a live stream too.

See less See more
Reactions: stinger430
#3 ·
First - I really don't know with any certainty WHERE to sneak in. Second - If it IS the Anaheim Convention Center, their security is MUCH greater than … say your local movie theater. It is also quite large with multiple floors and rooms. BTW, I checked their Calendar of events and they have two different events on 7/18: A Starpower talent competition and a YMCA "General Assembly." Each event is advertised by its respective organization and fits the ACC event schedule.

#7 ·
Tustin is not a big city and VERY CLOSE to my home. Tustin is, again, not as picturesque as many other parts of OC but a nice mixture of old and newer construction. Three possibilities come to mind quickly.

1) Marconi Automotive Museum. Only about 50 cars. Very unimpressive from the outside, but very nice inside. Pretty small but large enough that some medium sized events are held there. My SWAG: 5% chance it is there.

2) Tustin Ranch Golf Club. I've never played there (Golf hates me) but it's newer and from the pics is picturesque and well maintained. Mountains as a backdrop. Obviously, it is securable for an event such as this. My SWAG 15% chance it is there.

3) The Tustin Airship hangers. Built in WWII to house two blimps in two separate buildings, these buildings have been used for many movies, TV shows and Commercials...not to mention many car shows (I've been to several there over the years). Several Silverado commercials have been filmed inside the hangers - easy to spot once you've been inside the HUGE Wooden structures (continually being serviced by guys tightening bolts and fittings on thousands of railroad tie sized beams. So GM has experience with the people and the facility. The giant CEMENT doors can be closed completely or wide open. Closed there would be no problem creating a VERY TALL show with smoke and mirrors or whatever dynamics they might have designed. An open door hanger would allow starting multiple engines without any concerns for fumes, but the acoustics would be loud. Security is a snap because it is a former US Marine Core facility. I'll try to post pics. My SWAG: 80% chance it is here.

The 3 buildings at the lower left are a huge Target, a Lowes and the biggest Costco in OC. - for size comparisons:

Reactions: HN376RAR
#8 ·
I admit the Hangers are cool, but I was hoping the venue would be more open like this cliff side park above the Pacific in Laguna. MUCH easier to gain access or get pics from somewhere nearby.

#10 ·
As you can see from the interior pic above, the USMC Blimp hangars are huge and nearly empty inside - there is a row of admin offices along the bottom of one side of each hangar. So if a smoke and mirrors "great show" is on the agenda, I would think that there will have to be some significant assembly/construction taking place either now or in the near future.

Having had some personal experience with trade shows, I know that a lot of the stuff needed (all?) can already exist disassembled in shipping crates in a GM warehouse somewhere. But that stuff still must be removed from the crates and assembled. We've all been to car shows and have seen the slick platforms and turntables used at these events.

The Hangars are about 15 minutes from my house. I plan to take two or three trips over there between now and Debut day, looking for anything/any activity that might confirm the Hangars as the Debut location. I'll keep you posted.

#11 ·
NOW on eBay for two tickets for the C8 Debut:

General Motors has very graciously provided the National Corvette Museum with tickets to the Next Generation Corvette Reveal activities on July 18 & 19 in Orange County, California.

The official 'C8' reveal will be held on the evening of Thursday, July 18. The following day, GM will host a reveal 'expo', giving participants the chance to see the car up close, network and talk to key people on their team, browse additional displays and more.

This auction is for two (2) tickets (two people) to the event and includes overnight accommodations for July 18 & 19, access to both days of reveal festivities, a group lunch and tour of an area auto museum on the morning of Friday, July 19, bus transportation to and from both days of activities, and as a special gift from the Museum, an event polo only available to those on this trip.

Transportation to Orange County, CA is ON YOUR OWN and not included in this package.

Proceeds benefit the National Corvette Museum, a 501c3 nonprofit foundation and a portion of this auction will be recognized as a tax deductible donation to the museum. (Amount to be determined based on final amount of the auction).
Current bidding has reached $6,100 (NO, not mine). The auction ends Thursday, 6/27/2019, 8:27AM

Reactions: HN376RAR
#13 ·
The ebay bidding is over and the C8 Debut tickets sold for $15,200. I heard someone say The Torch had the winning bid, but that is not confirmed.

:laughing:

#15 ·
Woodstock was on a farm with a portable chain-link fence around it, not a on a Marine Base and hosted by a $140Billion Corporation.

#16 ·
From GM Authority:
Included with the two tickets are overnight lodging for the night of July 18, access to both days of the reveal, planned festivities, a group lunch, and a tour of a local automotive museum. Bus transportation will also be included for both days to the reveal site and the winning bidder will look the part with the exclusive Corvette reveal polo given to attendees. The only catch is that winning bidder must provide their own transportation to Orange County, California – whether that be airfare, train tickets, or a rental car.
Local museum tour included. The Petersen Museum is up in LA and is a GREAT museum, but definitely NOT LOCAL. So I'd guess the tour will be of the Marconi Automotive Museum that is not far from the Tustin Airship Hangars - still my bet for the debut.

#21 ·
Bitter irony; I live 10 minutes from the debut and you live an entire country away, but YOU will see the C8 in person before me. Good For You! Oh well. Such is life. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.