Top Speed is talking about the debut. UPDATE - Will be in Tustin, Ca. - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Top Speed is talking about the debut. UPDATE - Will be in Tustin, Ca.

Top speed,
Quote:
"Chevy isn't only live streaming the debut. No; it's going all out. The company is flying journalists in from all over the country to attend the live debut. Chances are, we won't get to drive it, but Chevy isn't going to spend all that much money not to have a great show. In fact, we expect the C8's debut to be the hottest show of the year. We'll be there to experience it all, and we can't wait to tell you about it. So on July 18th, be sure to watch the live stream of the debut..."
So what does this tell us? IMO "Top Speed" is not exactly one of the top 10 automotive 'journals.' If the description above is right, a LOT of journalists are being flown in. If this is going to be a "great show" AND they are not going to get to drive the C8?

Time to re-think this debut. If this is about a 'Big Show' like we've seen in the past for the Ford GT and other debuts, and it's not just a Pebble Beach-type reveal. Odd that GM would have chosen OC for this if there will be nothing for the locals to see. The only place in OC for a big Production Show with seating for a couple of hundred is probably one of the floors of the Anaheim Convention Center. We do have a bunch of large hotels with large Ball Rooms that could be used depending upon the "show part" of the program. We also have some large buildings at the OC Fairgrounds, but that's a fair type environment. Maybe debut a Silverado there, but probably not a new Gen Vette. Obviously, I've not seen every facility possible in OC.

Looks like the beach debut I expected is out Ö. unless they use the beach for a closed circuit remote sight, I don't see much going on there. But who knows, maybe they have designed a dramatic outdoor show - no fake fog/smoke.

Right now, I'm at a loss. Why OC? Where in OC? Looking like I will be just a few miles from it, but be watching a live stream too.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (06-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

Quote:
Looking like I will be just a few miles from it, but be watching a live stream too.
If I were to be that close I'd have to try to sneak in. Print a fake badge on the internet and go for it. Any badge should work.
1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If smoking marijuana causes short term memory loss

What does smoking marijuana do?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
If I were to be that close I'd have to try to sneak in. Print a fake badge on the internet and go for it. Any badge should work.
First - I really don't know with any certainty WHERE to sneak in. Second - If it IS the Anaheim Convention Center, their security is MUCH greater than Ö say your local movie theater. It is also quite large with multiple floors and rooms. BTW, I checked their Calendar of events and they have two different events on 7/18: A Starpower talent competition and a YMCA "General Assembly." Each event is advertised by its respective organization and fits the ACC event schedule.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

It's going to be in the parking lot of the baseball stadium.... Section 27 Row B
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Ain't THAT the mofo truth
Old 06-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
It's going to be in the parking lot of the baseball stadium.... Section 27 Row B
Angels have a game that day.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
mongo
DC Crew

Member #4304

My Corvette(s)
2006 C6, Mont Red/Titanium, F55, MN6, NAV

Just read it will be in Tustin, CA. Donít know the venue.
mongo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #7
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Just read it will be in Tustin, CA. Donít know the venue.
Tustin is not a big city and VERY CLOSE to my home. Tustin is, again, not as picturesque as many other parts of OC but a nice mixture of old and newer construction. Three possibilities come to mind quickly.

1) Marconi Automotive Museum. Only about 50 cars. Very unimpressive from the outside, but very nice inside. Pretty small but large enough that some medium sized events are held there. My SWAG: 5% chance it is there.

2) Tustin Ranch Golf Club. I've never played there (Golf hates me) but it's newer and from the pics is picturesque and well maintained. Mountains as a backdrop. Obviously, it is securable for an event such as this. My SWAG 15% chance it is there.

3) The Tustin Airship hangers. Built in WWII to house two blimps in two separate buildings, these buildings have been used for many movies, TV shows and Commercials...not to mention many car shows (I've been to several there over the years). Several Silverado commercials have been filmed inside the hangers - easy to spot once you've been inside the HUGE Wooden structures (continually being serviced by guys tightening bolts and fittings on thousands of railroad tie sized beams. So GM has experience with the people and the facility. The giant CEMENT doors can be closed completely or wide open. Closed there would be no problem creating a VERY TALL show with smoke and mirrors or whatever dynamics they might have designed. An open door hanger would allow starting multiple engines without any concerns for fumes, but the acoustics would be loud. Security is a snap because it is a former US Marine Core facility. I'll try to post pics. My SWAG: 80% chance it is here.

The 3 buildings at the lower left are a huge Target, a Lowes and the biggest Costco in OC. - for size comparisons:

HN376RAR (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:31 AM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

I admit the Hangers are cool, but I was hoping the venue would be more open like this cliff side park above the Pacific in Laguna. MUCH easier to gain access or get pics from somewhere nearby.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Angels have a game that day.
In that case....centerfield during the 7th inning stretch
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Ain't THAT the mofo truth
The Following User Says Thank You to Poncherello For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

As you can see from the interior pic above, the USMC Blimp hangars are huge and nearly empty inside - there is a row of admin offices along the bottom of one side of each hangar. So if a smoke and mirrors "great show" is on the agenda, I would think that there will have to be some significant assembly/construction taking place either now or in the near future.

Having had some personal experience with trade shows, I know that a lot of the stuff needed (all?) can already exist disassembled in shipping crates in a GM warehouse somewhere. But that stuff still must be removed from the crates and assembled. We've all been to car shows and have seen the slick platforms and turntables used at these events.

The Hangars are about 15 minutes from my house. I plan to take two or three trips over there between now and Debut day, looking for anything/any activity that might confirm the Hangars as the Debut location. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

NOW on eBay for two tickets for the C8 Debut:

Quote:
General Motors has very graciously provided the National Corvette Museum with tickets to the Next Generation Corvette Reveal activities on July 18 & 19 in Orange County, California.

The official 'C8' reveal will be held on the evening of Thursday, July 18. The following day, GM will host a reveal 'expo', giving participants the chance to see the car up close, network and talk to key people on their team, browse additional displays and more.

This auction is for two (2) tickets (two people) to the event and includes overnight accommodations for July 18 & 19, access to both days of reveal festivities, a group lunch and tour of an area auto museum on the morning of Friday, July 19, bus transportation to and from both days of activities, and as a special gift from the Museum, an event polo only available to those on this trip.

Transportation to Orange County, CA is ON YOUR OWN and not included in this package.

Proceeds benefit the National Corvette Museum, a 501c3 nonprofit foundation and a portion of this auction will be recognized as a tax deductible donation to the museum. (Amount to be determined based on final amount of the auction).
Current bidding has reached $6,100 (NO, not mine). The auction ends Thursday, 6/27/2019, 8:27AM
HN376RAR (06-23-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Now at $7,400 on eBay
Old 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

The ebay bidding is over and the C8 Debut tickets sold for $15,200. I heard someone say The Torch had the winning bid, but that is not confirmed.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
Night Stalker
DC Crew

Member #170809

My Corvette(s)
93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd

Woodstock was crashed !
Night Stalker is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Currently 93 Ruby 40th Aniv Drop Top/6-Spd

previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90
Member #34506
Old 06-29-2019, 12:47 AM   #15
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
Woodstock was crashed !
Woodstock was on a farm with a portable chain-link fence around it, not a on a Marine Base and hosted by a $140Billion Corporation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in