My Experience Dealing with Mike Dyer (tracdogg2)Dealing - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
OldCarBum
DC Crew

Member #181270

My Corvette(s)
1973 Big Block Coupe

My Experience Dealing with Mike Dyer (tracdogg2)

I am regretfully posting this thread and only doing so to help prevent anyone else to loose as I have.
As many of you know I am collecting all the parts and components necessary before I begin the body off resto/mod of my 73 Corvette BB Coupe.
I have been collecting the parts for a little over three years and at this point have about 90% of everything I need.
This part of my story began in January of 2019.
With all my suspension, brakes, steering, under the hood components, transmission and many other items stored on my shelves, it was time to research and find the right person to build the rear differential.
I narrowed my search down to three people as they were all highly recommended and were the three top quality differential builders (in my opinion).
After talking with the three builders I picked Mike Dyer because he was recommended by several people who raced and abused their equipment on the track.
I won't be tracking my Corvette, but I will be putting a high amount of torque and horsepower to the rear wheels and I wanted a differential that would hold together for years.
I talked with Mike Dyer several times between January and March planning what I needed and how he would build my HD 10 bolt differential.
Mike asked for $1,900.00 upfront to purchase parts, told me he would complete the differential in 6 weeks and have it shipped to my address.
About four weeks into the build, I called Mike and we talked for about an hour on the telephone and we agreed that Mike would supply the half shafts from Tom's, 31 spline outer axles, parking brake assembly, and set up my new Van Steel 2" offset trailing arms for my coil over suspension.
I immediately shipped Mike, per his request, my new trailing arms and an additional $2,000.00 to cover the remainder of the parts and a portion for the labor.
I was very happy with how things were going.
About four weeks later, I called Mike who told me there was a problem with the outer axles he received from Tom's and he was waiting for Tom's vendor to correct the problem, but he would rather wait for the better axles than use something lower quality.
Several weeks passed and I again called Mike who did not answer my call and his voice mail was full, so I could not leave him a message.
I tried to contact Mike several times and it was the same thing, until one night he did answer his phone, late at night, Texas time.
Mike told me that that during a heavy storm the roof blew off his shop and the rain prevented him from doing any work until he could replace a portion of his roof.
I accepted this as fact and Mike told me he was ready for the final assembly of my differential and would be shipping it soon.
Weeks later I had not heard from Mike and called him, only to find his voice mail full.
Days went by and he finally answered his phone.
Mike told me that the rain flooded his shop and it took him days to clean out the mud, however he had the roof replaced and was in full production again.
Mike promised my differential would be shipped within two weeks.
Two weeks later I called Mike and his excuse was that he sliced his thumb in his lathe and it put him behind again, however my "differential was assembled" however he was still waiting for the outer axles which Tom's promised would be shipped any day.
Over the next several weeks I attempted to contact Mike on the telephone and through email.
His voice mail was always full and he never returned my emails.
About this time a very negative thread was posted about a 12 bolt differential Mike Dyer built on this forum. There was much discussion that the failure was due to Mikes poor workmanship, his failure to warranty his work and not communicating with the buyer.
Mike called me, told me that his work was top notch, and that it was the buyer who would not communicate with him and he would have warranted his work had he been given the chance.
Several weeks passed and I heard nothing from Mike.
When I finally contacted Mike he told me he had suffered a mild stroke, was in the hospital for a short time, was released, was taking medication for stomach pain and his blood pressure.
Mike said he was back in his shop working and felt he had recovered.
Mike told me that my differential was "completely assembled", he received the outer axles and he just wanted to repaint the half shafts because he was not happy with they way they looked from Tom's and he wanted them to be perfect.
Mike said he would ship my differential within the week.
Then nothing, no contact, no answers to my emails and his voice mail was full.
I sent Mike numerous emails telling him I wanted a full refund and the return of my new trailing arms.
Not one was answered, until finally this past week he answered his phone.
Mike told me that he was having problems with his medication and spent the past week in the hospital.
Mike said he had a friend "break him out of the hospital" stopped taking any medication and was back to work feeling great.
Mike told me he ditched checking out of the hospital to avoid payment and "they won't get a dime of my money".
I told Mike I wanted a full refund and the return of my trailing arms and nothing else.
Mike told me that he had all the parts, my "differential was on his bench and he was ready to start the assembly".
Mike said "he would have everything assembled by the end of the week", but he was now waiting for the parking break assemblies, which were on back order.
Mike told me he did not have any money to refund me, however he would ship me the parts he had and figure what I would owe him for his labor.
I said I wanted a refund, my trailing arms returned and asked him if he would email me any hospital documents he had to show he was in the hospital.
Mike asked me if I thought he was lying, said he did not have any documents to show he was in the hospital, stated "fuck you" and hung up the phone.
I have repeatedly asked Mike for a refund and have not received it.
Mike did return my trailing arms with a box of rusted old junk parts that he told me were new off the shelf parts he received from Tom's Differential.
I contacted Tom's and sent them photographs of the parts Mike sent me.
Tom's emailed me stating the parts I received were not new off their shelf parts and they sent photographs showing the condition of their parts on their stock shelves.
The bearings and races I received were not stamped with any manufactures name of part numbers and were identified by another forum member as cheap china junk, the u-joint boxes were filled with grit, the half shafts were nicked and marred and were not identified with any manufactures name or part numbers and the ARP wheel stud packages were marked for a Ford.
I returned the parts Mike sent for an additional cost to me of $90.00 shipping.
I will be taking legal action against Mike Dyer in the hope to recover my $3,900.00, the repair of my trailing arms, the additional shipping costs and all legal fees.
I hope this thread will prevent others from loosing like I did.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 12-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.
OldCarBum is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
OldCarBum
DC Crew

Member #181270

My Corvette(s)
1973 Big Block Coupe

These are the parts I received from Mike Dyer that were supposed to be new off the shelf parts from Tom's Differentials.
Due to the way my trailing arms were packaged in the shipping boxes, they were damaged during shipment and while under Mike's care. They will need to be repaired and powder coated at my cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0608_592bd7c08ad5b516fd9df69ac2a2e68ec31851a6.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	24158   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0619_a47323fab4fee0f095928206ff06f4aa2280105c.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24160   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0633_617a11bb8ee290e105dc01b793294b99835820fb.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	24162   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0653_0a36b5e716313896b0fa077cb8f6454a901ca9a8.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	24164   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0659_952103828b7b77cc4b90ed29cba29b8c932912a4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	24166  

Last edited by OldCarBum; 12-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
OldCarBum
DC Crew

Member #181270

My Corvette(s)
1973 Big Block Coupe

More Photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0662_2a9f2d135b6f378b78c819809b11cd08482cd2cb.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	24178   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0668_250780f016918bca4c2d76abf52f298ce032cde1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	24180   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0670_261f092eb9a0fb155e20f1816d88cce85e34894e.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	24182   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0700_547edc3096a4d475f0b86e2cd66627a2f05a02a4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	24184   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0701_c3dfbb5d02040297c72ed982e305fdd7f13ba68c.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	24186  

Old 12-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
OldCarBum
DC Crew

Member #181270

My Corvette(s)
1973 Big Block Coupe

More Photos

Name:	img_0702_85c8673c0335f4671d6253c5c821d3d9d8878dd7.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	24188

Name:	img_0703_2f6836ed4bd4c71ac70d049b3d2d064fa92d43e6.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	24190
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in