body mount replacement - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

I always wear safety glasses for every power tool that I use. I won't even make a cut with a circular saw on a piece of 2x4 without putting them on. I've seen too many accidents and it isn't worth the risk not to use them.
teamo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

before..

Used bolts for the cage nuts, had the metal pieces powder coated

Finished
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #18
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Powder coating looks good. I got one of the #3 bolts out without cutting. I started to grind off the head of the #4 bolt but the die grinder bits were crap quality. I'll have to go out and look around tomorrow for some metal grinding bits locally or I will have to find some online.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Couldn't find any die grinder bits locally. I used a dremel tool with a metal cutting wheel. Not the best tool for the job but it is small enough to get into the opening of the lower kick panel. I spent about an hour working on one of the #2 bolt heads. I went through about 4 discs and I have it mostly ground down. The #4's in the rear should be easier to grind and I might be able to use a full sized metal cut off wheel in my Roto Zip.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Progress has been slow but I am getting there. I got all of the bolt heads ground off on one side of the car and all of the mounts on the other side loose. Bought a couple of die grinder bits at Grainger. Some of the posts that I have seen have pictures of the rear bumper supports. Mine look different than the pictures. I removed 8 bolts and nuts from the frame extensions. There are 8 more that thread into the heavy steel inside part of the bumper but I removed the bolts that connect the short round frame extensions. Hope this is enough to release the rear bumper. There doesn't seem to be anything else in the way from what I can tell. I also loosened the steering coupler from the steering box. I sprayed the bolts for the steering box to get ready to remove them from the frame. After that I think the only thing left is the front bumper which I am still not sure of. Some posts that I have read say to remove the frame extensiions only and some look like you have to disassemble the whole front bumper cover and radiator support. I am trying to figure it out by looking at it but it is confusing. The A.I.M. doesn't help too much with what I have to remove.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

Take lots of pics to use as a reference if it helps. I have a file for each area to refer back to. Keep at it man!
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #22
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to go out and get some pictures of the rear bumper supports in the morning. I did buy some labeling tags at Staples and I have been putting parts into zip lock bags with tags. I did make the mistake of pulling off the brake proportioning valve today without labeling where the lines went to. Luckily there are diagrams in all of the catalogs that sell the parts but I do have to be more careful. Every time I get under the car I find more Bubba work from the past. I found a steel plate that the steering column goes through that looks like it should be attached to the firewall but it is just floating. It has a cable that goes to the transmission shift linkage and it (the cable) is not connected to anything underneath. Looks like it might be the shift lockout cable? I will have to find it in the A.I.M.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #23
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Here is the rear bumper frame extensions. There are 8 bolts on each side (4 on the bumper end and 4 on the frame end). I removed the bolts on the frame side. Hope this is enough to release it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	9169  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Got the steering box unbolted from the frame and disconnected the rag joint. Next step the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	9177  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)
1977 LS1/4L60E auto 1969 5 speed 74 no speed

Ah , i reckon i can picture were your going with your plan now , looks like your going to leave the bumper covers on and undo the steel bumpers and leave them inside those covers while you lift the body ? Are the covers blended in with the body ? as in all smoothed over at the joins ?

Just be aware those steel units are HEAVY ,thats a lot of weight to lift with the fibreglass body ,especially the nose . Never seen anybody do it that way .

But taking the covers off isnt that bad , i did my 77 and pretty much broke off every bolt with my socket spanner ,just made it quicker to get them off .

The back bumper is attached to the frame with a hydraulic shock absorber thingy , it goes back into the frame a fair way so your going to have to get the bolts at the bumper off if you want it to go straight up. i think theres a bolt holding the shock along the frame as well
bazza is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Ah , i reckon i can picture were your going with your plan now , looks like your going to leave the bumper covers on and undo the steel bumpers and leave them inside those covers while you lift the body ? Are the covers blended in with the body ? as in all smoothed over at the joins ?

No the covers are not blended in. I was planning on trying to do it with the covers on if possible but I don't want to damage anything so if need be I will remove what I have to.

The back bumper is attached to the frame with a hydraulic shock absorber thingy , it goes back into the frame a fair way so your going to have to get the bolts at the bumper off if you want it to go straight up. i think theres a bolt holding the shock along the frame as well

Ahhh that's what I needed to know. I didn't know that the bumper shocks went into the frame so it looks like I will have to remove the other 8 bolts that go to the back bumper. I do have a piece of wood and a jack stand uderneath the back bumper so that I can keep it from sagging. My plan was to lift the front the same way and use jack stands to keep the nose from sagging. While I was under the front I noticed a whole bunch of Bubbarization. From what I can tell it looks like there should be some lower spoiler(s) under the front bumper that are no longer there. Also there are some support brackets that are listed in the parts catalogs but they don't seem to sell them anymore. I have to research a little more to make sure I am looking at the correct pictures of the parts. The A.I.M. that I have is good but it is tough for me to figure out all of the stuff from the exploded parts diagrams.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #27
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)
1977 LS1/4L60E auto 1969 5 speed 74 no speed

75 had a one piece black plastic spoiler that bolted along the back edge of the valance panel with a larger section in the middle that went up to the bottom of the radiator. Or it could have had a pace car type spoiler put on it .

With that back steel bumper , the four bolts go into a heavy threaded metal plate thats only "floating" there. If you have a look you will see two small pins coming through the bumper with a washer clipped onto them . They are the only thing holding that plate in line . If you have to use real force to get those bolts out i would clean up each bolt thread and put them back in tight until you get them all done . If it twists off you have to open the bumper to get it out .
bazza is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #28
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Removed the other 8 bolts on the bumper side of the frame shocks. One of the pins coming from the steel plate inside of the bumper had a spring nut on it. The other one was just floating so I put a pair of vise grips on it to hold it from slipping through the hole. Started soaking the front bumper bolts. Going to tackle that starting this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-06-04.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	9257  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Trying to remove the front bumper cover but it isn't going too good. I am loosening up lots of bolts but nothing seems to be getting loose. I removed the lower valance panel first and broke off about 4 of the bolts. Doesn't look too bad because it looks like I can just drill out the rivets that hold the steel reinforcements to the fender and replace them. As far as the front cover itself it looks like there is a bunch of screws coming through from under the cover so that is what is giving me trouble. The parts diagrams show what I think is reinforcements like those found on the rear bumper with nuts holding the cover on but I don't seem to be able to feel the nuts on there. They are either rusted into something that is no longer resembling a nut or there was some more mickey mouse work by a prior owner. Also getting access to those nuts up near the top isn't going to be too easy.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
Metalkid
DC Crew

Member #92641

My Corvette(s)
1978 Silver Anniversary Model #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
Trying to remove the front bumper cover but it isn't going too good. I am loosening up lots of bolts but nothing seems to be getting loose. I removed the lower valance panel first and broke off about 4 of the bolts. Doesn't look too bad because it looks like I can just drill out the rivets that hold the steel reinforcements to the fender and replace them. As far as the front cover itself it looks like there is a bunch of screws coming through from under the cover so that is what is giving me trouble. The parts diagrams show what I think is reinforcements like those found on the rear bumper with nuts holding the cover on but I don't seem to be able to feel the nuts on there. They are either rusted into something that is no longer resembling a nut or there was some more mickey mouse work by a prior owner. Also getting access to those nuts up near the top isn't going to be too easy.
Easier access to the bumper cover if you remove the headlight assys. first.
Metalkid is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in