body mount replacement - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #31
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Okay the bumper cover nuts look better than I thought. I was able to access a couple of them by just raising up the headlights about half way and getting a small socket in there. I'll have to check the A.I.M. and see how many of them there are. There is one that looks like it is going to give me some trouble. Looks like a fiberglass repair was done around the right side marker lights and one of the bolt heads may be buried behind the repair. Maybe a very thin cut off wheel on a dremel tool will do it if I can sneak the tool in there.
teamo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #32
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Here are a few pictures of the bumper cover that I finished removing last night. The pictures are a little dark so it might be hard to make out. It was tough getting up behind the cover and finding all of the small nuts that hold it on. I had to use several sockets and also a ratchet u joint to get to a few. I broke a few of them but I knew that would happen with all of the rust. Going to fix everything the right way when I put it all back together. There was some major Bubba work that I found. Front grilles and parking lamp on one side were bolted on with what looks like deck screws. What else do I have to remove to start the body lift. The thread that is in the tech section shows a lot of the steps but that is for an earlier car with steel bumpers. So far I have removed the fiberglass cover in the front and the two frame extensions that bolt to either side. Is that All I need to remover?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	9401  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #33
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Here is a picture of the frame horn extension. There is one on each side. I disconnected four bolts from the bottom of the vacuum reservoir to the radiator core support. Hard for me to figure out what might be connected from the body to the frame on the front because there are so many parts to the front bumper. Is there anything that I am missing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	9473  

Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #34
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

All you're missing is several swear words and cold beer. Good to go!
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #35
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Yeah the swear words have already been coming pretty good with all of the rusted fasteners and the slipped wrenches. Plenty of groans from back and neck aches too. Thanks for the help. I am going to get this lift going in a few days when I have some spare time. I'll post back with pictures when I get it started.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #36
lsejlowe
DC Pit Crew

Member #6680

My Corvette(s)
black '69 350/350 4spd

I would be of more help with the bumper attachments if you were working on an earlier C3, but I'm not as familiar with the plastic bumper cars...
lsejlowe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Optimists think the glass is half full.
Pessimists think the glass is half empty.
Engineers realize it's twice as big as it needs to be.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #37
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

I started the body lift today. It lifted no problem. There was some slight groaning sounds as it released but no major cracking sounds or anything like that. Had to drop it back down and take apart the parking brake cable. I thought that there would be enough slack but no go. I cut a piece of 2x8 wood and used that to support the rocker channel and then I used a bottle jack to lift the wood. The only problem is that I have to figure out what to use to keep the body supported so that I can remove the 2x8 to get access to the frame from the side of the car instead of trying to work underneath. I was going to slide some short 4x4's in between the frame and the body but I can't fit them in from underneath. I don't want to go too high with the body because the mounts on the other side are loose and not yet removed. Any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #38
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

So far I haven't seen a shim anywhere on the body mounts. The #4 on the right side has none and the #1 on the same side also doesn't look like it has any. As soon as I get access to the #2 and #3 I'll see if there are any shims at all. I tend to believe that this things has been off the frame in the past and the dimwit who did the work figured that a shim was a waste of time or something. How do I know how many shims to use if there are none to replicate?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #39
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
So far I haven't seen a shim anywhere on the body mounts. The #4 on the right side has none and the #1 on the same side also doesn't look like it has any. As soon as I get access to the #2 and #3 I'll see if there are any shims at all. I tend to believe that this things has been off the frame in the past and the dimwit who did the work figured that a shim was a waste of time or something. How do I know how many shims to use if there are none to replicate?
I am no expert by no means. I only did my own frame off on my '74. I had no rust on the frame that had to be fixed, but both rear mounts on the body had to be replaced. On my car some of the shims had turned almost to dust so I almost had to start from scratch like you are.

The shims are for setting up the gaps between the doors and rear quarter panels, the doors and front fenders, and hood gap at winsheild hood surround.

Set your body down and look at your gaps

REAR DOOR GAP:
If your rear door gap is tight at the top and big at the bottom, you need shims at the rear of your door (rear bird cage)

If your door gap is big at the top and tight at the bottom you need shims at the rear mount.

FRONT DOOR GAP:

If the gap is big at the top and tight at the bottom you need shim the mount at the radiator core support
If the gap is tight at the top and big at the bottom then you need shims at the front birdcage mount (front door gap)

Now if you added shims at the front door gap you might have to add the same amount of shimes at the rear cage mount (rear door gap) and rear mount to keep the rear door gap even. This is wear you have to be patent and it will turn out.

Now all you have to do is repeat this on the other side. remember no 2 Corvettes are the same, so some mounts will need no shims and one might need 5, thats how mine was.

Hope this helps

Last edited by walleyfisher; 06-24-2014 at 12:46 PM.
walleyfisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to walleyfisher For This Useful Post:
77blue (05-23-2016), Pops71lives (11-13-2014), spoonhead76 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #40
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Good info. I still have to order the body mount cushions and bolts. Looks like it will take some doing to get it just right.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #41
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Making some good progress these past few weeks with the good weather that we have been having. I have been using the por 15 on the frame on one side that is raised up and also the cross members. I took all of the heavy rust off of the gas tank protector shell and gave it two coats of por 15 today. Time to start putting in the fuel line and the fuel return line. After that I can put on the body mount cushions and drop the body down. After that it is on to other side for more cleaning and painting fame rails, installing the new brake lines, and installing the fuel vapor return lineAttachment 11994. Winter is on the way so I am going to have to take some time to insulate the garage so that I can keep working right through until spring comes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	12002  
Old 11-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #42
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)
1977 LS1/4L60E auto 1969 5 speed 74 no speed

Sounds and looks real good Teamo, dont worry too much on the shims as Walley fishers post is good info to follow ,i did the same with mine(77) as walley did with his .

You,ll be surprised just how easy it is
bazza is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #43
binx
DC Crew

Member #127929

My Corvette(s)
1973 Stingray

I don't post very often but in this case I need to thank you all for all of the information you've provided in this thread.

I'm going to be replacing mounts in the near future myself and this thread is just full of useful info to get the job done correctly.

Thanks to teamo for starting this thread and props to everyone else who contributed.
binx is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #44
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

Following closely as well. Thanks walley, I copied and pasted the shim info. Keep us posted teamo and pics please! I hope to have the body back on the frame in the next week or so. Will have photos on my build thread.
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #45
teamo
DC Crew

Member #135985

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

I am back at it now that the weather is good. I haven't done any work since the beginning of winter when it got too cold. I had planned on insulating the garage and continuing my work on the car through the winter but my Brother who gave me this car got very sick. We lost him at the end of December and I wasn't sure I would ever feel like working on it again. I was motivated by sharing my progress with him and I would send him updated pictures every time I repaired something or got a new part. Well I am going to carry on because he gave me the car to restore and enjoy I know he would not want me to quit. So I started in this week and picked up where I left off. The body is still up on the right side and I just finished snaking in the new fuel lines on that side. It was tough to fish them up over the rear kick up area but I got it done. They are all clipped in with new clips and bolts. I had to remove the transmission cross member to feed the lines over the top of it. Can't see any other way to get them through with the factory reproduced bends in the lines. The manual trans guys don't have the luxury of removing the cross member so that is a challenge that I don't have to face. last fall I painted the right half of the frame with por 15. The trans cross member was very greasy and I thought that I had cleaned it well enough but I guess not. The por came right off so I am going to give it a good cleaning while it is out of the car and try again. I found a few of the clips that hold the positive battery cable inside of the trans tunnel had lost their nuts. Does anyone know what size these nuts are? I tried a 1/4 20 but it didn't fit. Next step is to put the new body mount cushions in on the right side and lower the body down. After that I will jack up the left side and remove the brake/vapor lines and paint the frame on that side. Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	14737
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in