F1 Williams driver Alexander Wurz retires from F1 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
'77Babe

Member #64458

F1 Williams driver Alexander Wurz retires from F1

08 Oct 2007
Wurz announces retirement from Formula One competition
Williams driver Alexander Wurz has confirmed that he is to retire from Formula One racing with immediate effect. The team will announce his replacement for the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix on Tuesday.

Wurz made his Formula One debut in 1997 with Benetton in Canada, since which time he has driven for McLaren and most recently Williams, as test driver in 2006 before taking on a race seat for the 2007 season.

“I would today like to announce my retirement from active racing in Formula One,” said the 33-year-old Austrian, who has recently become a father for the third time. “I would like to thank my family and fans, everyone at AT&T Williams and my previous teams, as well as the media, for all of their support during my Formula One racing career.”

In ten seasons, Wurz has made 69 Grand Prix starts, with his most recent visit to the podium coming earlier this year in Canada. He has scored 13 points in 2007, but has struggled to match team mate Nico Rosberg, particularly in qualifying.

“In such a hard fought environment as Formula One, I have always maintained that if you have a moment’s doubt about what you are doing, then it is time to stop,” continued Wurz. “Privately I began to have these thoughts earlier this year and so have decided that now is the time to make my announcement.

“Racing this season has been a real pleasure, especially securing the podium in Canada which was pretty sweet along with a number of other strong races, but now it is time to call it a day. I’d like to thank the team for accepting my decision and I wish them all the best for the last race of the year.”

He concluded: “I look forward to my future and perhaps the opportunity to pass on my knowledge and skills in Formula One and I have some discussions underway. I may also race again, perhaps in Le Mans or other categories and certainly some of my time will now be committed to the very important subject of road safety.”

In response to Wurz’s announcement, team principal, Frank Williams said: “Alex has made an invaluable contribution to the team for the past two years, first as one of the best test and development drivers the team has ever worked with, and more recently as a race driver.

“This season Alex has had some very strong drives in difficult circumstances and we would like to thank him for all he has contributed. Alex is well known, immensely popular and widely regarded as one of Formula One’s gentlemen. I am sure I speak for everyone in the paddock when I wish Alex and his family the very best for the future.”
'77Babe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
'77Babe

Member #64458

At least finish the season with only 1 race to go...

Seems odd to me.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Z0607
Account Disabled.

Member #64823

Quote:
Originally Posted by '77Babe View Post

Seems odd to me.
I agree. Especially since he seems to be well liked.
Z0607 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
93Polo

Member #64269

Quote:
Originally Posted by '77Babe View Post

Seems odd to me.
It will be interesting to see who replaces him. It maybe a good idea to get a new driver in when the stakes are not high.
93Polo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
'77Babe

Member #64458

Nakajima to race for Williams in BrazilWilliams’ tester Kazuki Nakajima will make his Formula One race debut at the Brazilian Grand Prix next weekend, the British team has confirmed. Nakajima will step into the seat left vacant by Alexander Wurz, who announced his retirement on Monday.

The 22 year-old Japanese driver, who was named GP2 rookie of the year this season, has enjoyed a testing role with Williams since November 2006. He has covered over 7,000 kilometres in the FW29 and has already represented the team at five Grands Prix as a Friday driver.

“I am very grateful to the team who have given me this opportunity,” said Nakajima. “I hope I now know the car very well and thankfully have done some Friday driving as recently as Shanghai. This is a chance I intend to grab with both hands and repay the faith the team are showing in me with a strong performance.”

The Williams team stressed that the reason behind the opportunity was to build and develop Nakajima’s experience in the car, rather than to evaluate him for a race seat for 2008.

“You cannot assess a driver’s capability on the basis of one race but this is an ideal opportunity to develop Kazuki’s experience,” explained team principal Frank Williams. “I am confident he will approach the race in a very workmanlike and focused way.”

Nakajima, who is the son of Satoru Nakajima, who raced for Lotus and Tyrrell in the mid 1980’s and early ‘90’s, last drove the FW29 during Friday practice at last weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
loiq

Member #64951

Didn't even notice he was back.
loiq is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in