Tuning, any real good OBDI guys here? - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #46
MSEVEN
DC Crew

Member #76284

My Corvette(s)
90 coupe, 396 ci. all mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
So what do you use for MAP input?
As for C/L, 128 has no relationship to stoich. The 128BLM = 14.7 is a misconception. It works out that way based on the O2 sensor swing points. On a modded motor, the ECM will continue to adjust for 128 UNLESS you change the O2 sensor swing points. This is a bigger issue at lower rpm than
higher.
That is correct, that is a GM number. That is why I said what I did about 128 blm. It only means at that point, wherever the afr is, there be little comping (of course depending on what one is seeing w/the int.) Most seem to believe that a 128/128-126int. tune is 14.7. Yes idle should be the worst of all evils, particuallry if there is a lot of overlap (02 "seeing"02).
I also found that with my own different set-ups 14.7 isn't were the motor liked it. The swing points are reflected in both upper and lower thresholds in the 727ecm. (idle 02 and upper vs. MAP), and have direct relationship to the AFR. In a stock bin the crossover/swing points become raised in the upper kpa. Tunes I have seen from a couple known guys have put the 'crossover' the same as idle. There are a lot of ways to get there.......in those tunes, fuel was added in many other areas of the tune.
On mine I am using the moates piece that the LM (apad a/d),through the apu-1, as a permanent fixture in the car. I have the other typical stuff as well, lm w/rpm etc.etc.
MSEVEN is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #47
MSEVEN
DC Crew

Member #76284

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Hey man, nice to see you around. Glad there's a place left I can find you! Everyone, I'll be getting my Bluetooth Ostrich on Friday. Anyone see any difference between Tuner Pro RT and Tuner Cat? My tuner is using tuner cat, I've decided to take this on and learn as a group project with him. Does anyone feel I'm giving anything up, other than $70, going to Tuner Cat?
I see you're having fun too...lol
Tuner pro rt is great for tuning as you go, truthfully I think the
tuner cat might be better software though. The problem I see is that when comparing all of my software, they all shows slightly different numbers (TTS, Tuner proRT, , Tuner cat)....probelm is out of all of it you gotta believe in one of them. I got the dependability improved w/the tuner pro rt/apu-1 when I made a new cable (instead of the ribbon one supplied)from the ecm, chip socket booster etc.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #48
jsup
DC Crew

Member #64150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSEVEN View Post
I see you're having fun too...lol
Tuner pro rt is great for tuning as you go, truthfully I think the
tuner cat might be better software though. The problem I see is that when comparing all of my software, they all shows slightly different numbers (TTS, Tuner proRT, , Tuner cat)....probelm is out of all of it you gotta believe in one of them. I got the dependability improved w/the tuner pro rt/apu-1 when I made a new cable (instead of the ribbon one supplied)from the ecm, chip socket booster etc.
The Tuner Pro RT or Tuner Cat I would be using to write to the Ostrich which I will permanently install and run the car off of. The Bluetooth connectivity is really cool.

I'll use scanner pro or may have to get the TTS. Two different things.
jsup is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1990 Quasar Blue Metallic---Pat Musi 427, about 375 HP.....Dart SHP Block...Dart Pro 1 Platnium heads, Comp Cam Pro Mag rollers, 240/246 custom grind cam, Exotic Muscle custom long tubes, full 3" exhaust, Miniram, 42# Bosch injectors, etc....etc........

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #49
-=Jeff=-
El Teafive

Member #2

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 #1051

Quote:
The Tuner Pro RT or Tuner Cat I would be using to write to the Ostrich which I will permanently install and run the car off of. The Bluetooth connectivity is really cool.

I'll use scanner pro or may have to get the TTS. Two different things.
why TTS is Scanner Pro will work..

you have the ADX file for Scanner Pro?
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-=Jeff=-
1990 ZR-1 #1051
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Useful Links: C4 Tech info|C3 Tech Info|Adam's Polishes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #50
jsup
DC Crew

Member #64150

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
why TTS is Scanner Pro will work..

you have the ADX file for Scanner Pro?
I don't have the ADX. I am going to try it on Saturday. I never used it. How do I get the ADX?

this is all new to me Jeff, be kind. I'm learning.
1990 Quasar Blue Metallic---Pat Musi 427, about 375 HP.....Dart SHP Block...Dart Pro 1 Platnium heads, Comp Cam Pro Mag rollers, 240/246 custom grind cam, Exotic Muscle custom long tubes, full 3" exhaust, Miniram, 42# Bosch injectors, etc....etc........
Old 01-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #51
MSEVEN
DC Crew

Member #76284

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
The Tuner Pro RT or Tuner Cat I would be using to write to the Ostrich which I will permanently install and run the car off of. The Bluetooth connectivity is really cool. I'll use scanner pro or may have to get the TTS. Two different things.
I agree it is cool, I have had the blue tooth peice sitting here for awhile, never used it. I was getting a lot of cable interference, and too busy sorting that out while using RT.
About 2 years ago I installed a 6al, and that's when I started getiting all the problems.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
jsup
DC Crew

Member #64150

Quote:
I agree it is cool, I have had the blue tooth peice sitting here for awhile, never used it. I was getting a lot of cable interference, and too busy sorting that out while using RT.
About 2 years ago I installed a 6al, and that's when I started getiting all the problems.
I'm using 8D with the EV tables and pulse cap eliminator.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #53
-=Jeff=-
El Teafive

Member #2

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 #1051

Okay..

to change the BIN file in TunerPro you need the XDF. so for you you need a XDF corrected for your extended VE tables

for Scanner Pro you need an ADX file that will match to the ALDL Stream.

I assume you already have the OBD1 cable to connect for datalogging with Scanner Pro.

with our cars you need a few pieces, the Ostrich will hand the BIN file, but you need the OBD cable for the logging portion

Also I am not sure how well the Bluetooth will work with the Ostrich being under the hood..
-=Jeff=-
1990 ZR-1 #1051
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #54
jsup
DC Crew

Member #64150

Quote:
Okay..

to change the BIN file in TunerPro you need the XDF. so for you you need a XDF corrected for your extended VE tables

for Scanner Pro you need an ADX file that will match to the ALDL Stream.

I assume you already have the OBD1 cable to connect for datalogging with Scanner Pro.

with our cars you need a few pieces, the Ostrich will hand the BIN file, but you need the OBD cable for the logging portion

Also I am not sure how well the Bluetooth will work with the Ostrich being under the hood..
I have the cable from OBD1 to USB with a jumper set for a resistor. I understand I don't need the resistor on the 90 I am told.

I do need the logging portion. I know that. I didn't realize I needed an ADX.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #55
-=Jeff=-
El Teafive

Member #2

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 #1051

Quote:
I have the cable from OBD1 to USB with a jumper set for a resistor. I understand I don't need the resistor on the 90 I am told.

I do need the logging portion. I know that. I didn't realize I needed an ADX.
Get everything first, then we will know what you have and what you might need
-=Jeff=-
1990 ZR-1 #1051
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #56
MSEVEN
DC Crew

Member #76284

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I'm using 8D with the EV tables and pulse cap eliminator.
you can start w/pretty much any $d bin and add the hacks (p.cap etc)...piece of cake
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #57
jsup
DC Crew

Member #64150

Quote:
Get everything first, then we will know what you have and what you might need
Here's what I will have as of Saturday:
1. Bluetooth Ostrich and required cables, chips, and connectors.
2. Tuner Pro RT
3. Tuner Cat Haven't decided which to use
4. Bluetooth laptop, have it now
5. Scanner Pro
6. Cable from OBDI to USB with jumper for resistor

What else will I need? I can easily physically hood everything up.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #58
Dominic
DC Crew

Member #3761

My Corvette(s)
92 ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474

Quote:
That is correct, that is a GM number. That is why I said what I did about 128 blm. It only means at that point, wherever the afr is, there be little comping (of course depending on what one is seeing w/the int.) Most seem to believe that a 128/128-126int. tune is 14.7. Yes idle should be the worst of all evils, particuallry if there is a lot of overlap (02 "seeing"02).
I also found that with my own different set-ups 14.7 isn't were the motor liked it. The swing points are reflected in both upper and lower thresholds in the 727ecm. (idle 02 and upper vs. MAP), and have direct relationship to the AFR. In a stock bin the crossover/swing points become raised in the upper kpa. Tunes I have seen from a couple known guys have put the 'crossover' the same as idle. There are a lot of ways to get there.......in those tunes, fuel was added in many other areas of the tune.
On mine I am using the moates piece that the LM (apad a/d),through the apu-1, as a permanent fixture in the car. I have the other typical stuff as well, lm w/rpm etc.etc.
So, in a 727, are the O2 swing points based on kPa or airflow?
Are you saying that your WB O2 output is running through the Moates APU-1 or is it wired directly thru the ECM? I'm still a bit unclear.

jsup,

One of the differences between TP and TC is that TC has had a limit of 99 parameters. TPRT has the editor built into it while its a separate utility for TC.
I have used both and prefer TPRT. That's JMO.
Dominic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #59
jsup
DC Crew

Member #64150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post

jsup,

One of the differences between TP and TC is that TC has had a limit of 99 parameters. TPRT has the editor built into it while its a separate utility for TC.
I have used both and prefer TPRT. That's JMO.
I think what I am going to do is to with TCAT for now, and work with my tuner as I learn more. This will keep things consistent between us.

Once the tune is done, I'll switch to TPRT.

Is there any disadvantage to that?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #60
Dominic
DC Crew

Member #3761

My Corvette(s)
92 ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474

Quote:
I think what I am going to do is to with TCAT for now, and work with my tuner as I learn more. This will keep things consistent between us.

Once the tune is done, I'll switch to TPRT.

Is there any disadvantage to that?
That's how I started. Up to you. However, there should be no discrepancy between using TC and TP. The parameters will be the same as will the values.
After that it becomes a matter of preference. Knock yourself out.
Dominic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in