A wakeup at the carwash - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
darrylg
DC Crew

Member #100334

A wakeup at the carwash

I took my newly-acquired 84 to the high pressure carwash, thinking that the weatherseals were pretty good. I got a good splash in the face as the nozzles passed the upper corner of the window glass. Good thing I'd brought along a towel to wipe down the outside of the car - didn't know I'd also be wiping down the inside, along with my face!
darrylg is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
BonneRisque
DC Crew

Member #83678

My Corvette(s)
Blk C5 Z06 50th Aniv

A wakeup at the carwash

It's been known to happen

Bon
BonneRisque is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Rick 2000
DC Crew

Member #47671

My Corvette(s)
-70 454 coupe ,-07 Z

Corvette in a carwash , is a no no .
Rick 2000 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
darrylg
DC Crew

Member #100334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2000 View Post
Corvette in a carwash , is a no no .
It was touchless - no brushes, just water, lots of it.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
sdhd97
DC Crew

Member #73618

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette coupe

I agree, I always hand wash mine. Also I use microfiber cloths in between to keep the dust off.
sdhd97 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
darrylg
DC Crew

Member #100334

What's the concern about the carwash, other than possible water getting in past the weatherstripping? - I'd always heard that you're more likely to scratch the paint hand washing, since you can't possible use as much water as a commercial carwash.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

Its stilll hard on the surface. You've got a beautiful "museum" style car and some would treat it with kit gloves forever. However, it is your car and you can do with it as you please.

That being said, if the primary use for your cherry 84 is a weekend "toy" and weekend car, check out Junkman and his Adam's polishes threads. THAT's the way to maintain paint.

If you're going to use is as a daily driver, then a little abuse by a touchless car wash is going to be the least of the issues.

Remember...it is YOUR car...do with it as you please...the only time you'll hear people here get bent outta shape is if you were "abusing" a '53.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
sdhd97
DC Crew

Member #73618

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette coupe

Touchless car washes are great, it's the high pressure jets that have a way of getting in between the weatherstrip and waking you up. I'm not ready to change all the strips yet so that's why I stay away from the wash. We have a great drive it yourself thru and vacuum yourself wash here and I love it for all my other cars...

The old man always said if you want to test weatherstrip use a dollar bill between the seal, if it slides out easy then it's possiblly a suspect!!!

I use the bomb and a microfiber cloth after a nice cruise. I also only dry all of my cars with microfiber cloths. You can get a whole bag of them from Costco or Sams for $12.00 bucks.
sdhd97 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
darrylg
DC Crew

Member #100334

Thanks for the advice - it's definitely a low mileage weekend-only car and I want to keep it perfect. Sounds like I should stay away from the carwash and check out proper cleaning methods!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Both of my C4's did that and they were very low mile cars with great weatherstripping!

But, even with all the quirks, they are still bad ass cars.
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
darrylg
DC Crew

Member #100334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Both of my C4's did that and they were very low mile cars with great weatherstripping!

But, even with all the quirks, they are still bad ass cars.
I totally agree - I sometimes wonder if I got one that's in such great condition that I'm reluctant to drive it and put any miles on it. I doubt that I could sell my wife on the idea of another one as a daily driver!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhd97 View Post
Touchless car washes are great, it's the high pressure jets that have a way of getting in between the weatherstrip and waking you up. I'm not ready to change all the strips yet so that's why I stay away from the wash. We have a great drive it yourself thru and vacuum yourself wash here and I love it for all my other cars...

The old man always said if you want to test weatherstrip use a dollar bill between the seal, if it slides out easy then it's possiblly a suspect!!!

I use the bomb and a microfiber cloth after a nice cruise. I also only dry all of my cars with microfiber cloths. You can get a whole bag of them from Costco or Sams for $12.00 bucks.
Actually, you have suggested some things you DON'T want to do with a car that you want to the paint flawless on. Here's the deal.

A touchless car wash doesn't completely remove all the dirt off the car. I don't care how much pressure is used, dirt that is matted to the paint must be removed by touching the paint. I explain this technique in my wash and wax series that is located in the detailing section. Since touchless car washes cannot remove all the dirt, the second you go to dry the car off, you end up grinding that remaining film into the clear coat which is what produces all the swirls in the paint. Thus, even though nothing touches the car and causes damage during the wash process, it is the drying technique that creates the problem.

Some touchless car washes use touchless drying. That's great an all but since the car is still dirty, you really haven't accomplished anything and the second you brush up against the car, you are grinding that remaining dirt into the clear again. The best way to wash a car that you honestly care about is the 2-bucket wash method.

The Costco microfiber towels that you mentioned are the second worst mistake that you can do to your car's paint. If they are the only MF towels that you have ever used, you are in for quite a surprise if you ever get your hand on some real quality microfiber towels. The best, affordable microfiber comes from Korea. These towels are night and day from those "made in China" towels that you are using now. For less than $14, you can order two from Adam's and see for yourself. Use the forum discount code "DC" or my personal code "Junkman" in order to receive a 10% discount on your order. The towels that you are using now are the ones I use to check my oil. They are brutal to your paint.

Paint care has really evolved from when we were kids. Proper paint maintenance will make your car stand out regardless of its age. Here's mine, with over 111,000 miles on it at 9 years old.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
darrylg
DC Crew

Member #100334

Thanks for all the good information - I guess I've been duped by Googling "car wash" and getting the hype from the equipment manufacturers! By the way, would a decent liquid wax, like Turtle Wax, be a satisfactory protection?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
My name is Texdentist, and I am a washaholic. My car is a daily driver and I wash it once or twice a week. I break almost every Junkman rule (Please, God, don't let Junkman read this), but I AM careful. I often use a hand spray pressure washer and I always dry with old terry cloth towels - even though I have a pile of microfibre towels. I don't think it's possible to prevent the eventual formation of microscopic swirls, you just have to be ready to use the Junkman way to eliminate them. Hand washing and drying HAS to trap some dirt particles between any cloth and the paint that will scratch minutely as you wipe. I say all of this as 1) much needed confession and 2) support of XQIZT in saying, it's your car. Do what you think is best.

As for wax - Adam's has a fantastic line of hand and machine waxes and their customer service is awesome. (Junkman - can I consider this one Hail Mary? )
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC

Check out the post right above your last post. In there is a link to the information you want. I didn't think much about it until I actually bought my 99. Then I was like, omg, I can't put that in a car wash! So I learned how to do it right. From drying in one direction, using the right kind of towel, proper prep, etc. It's really almost an artform. But the results are stunning. IMHO these are beautiful cars, I don't care what generation you drive. I personally think they should be cared for in a special way, but that's just me.

Congrats on your new toy. Hope you have many years of fun and pleasure with it!
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in