A wakeup at the carwash - Page 8 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #106
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

C4 Paint thread

I'll help you write if you want...If you were closer, I'd photo document it for you as well.

You've obviously got the knowledge and its been very interesting reading what you have posted here.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #107
Speed-O
DC Crew

Member #97580

My Corvette(s)
1994 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
C4 Paint thread

I'll help you write if you want...If you were closer, I'd photo document it for you as well.

You've obviously got the knowledge and its been very interesting reading what you have posted here.
Thanks
I found it. They have it hidden in the stickys, I about sent you a PM and then noticed it right in front of my cursor lol.

I will use you to help me with grammar if you don't mind.
I bought my wife the crazy big, and way over priced Nikon D60 something digital SLR camera for her birthday. She is a photographer. And she suckered me into buying it for her by saying " It's like your spray guns, It's not a camera its a TOOL I can make money with" A $600 camera turned into $1100 because it don't come with the crap needed to make it work. I had to buy 2 lens, charger, memory cards, A large case to fit it all in etc. The bestbuy lady stuck it to me good.
That was over a year ago and that camera has left the house maybe 5 times, and never made one single dollar.
She can use it to take some good high quality pictures for me.

Any way sorry for the rant. I still see a mangaflow exhaust or a nice iwata spray gun when I look at that camera.

You did a great job on your C4, It looks great! and if I read correctly that was in 05? so by now you should know how good you did. Poor paint jobs will fail within the first two years. Most of the time is 12 months. I only see two very small things I would have a concern about. #1 wet sanding the OEM finish before primer. The 400 was more then enough to prep for the primer, The 600g was getting into the danger zone. One of the reasons you sand OEM finishes before painting it to give the primer something to bite to. Wet sanding with 600 is almost too smooth for primer to get a good bite. I very rarely hand sand the OEM paint before primer. I use something called an interface pad by 3M. Its a 1/2" thick foam hook & loop pad that attaches to a orbital sander to sand curves. They are fantastic for sanding before and after primer. But they are kinda expensive at $15 each and they wear out fast. but in my case time is money so they pay for them self. Also unless you are real good with an orbital sander don't use them. Because of the way the contour interface pads work it is easy to get a panel wavy real fast without knowing it.

The 2nd thing is the plastic your used to cover the engine. When you use plastic the overspray can dry on it and when you go to make a 2nd pass with the spray gun the air pressure will hit the plastic causing the overspray to peel off and go everywhere in little tiny paint pieces. I know this one from a bad experience. Since then I never use plastic on the actual car anymore. I still use it to cover interiors and tools in the shop. Now I use making paper on the cars all the time. I used plastic sheeting 10-15 times with no issues, but just that one time it screwed up cost me a lot of money and time.

Other then them two very small things you did quite well and I would hire you as a helper. You can't even imagine how bad some people are. About 25% of the people I went to school with and prob 50% of the kids I hire to help on large jobs . should never touch a spray gun again, and some should never touch a car again. lol.

I will starting on my 94 in a few weeks. Ive got 4 cars to do and a motorcycle trailer to paint and I will be free for a week or two. I will contact you then and we will make one hell of a how to article together if you want to
Speed-O is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #108
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

Yea...it was painted quite some time ago...under the supervision on a guy that paints here in the area....i prepped, he shot. I really wanted something inexpensive, but nice...pro jobs were just out of the question, so I used this a as learning experience.

I've been able to use my D80 to make some money, consistency has been the issue....some jobs here and there...anyway...let me know when you wanna do some writing and I'll be happy to help out!
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #109
colt
DC Crew

Member #85307

Last edited by colt; 04-17-2012 at 03:51 AM.
colt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #110
Speed-O
DC Crew

Member #97580

My Corvette(s)
1994 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
The funny thing on that red Firebird I had painted in 2002 with single stage. And it faded. A few years after it was painted, I bumped the front nose into something in a couple of places. I got some Duplicolor bright red, didn't really prep the bumper at all, and just sprayed the areas of the bumper where the paint chipped off. All this time later, that Duplicolor is still bright red. Everything else has faded.

Kinda sad $300 a gallon paint fades to pink, where as a $5 can of Duplicolor is still holding its color even with no prep.
Sounds to me like you where the victim of a shady painter. $300 for single stage paint is a lot. Even at retail DuPont nason is only $150 per gallon and Omni is also under $300.

My guess you got charged $300 for $50 no name fleet paint. A quality automotive grade single stage paint won't fade. Basically you got a Maaco $249.99 ambassador paint job.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #111
colt
DC Crew

Member #85307

Last edited by colt; 04-17-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #112
Speed-O
DC Crew

Member #97580

My Corvette(s)
1994 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
It was done at the local tech school for free. All I paid for was paint. So I guess I can't complain too much. I don't remember much about it as it was 2002. It looked good for a little while other than the paint flaking off in a few places and the over spray.

I remember them driving it around in primer. So, I know that wasn't good.
Their is honestly a 100 things that could have went wrong.
Mixed with too little or too much activator.
mixed too thin.
Added too much fish-eye eliminator. (should have not used any)

Do you know if they wet sanded it and/or polished it?
If it is acrylic enamel paint and they wet sanded it that would cause it to fade fast.
Acrylic enamel is a plastic based paint. The gloss finish it has is from a hard outer shell. Once that shell has been broken (like with sandpaper or grit in a compound) it never comes back.
you can polish the paint to get some shine back, but over time it will dull (fast) and it will need polished again.

Acrylic enamel paint and clear coat can NOT be polished with any kind of compound that has a grit nor can it be sanded.
Acrylic enamel is bottom line crap. I don't even know why it is made. It is only about $20 max cheaper then a 2k urethane and so much worse. I wish they would quit making it.

Where are you located at? I may can help you out.
Ive got two gallons of high quality PPG deltron basecoat that I have left over. Both gallons are full and unmixed. Deltron mixes 1:1 and makes 2 full sprayable gallons of paint. 1 gallon (unmixed)is more then enough to paint a C4 inside and out.
Since they are custom mixed I can't return them, and they are mixed in new, non labeled cans. So I cant even sell them. (no one would believe me that they are deltron.)
I will give you a gallon for the labor cost to paint your car. All I have is the actual color only. You would still need to buy basecoat activator, DT reducer and clearcoat with activator. But this will save you a ton of money. I paid $340 for each gallon, Retail price is $420. But I have none of my own money in them and have already been paid for the jobs that they are left over from.
I don't plan to use them for my own cars so they will either set and go bad after a year, or I will give them to someone for a discounted paint job.

The colors are:

2007 Jeep "Steel blue metallic" It is nothing like the 1991 corvette steel blue metallic. It is a dark gray-ish blue metallic. Google "Jeep steel blue metallic" to see the color.

AND

"Brilliant bright blue pearl". It is a non OEM color. It was picked out from another brand's custom color chip book. It is a med-dark metallic blue with a blue pearl. It is a very stunning color but will be hard to match because I don't have a paint code or a mixing formula for this color.

Here is a picture of the mustang I painted with The blue pearl.

Let me know if you would be interested or not. Depend on the amount of labor and type of paint you orignaly have I can paint your vette with one of the two colors for somewhere in the $600-$1000 range.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #113
colt
DC Crew

Member #85307

Last edited by colt; 04-17-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #114
Speed-O
DC Crew

Member #97580

My Corvette(s)
1994 6-spd

Naa I thought about it but with the rock slide in the nc/tn I40 "gorge" I would have to take I40 to asheville and take I26 north into kingsport. That or take 85 south into greenville SC. Either way a 5 hour drive is now 9 hours until they remove the rock slide from I40.

I love pigeon forge. Ive just about bought a house in Sevierville twice now and keep letting woman talk me out of it.
Until 6 months ago I lived in Asheville NC for my whole life.
It's right on the TN/NC line. I use to go to pigeon forge at lest 10 times a year.
I even had a truck entered into the southeastern mini trucken nats when I was young. I even won 1st place for "best solid color paint" back in 1999.

Ive never been to the vette expo, But I never miss the rod run.

However I will be in chattanooga TN for 3 nights starting April 23rd. I'm thinking real seriously about taking my son and leaving from Chattanooga to go to Bowling green to the corvette museum since I will be so close. I just got to find out a way to legaly haul a 6 month old in a corvette
I don't want to go alone and I would love to take him. But I also dont want to go to the birthplace of my corvette without my corvette..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in