The c4 is ALWAYS looked down on - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #46
Sagea84

Member #58242

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
Why did you buy a C4 if you think it is ugly? For the price? I think mercedez are ugly and I would never own one, they look like a hyundai with a hood ornament. Don't ever buy a car for the name, that is really shallow. That is why people say Oh, I don't like the styling but its a vette.
No... I'm 16, you think I can afford anything else? I didn't say I thought it was ugly, just that, to me, the other generations look better.

I also think the C4 does seem the most gen with the "sports car feel" too. Stiff ride, clamshell hoods ROCK, great power (yes, even the crossfire. I'd swear it's faster than 205 hp).
Sagea84 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #47
MSG C5
DC Crew

Member #33886

My Corvette(s)
2004 Convertible

I have always loved the looks of the C4. As to power, it's simply a sign of our times. There are new Hondas and Nissans with more HP than mid-80s Corvettes. However, a Corvette will always be a Corvette.

I hope the new C7 has some C4 lineage such as the great profile and wrap around driving/fog lights.

Drive it with pride. I'm a C5 owner and waive at all generations. Personally, some of my favorite and unique vettes are the C4 generation. I loved that Polo Green/Tan verte combination as well as the Silver ZR1 special edition.

Plus, I think White C4 vertes with red interiors are one of the best combos ever!
MSG C5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
formerly "RedBarchetta"
Old 09-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #48
onedef92
Daily News

Member #64219

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK's Z06 View Post
I'll go one step further in saying, my 1992 Dark Red Metallic C4 got MORE attention than my C5Z and my C6. I've been considering a Admiral Blue LT4 lately....
I must say I get a lot of looks in my Dark Red Metallic coupe, too. I love that color code when it's shined up properly! A lot of mofo's think it's a Ruby Red Anniv. Edition from a distance.
onedef92 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1992 LT1 Coupe, Brilliant Red Metallic on black leather interior, A-4 auto, FX-3. More than 120,000 miles and still runnin' like new money.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #49
BlkThunder69

Member #38279

My Corvette(s)
69 Vette

This is honestly a suprise to me.......The C4 is one of the LEAST DESIRABLE CORVETTES in the generations? I know that's not how most of you feel and it is not how I feel.

I said it once and I'll say it again, IMO I like the C6 because it reminds me of my 88. From the back, I'll see a Corvette going down the road and I'll think theres the C6 and it will be a 1985 with the round lights. As someone else said.....The interior was so COCKPIT feeling and the dash was so HIGH TECH then! I remember taking my friends for drives and they couldn't believe how awesome a car it was! I remember this poster I had in my room of a black and red early C4 sitting side my side in a dark background with just there parking lights on (they were simply BAD ASS)!!!! When I got divorced my Ex got the custody of the poster (I just wanted to get out of there) Jerk probably threw it away!

I guess you might find "someone" who doesn't like our Corvettes, whatever year they might be, but MOST people I've encountered love them all!!!!
BlkThunder69 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #50
Dominic
DC Crew

Member #3761

My Corvette(s)
92 ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474

I have owned an 84 Xfire for 24 years and after a few mods I can say it was a blast to drive. I recently sold it and originally started out thinking I'd replace it with a C5Z. But I'd always loved the ZR-1. One day I had the chance to drive both cars back to back. Once you open a clamshell hood and look at the LT-5 settled in there, there's just no comparison with the plastic you see under the C5 hood. And the ZR-1 comes with a targa roof too for about 10k less than the C5. I consider the C4 to be the last of the "pretty" Corvettes. Classic lines.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't look a C6Z in the air intake, but pretty it isn't although I like it better than the C5 gen. "Brutal" comes to mind.
Dominic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #51
SurfnSun
DC Crew

Member #1231

My Corvette(s)
1996 LT4

Not everyone hates on C4s....Im on my 4th one Call me crazy.

early 84 Z51 auto
85 4+3
88 Callaway Twin Turbo (I want this one back)
96 LT4

Truth be told I was looking to buy a 2000 FRC that sold out from under me before I bought my LT4...but now that I have it Im very happy with the car....and it was $6k less to boot
SurfnSun is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #52
SimpleLT
DC Crew

Member #50245

My Corvette(s)
'02 EB Vette

The modern C5 and C6 are quite common, you don't see as many C4s running around any more. The newest one out there is already over 10 years old. Just a week or so ago there was a small high school parade across from my office, saw a few Vettes out there, C2s and a mostly C5s and C6s. I happen to pull in prior to work and I think my C4 almost got as many looks as the C2s did, which of course where most were.

The funny thing was, only the guys with older cars had any remote idea what year what my car could have been. One of the newer Vette owner asked me if it was an '85. Anyone that knows the stock front and rear end of C4s would know which age range it would fall in. Fun nonetheless. I've always only got positive feedback for my ride.
SimpleLT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Current Ride: '02 Electron Blue Vette
Previous Rides: '95 Admiral Blue Vette (1 of 1,006) - '97 Cammed and Juiced Trans Am
Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #53
GUMBY
DC Crew

Member #41356

My Corvette(s)
C6 Machine silver coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan17 View Post
im sure there has been many forums posted on this topic, but WHY is the c4 always looked down upon by the c3 or c5, c6, etc ppl?
considering the c4 changed the whole image of corvette...this new motor, introduced in 84 and redefined in 85. the c4 was known for the superior handling which is still used(to a certain extent) in the c5 and so on.

when ppl ask me what vette i have i reply with a 95 and they say..oh, i didnt like those years...they are "ugly". to some people, we may be on the bottom of the foodchain of corvettes but the c4 lasted the longest, was known to be superior of its time but yet still looked down upon.

if you are a HUGE corvette enthusiast(like myself) and have a limited amount of money(again like myself) the c4 is perfect. you get a great amount of power, GREATTT deal(they are so under priced, which is fine with me ) and for god sakes...they ARE a corvette! this thread kind of goes with the one some dude posted about a snobbish corvette community which i completely agree with him on. My point is, there are no reasons for the c4 to be looked down upon and almost to be chastised for owning one, if u think that the c4 is among the shit years...you cant be a true corvette owner.

sorry for it being kind of long
If you are happy with your C4, who cares what other ppl think. The C4 was, for me- the one that got me hooked and the styling and features set it apart from other cars available at the time. I read that the design was loosly based on the Ferrari 308 GTB. And add in -the targa top, clam-shell opening hood and those fantasic flip over headlights, well I think there is nothing to be ashamed of.
Rock on!
GUMBY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"He was once a little green slab of clay...GUMBY!"
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #54
AngelOfDeath
DC Crew

Member #64240

My Corvette(s)
1992 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney 5 View Post

Okay, so what's not to love about a red C-4? Sorry for the size, maybe someone can clue me in on how to size a picture. (This is my first attempt.)
I don't know how to resize the pic but I do know the wheels on that car are on backwards.
AngelOfDeath is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #55
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! It was that way when I bought it, and I haven't decided if it's worth the time and effort to do a swap around.
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #56
onedef92
Daily News

Member #64219

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Coupe

I read that the design was loosly based on the Ferrari 308 GTB...

It also took a lot of styling cues from the first-gen Mazda RX-7.

1992 LT1 Coupe, Brilliant Red Metallic on black leather interior, A-4 auto, FX-3. More than 120,000 miles and still runnin' like new money.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #57
onedef92
Daily News

Member #64219

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Coupe

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone would catch that! It was that way when I bought it, and I haven't decided if it's worth the time and effort to do a swap around.
Even if the car has the fragile LTPWS wheel sensors, I'd still make it right.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #58
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

The RX-7 does resemble an econo-Vette..
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #59
onedef92
Daily News

Member #64219

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Coupe

Quote:
The RX-7 does resemble an econo-Vette..
The C3 cats say the same thing about the Opel GT from back in the day...

Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #60
AK's Z06
DC Crew

Member #29637

My Corvette(s)
2005 Monterey Red Metallic Z51 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
Even if the car has the fragile LTPWS wheel sensors, I'd still make it right.
On my 1995, I just removed the dash bulb when I dumped the EMTs and sensors!
AK's Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2005 Monterey Red Metallic Z51 Sold, 2003 Electron Blue Z06 Sold, 1995 Aqua Metallic ZF6FX3 Sold, 1992 Dark Red Metallic Coupe Sold, 1990 White Coupe Sold, 1989 Black Coupe Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in