The c4 is ALWAYS looked down on - Page 8 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-22-2007, 03:13 AM   #106
GUMBY
DC Crew

Member #41356

My Corvette(s)
C6 Machine silver coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
On the other side of the coin are the posers and hangers-on who drive 'Vettes, yet know nothing about them and actually help perpetrate the stereotypical "plastic penis extender" perception many people have of mid-life, male Corvette owners.

I used to work with a guy who had a white '95 coupe and didn't know anything about his car like his engine code, options, hp/performance ratings, etc. Ask him about his 'Vette and all he would say was "it's a bullet and the ho's like it."
Right on Bro' like you said...
GUMBY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"He was once a little green slab of clay...GUMBY!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #107
GUMBY
DC Crew

Member #41356

My Corvette(s)
C6 Machine silver coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
Sedan
maybe he meant "Sedate"????
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 AM   #108
GUMBY
DC Crew

Member #41356

My Corvette(s)
C6 Machine silver coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
The company I work for is similar. The CEO here owns several Mustangs, so it's the "unofficial company car."

There's a shitload of 'em in the parking lot. Everyone thinks they have to drive a 'Stang to eat the boss's ass.

Me? I got nothin' against Mustangs, but I think it's cool being one of only a couple of standout mofo's who drives a Corvette to work daily. Heck, even the boss used to own a 1988 Corvette coupe...
Wow this thread is getting serious mileage, Kodo's to the orig. poster!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #109
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

In another 20 to 30 years, when the C-4 becomes a classic Vette (which they will) the snubbers will be saying "I remember when you could pick up one of those for nothing."

They will no longer be a 'poor mans Vette' (I am not saying that, others are) but an object of envy (not that they aren't already.) I'm sure when the C-3s came out they had their share of critics too.

By then, there will be another model Vette to pick on...

(I wonder if Ford Mustang lovers pick on the Pinto Stangs this way)
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 09-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #110
c4derf
DC Crew

Member #63398

My Corvette(s)
C4

Looking down upon a C4

I have watched this thread from the side lines and have had quite a few chuckles doing so. My take is folks look down on the C4 cause it is built close to the ground, has superior road handeling and torque than any other comprably priced car (sports or sedan) from the 83 - 96 market. As stated the C4 still holds it own after a decade + over the modern day ricers and still runs strong with the fellow C5s and C6s possibly with the exception of the Z06s! But the "Looking down on C4s" is most likely due to the fact that the others can not force themselves to buy such a fine piece of history and drive it daily. I say let them look down on the C4 particularly as we drive past them enjoying our ride
c4derf is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...f/poloclub.jpg

C4DERFC4,LT1, FX3, 4A CoupePolo Green & Beige
Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #111
Eagles92LT1
DC Crew

Member #63605

My Corvette(s)
1992 C4 & 2003 C5

C4's just keep on rockin'
Who cares about the critics.......see ya on the road!

Eagles92LT1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #112
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

I was just thinking (dangerous as it may be) I was never so looked down upon as when I was driving an old 82 Honda Accord hatchback. I got the finger, I got the dirty looks, I got the Horn, I got cut off by almost everyone who saw me coming. I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had the experiences I had while driving that little car. The C-4 looked down upon? Try out an older hatchback for size..

BTW, I'll bet if I was driving a Hummer with a machine gun turret, that kind of behavior from others would have never happened..
Old 08-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #113
FLDAVE
DC Crew

Member #81702

My Corvette(s)
'92 LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan17 View Post
im sure there has been many forums posted on this topic, but WHY is the c4 always looked down upon by the c3 or c5, c6, etc ppl?
considering the c4 changed the whole image of corvette...this new motor, introduced in 84 and redefined in 85. the c4 was known for the superior handling which is still used(to a certain extent) in the c5 and so on.

when ppl ask me what vette i have i reply with a 95 and they say..oh, i didnt like those years...they are "ugly". to some people, we may be on the bottom of the foodchain of corvettes but the c4 lasted the longest, was known to be superior of its time but yet still looked down upon.

if you are a HUGE corvette enthusiast(like myself) and have a limited amount of money(again like myself) the c4 is perfect. you get a great amount of power, GREATTT deal(they are so under priced, which is fine with me ) and for god sakes...they ARE a corvette! this thread kind of goes with the one some dude posted about a snobbish corvette community which i completely agree with him on. My point is, there are no reasons for the c4 to be looked down upon and almost to be chastised for owning one, if u think that the c4 is among the shit years...you cant be a true corvette owner.

sorry for it being kind of long
It's simple. People don't know what cool is anymore. The mid-years and the C4's are the best looking 'vettes ever made.
The C1's. I don't see it. And they were never popular in there day.
The mid-years. Well they speak for them selfs.
The sharks. Ok. But done to death. 15 years. Common!
C5's look like a squashed Firebird except they have a big ugly ass end. They need a decal that reads "You're ad here".
C6's. A slighty redesigned C5. Still has the big ugly ass end.

Why are the '70 'cudas 100 times more valued than the '70 Challengers even though they are the same car. Simple. Two heads; COOL. Four headlights; NOT COOL. Subtitle chnage. But, what a difference.

Look at the design balance of the C4. Smooth even flowing body lines. Balance is the key.
FLDAVE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #114
Evilpat
DC Crew

Member #67055

My Corvette(s)
1994 AQUA Metallic Blue C4

I think in my opinion if your a real car guy or car girl you enjoy, and find value in all performance cars. I know I love looking at just about any type of performance car, and love talking to the people that own them at shows. It's cool hanging with people who share the same passion as you do.
Evilpat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Magnaflow Exhaust, 3:54 rear end, PCMforless tune, Carbon Fiber interior kit, AFS wheels.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #115
SEARAY290
DC Crew

Member #71415

My Corvette(s)
2006 'vert,86 coupe

Dont let someone elses opinion of the C-4 bother you. Drive what you like! I have watched a stock '84 turn better times on an autocross than a C5. I was fortunate to own an 85 and Dad and I ended up with an 86 and 89 + another 84. Dads 84 was a blast around town and the twisty back roads. The 85 I built up and played with-still going after 242000 miles.I guess those that run down the C4 forgot that they were unbeatable in showroom stock racing in the 80's. The Build quality is far superior than the older generations. I have put a couple hundred thousand miles on C-4's-2 failures that stopped me.
All of these cars have their shining points-the classic lines of a C-1, the sound of a bigblock exhaling thru sidepipes-the gleam of chrome from knockoff spinners on a C-2, the curves of a C-3. The C-4, where do you start-aerodynamics (lowest cd for years), technologic development (throttle body to tuned port injection to sequential injection, induction tuning-6 speed transmissions, abs, real time dampening, traction and stability control) ergonomics,sound systems (still sounds better than my C5!?!). I think many look down upon the C4 because of the pricing-the car is undervalued at this time. You are not alone-goto a Ferrari club show and the newer car owners and classic owners look down on the 308 and Mondial, How about the 912 and 914 guys or TR7 (ok the TR7 was REALLY a P.O.S.)-you get my meaning. I am waiting for the day when I can add a 40th anniversary ZR-1 to my fleet (or maybe an early Callaway, or a Grand Sport??)
SEARAY290 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #116
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

The C4 is at the bottom of the depreciation curve. There are also a lot of them that are in a state of deterioration which somewhat makes them all look like junkers. But just look at one that's in great shape and..
Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #117
SEARAY290
DC Crew

Member #71415

My Corvette(s)
2006 'vert,86 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney 5 View Post
The C4 is at the bottom of the depreciation curve. There are also a lot of them that are in a state of deterioration which somewhat makes them all look like junkers. But just look at one that's in great shape and..
SEARAY290 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #118
BlkThunder69

Member #38279

My Corvette(s)
69 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney 5 View Post
When a C4 is pristine, it is unbelievably beautiful! Someday I will have another, hopefully soon.
BlkThunder69 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The DC gal formerly known as REDHTC6GIRL
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #119
Jeffs_Vette
DC Crew

Member #81707

My Corvette(s)
none, but one again someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan17 View Post
im sure there has been many forums posted on this topic, but WHY is the c4 always looked down upon by the c3 or c5, c6, etc ppl?
considering the c4 changed the whole image of corvette...this new motor, introduced in 84 and redefined in 85. the c4 was known for the superior handling which is still used(to a certain extent) in the c5 and so on.

when ppl ask me what vette i have i reply with a 95 and they say..oh, i didnt like those years...they are "ugly". to some people, we may be on the bottom of the foodchain of corvettes but the c4 lasted the longest, was known to be superior of its time but yet still looked down upon.

if you are a HUGE corvette enthusiast(like myself) and have a limited amount of money(again like myself) the c4 is perfect. you get a great amount of power, GREATTT deal(they are so under priced, which is fine with me ) and for god sakes...they ARE a corvette! this thread kind of goes with the one some dude posted about a snobbish corvette community which i completely agree with him on. My point is, there are no reasons for the c4 to be looked down upon and almost to be chastised for owning one, if u think that the c4 is among the shit years...you cant be a true corvette owner.

sorry for it being kind of long
When i first started looking at buying my first corvette i wanted a c3, i just love those body lines, them big ol' fenders but then i saw the price tag those are way out of an 18 year olds pocket book range. SO then i cound out about c4's, at first i didnt really like them at all, then i went and test drove my 'vette, it was love at first drive if i could i'd go back and tell my self to get it again
Jeffs_Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I Like Corvettes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #120
black85vette
DC Crew

Member #40838

My Corvette(s)
1985 Black Vette

Yeah, you can get the C4 cheap if you want a ragged one, and for not too much for a fair one. Yet, when my neighbor couldn't buy my 85 off me, he went and bought a 96. Then, his son bought a 95. Another neighbor has a 94, and the guy around the corner has a 91. All these men could buy new, if they wanted, and I see a fair share of C6's rolling down my street. Yet, these men chose the C4. Value? I don't know. I do know I'm still driving mine because I like walking up to my C4 more than any design Chevy has produced since.

Will I buy new someday? Hmm, mine is turning 25, so probably. I just hope the design sharpens up before then, or I may have to make room in my garage for two!
black85vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in