A good reason to encourage your kids to go out and play, or take up a hobby - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
YellowBlur07
DC Crew

Member #72975

My Corvette(s)
2007 VY MN6 Coupe Z51 <sold>

A good reason to encourage your kids to go out and play, or take up a hobby

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/349556...ng_and_family/

Media usage (cell phones, video games, internet) has gone up with disturbing consequences

Quote:
Those ages 8 to 18 spend more than seven and a half hours a day with such devices, compared with less than six and a half hours five years ago, when the study was last conducted. And that does not count the hour and a half that youths spend texting, or the half-hour they talk on their cellphones.

And because so many of them are multitasking say, surfing the Internet while listening to music they pack on average nearly 11 hours of media content into that seven and a half hours.

While most of the young people in the study got good grades, 47 percent of the heaviest media users those who consumed at least 16 hours a day had mostly Cs or lower, compared with 23 percent of those who typically consumed media three hours a day or less. The heaviest media users were also more likely than the lightest users to report that they were bored or sad, or that they got into trouble, did not get along well with their parents and were not happy at school.

When I was a kid, I loved going out in the garage and turning a wrench on antique cars with my dad. And I learned a thing or two about cars to boot.
YellowBlur07 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Message printed on 100% recycled electrons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
midnite902
DC Crew

Member #36958

My Corvette(s)
05 C6 Z51 DSOM 1SX, MN6 Built by 21st Century Musclecars

Times have changed for sure. When I was young we were all about sports practicing or playing till darkness made us quit.

When I got out on my own and began racing, my partner and I made a pact. 1 day a week for girls and the rest in the garage or at the track with the race car.

Now you go to car show and they are plying video games on Ps3 players installed in their car and wide screens popping out of their trunk
midnite902 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
C6 Z51 1SX, MN6, Stroked LS7 442ci, TrickFlow 225 Heads, 21CMC Road Race Cam, Kooks,
Balanced Z06 Clutch/Flywheel, Callaway CAI, Ported Fast90, Polished TB, LPE 100mm MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo,
Ron Davis Radiator, Dewitts Hi-Flow, CCW C-10 275s/325s Bridgestone RE05a

534rwhp 512rwtq -

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
SimpleLT
DC Crew

Member #50245

My Corvette(s)
'02 EB Vette

That seems like a bit loaded of a report, if listening to music is consuming media then when I'm at work for 10 hours and listen to music all day, at the gym and watch tv or listen to music for the most of the two hours I'm there and play video games for the rest of the time I'm awake, I guess I fall in that heavy media usage crowd.

I see what the report is trying to convey but it comes across as if there is a direct correlation.
SimpleLT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Current Ride: '02 Electron Blue Vette
Previous Rides: '95 Admiral Blue Vette (1 of 1,006) - '97 Cammed and Juiced Trans Am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in