How Smart Is It to Use a C5 as a Daily Driver? - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #46
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshrk View Post
So if 30 is the new 20 then where does that leave you?
Not much better off until 30 becomes the new 5.
Choreo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #47
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Quote:
So if 30 is the new 20 then where does that leave you?
I'm 18 with 29 years of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng91 View Post
I bought a 2004 in May of 2005 for my wife as a gift. She drives it every day and some times in really wet weather. We live in Miami, Fla. where it rains 60 plus inches a year. Other than replacing the tires she has had no problems. I lied, I had to replace the sun visiors once. I see no problem driving the car every day. These cars are built to drive. Why own one if you are afraid to drive it in any kind of weather condition. All vehicles will require a certain kind of attention sooner or later, whether it be a sedan or corvette. Drive the car, enjoy the ledgend! keng91 ( the 91 is for my vette )
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleLT View Post
With the exception of the cost of big fat rubber this car sits on, it's one of the easiest to maintain and reliable cars I've owned. Not to mention it's pretty good on gas. I'm probably 70% city driving but still get around 24 mpg on average. I spend the same on insurance as I would for any other vehicle and I think I made out decently for the cost and mileage for a car I'll probably keep as my DD for at least another five or so years.
Even for the individual that I described in the very first post? You need to read the first post, FIRST.
Junkman2008 is offline   Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #48
RagtopDan

Member #74687

My Corvette(s)
Sadly Sold

I will preface this with the fact that I absolutely LOVE my 2003 Convertible...that being said, I would never consider it a daily driver.

To me, the definition of a DD is one that is cheap (relatively) to maintain and can go a long time without requiring anything but routine stuff. That is why I bought my Acura...underneath the skin, it is a Honda and I know the thing will run forever! I have only owned it for a couple of years and put about 2K miles a year on it, but it seems that each year it requires some kind of more serious repair that works out to be anything but cheap. I look at that as the "price of fame". If I drove the car more, I can imagine what that price might be. Of course, I knew this going in... Plus, as Junkman said, I live in the northeast and you get three seasons out of it at best. The car may handle snow OK (although I can't imagine it), but you are not the only person on the road. I would hate to lose my investment because someone else couldn't handle their Taurus...
RagtopDan is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I'm 18 with 29 years of experience.

I have more than 29 years "experience", but apparently invested it in the wrong place - guess I should have been using a tongue pump?
Choreo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #50
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopDan View Post
I will preface this with the fact that I absolutely LOVE my 2003 Convertible...that being said, I would never consider it a daily driver.

To me, the definition of a DD is one that is cheap (relatively) to maintain and can go a long time without requiring anything but routine stuff. That is why I bought my Acura...underneath the skin, it is a Honda and I know the thing will run forever! I have only owned it for a couple of years and put about 2K miles a year on it, but it seems that each year it requires some kind of more serious repair that works out to be anything but cheap. I look at that as the "price of fame". If I drove the car more, I can imagine what that price might be. Of course, I knew this going in... Plus, as Junkman said, I live in the northeast and you get three seasons out of it at best. The car may handle snow OK (although I can't imagine it), but you are not the only person on the road. I would hate to lose my investment because someone else couldn't handle their Taurus...

That's exactly the same way I feel. Add to that the fact that I have 124,500 miles on my car and I've had to fix all kinds of stuff on it. Luckily, I am able to do the repairs myself but if I had to pay for those repairs, I could have bought two DD with that money. It is not that the car is unreliable, it's just that the repairs are not cheap if you buy quality parts and have the work done at a shop.

Like I initially said, the car is cheap to buy but not cheap to own (unless you're a baller like Pimpin' Pat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
I have more than 29 years "experience", but apparently invested it in the wrong place - guess I should have been using a tongue pump?
You nasty!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #51
dkshrk
DC Crew

Member #69118

My Corvette(s)
99 BLACK FRC (RIP), 2003 BLK MOD RED Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
KILLIN ME!
dkshrk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Robert J Hale
Semper Fi

DRKSHRK 1999 black FRC (RIP MAR 22 2008)
Z06 wheels, 180 degree Thermostat

PHLHRSE 2003 BLACK MOD RED Z06
VARARAM INTAKE
Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #52
dkshrk
DC Crew

Member #69118

My Corvette(s)
99 BLACK FRC (RIP), 2003 BLK MOD RED Z06

[QUOTE=Junkman2008;1815572]I'm 18 with 29 years of experience.

I'll have to say some of the stuff you know on corvettes I have need to use so this JACK & COKES for you Devil Dog.
dkshrk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Robert J Hale
Semper Fi

DRKSHRK 1999 black FRC (RIP MAR 22 2008)
Z06 wheels, 180 degree Thermostat

PHLHRSE 2003 BLACK MOD RED Z06
VARARAM INTAKE
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #53
JBsZ0666
Account Disabled.

Member #3329

My Corvette(s)
c6 z51 M6 NPP

i think corvettes make great daily drivers...(consider hankook evo 12 tires from discount tire direct for under 700)

Basically they are change the oil and run them...

Anytime a person buys a preowned car...its always a crap shoot on repair and maintaince costs..

having owned a 99 c5 coupe, a 2001 z06 and now an 08 C6..? Very reliable cars....yet the GMPP extended warranty can't hurt considering how inexpensive they are...

sorry to hear the original poster had so much trouble..

Sh T happens unfortunately....and sometimes we shoot craps..

other times in life we get lucky.

Thats more the story with used cars than any specific brand..

Brakes from Napa autoparts are cheap...ie 25 bucks a rotor..

Most of the repair costs on vettes is relatively inexpensive....compared to other 170 mph sports cars..(c5)

Out perform ferrari's, aston martins, BMW's, Jaguar, Maserati's...

Compare their repair and maintaince costs..
JBsZ0666 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #54
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I'll have to say some of the stuff you know on corvettes I have need to use so this JACK & COKES for you Devil Dog.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #55
wdtiger
DC Crew

Member #79877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsZ0666 View Post
i think corvettes make great daily drivers...(consider hankook evo 12 tires from discount tire direct for under 700)

Basically they are change the oil and run them...

Anytime a person buys a preowned car...its always a crap shoot on repair and maintaince costs..

having owned a 99 c5 coupe, a 2001 z06 and now an 08 C6..? Very reliable cars....yet the GMPP extended warranty can't hurt considering how inexpensive they are...

sorry to hear the original poster had so much trouble..

Sh T happens unfortunately....and sometimes we shoot craps..

other times in life we get lucky.

Thats more the story with used cars than any specific brand..

Brakes from Napa autoparts are cheap...ie 25 bucks a rotor..

Most of the repair costs on vettes is relatively inexpensive....compared to other 170 mph sports cars..(c5)

Out perform ferrari's, aston martins, BMW's, Jaguar, Maserati's...

Compare their repair and maintaince costs..
All of this has kind of been my point all along. So far, the arguments against it being a smart dd can be applied to any car in it's price range.

Struggling to pay your loan and ins payments? Those are just excuses and can be applied to any car in it's price range. That's more to do with buying stuff out of your budget than an actual Corvette problem.

Yes, tires are expensive... if you're buying super performance tires that aren't needed on a dd.

Oil changes are expensive... wait, no they aren't, you're just not looking hard enough for good deals (hint: $25 cases of Mobil 1 at CostCo! You could buy enough oil alone there to make the $50 membership worth it!).

And once you start modding a car, well all bets are off, so i think those are poor arguments also.

For a dd, cheap Napa rotors work just as well as any expensive oem size replacement rotors. If you aren't tracking the car, cheap Napa pads will work just fine as well.

Yes, in CERTAIN circumstances, i could see how this car could be impractical as your sole DD car. Having a wife and 2 kids with only a Corvette to get around could be bad.

If you can't work on cars yourself, then ANY modern car will get expensive when stuff breaks. This is not strictly a Corvette thing.

So, again... if cheap = smart dd, then i think i win with my $60 car. But if we're going to compare to cars within the C5's price range, i'm not seeing a lot of valid points so far.

wdtiger is offline   Quick reply to this message
2000 Torch Red FRC - bone stock!
1988 Mazda RX7 - SCCA IT prepared racecar!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #56
Zombievette

Member #65124

My Corvette(s)
04 FRC ZO6---Torch RED

I purchased my 04 Z with the idea of it being a clear sky and road type of car. I drive it whenever the Ohio weather allows and enjoy it fully!

The thought of using it as a daily driver.....kind of makes me cringe. Maybe I worship the vehicle too much (I know it's just a chevy Patrick) but I would hate to see it take the beating from the bad weather and worse......the general public that my daily driver takes. People don't respect others property (I'll save that for another thread).

I'll just keep it as the fun toy it was meant to be in my life!

Nice thread A.J.
Zombievette is offline   Quick reply to this message
"TAKE NO PRISONERS"
Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #57
midnite902
DC Crew

Member #36958

My Corvette(s)
05 C6 Z51 DSOM 1SX, MN6 Built by 21st Century Musclecars

Cars are tools. I have always maintained a stable of 3 cars. When I was young they were much cheaper cars but still each had it's purpose. I like to have a 2 seat sports car, a hauler, and a nice sedan for when I want to carry more than 1 person.

I drive whatever I feel like each day. I have driven my "mild mannered" Vette home from Little Rock after an Ice Storm, through driving rain storms here in Texas. It is my first choice when driving alone.

The Vette is the most practical 2 seat sports car I have owned. Fast, dependable and gives me a great feeling when I drive it. I would not want any 2 seater as my only vehicle but the Vette would be my first choice for a daily 2 seater.

If I could afford a larger stable, I would get an Automatic GS Corvette as a commuter, another exotic for the street and a dedicated track car and hauler.

midnite902 is offline   Quick reply to this message
C6 Z51 1SX, MN6, Stroked LS7 442ci, TrickFlow 225 Heads, 21CMC Road Race Cam, Kooks,
Balanced Z06 Clutch/Flywheel, Callaway CAI, Ported Fast90, Polished TB, LPE 100mm MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo,
Ron Davis Radiator, Dewitts Hi-Flow, CCW C-10 275s/325s Bridgestone RE05a

534rwhp 512rwtq -

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #58
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtiger View Post
... So, again... if cheap = smart dd, then i think i win with my $60 car. But if we're going to compare to cars within the C5's price range, i'm not seeing a lot of valid points so far.

You're still missing the point. Cheap doesn't equal a smart DD, PRACTICAL does. The C5 Corvette is not a practical daily driver!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #59
JBsZ0666
Account Disabled.

Member #3329

My Corvette(s)
c6 z51 M6 NPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You're still missing the point. Cheap doesn't equal a smart DD, PRACTICAL does. The C5 Corvette is not a practical daily driver!
Huge trunk...good gas mileage.. and of course wild @ss performance...

Inexpensive to insure and upkeep costs under normal wear and tear are inexpensive ...compared to other vehicles of similair performance..

Of course if you need 4 seats..the vettes a two seater...but I don't find having a 2 seater an issue but rather a benefit to not have to drive people around..LOL

If I could only have one car...and I wanted a value based reliable sports car...No question the C5 would be the choice.

tons of great low mileage well cared for examples..

I still miss my c5 z06 and wish I didn't sell it sometimes..

Really a great car. More race car like driving experience than my c6 z51 Ls3 with NPP...

IF my c6 disappeared...(ie. stolen) no question I would buy a relatively low mileage well cared for RED

c5 z06 to replace it...
JBsZ0666 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #60
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsZ0666 View Post
Huge trunk...good gas mileage.. and of course wild @ss performance...

Inexpensive to insure and upkeep costs under normal wear and tear are inexpensive ...compared to other vehicles of similair performance..

Of course if you need 4 seats..the vettes a two seater...but I don't find having a 2 seater an issue but rather a benefit to not have to drive people around..LOL

If I could only have one car...and I wanted a value based reliable sports car...No question the C5 would be the choice.

tons of great low mileage well cared for examples..

I still miss my c5 z06 and wish I didn't sell it sometimes..

Really a great car. More race car like driving experience than my c6 z51 Ls3 with NPP...

IF my c6 disappeared...(ie. stolen) no question I would buy a relatively low mileage well cared for RED

c5 z06 to replace it...
But again, are you the person who is being described in the first post???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in