Any Atheists out there? - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance



Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #46
DarthAWM
DC Crew
 
DarthAWM's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,146
Member #83845
Member since: Apr 2009
Location: Odessa, TX

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe, 2000 Bowing Green Metalic Auto Coupe

Thanks: 33
Thanked 545 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usasealx View Post
There doesn't have to be anything... there is nothing that points that there has to be. No such thing as good vs evil... that's man made.
Hitler?
And he was atheist wasn't he?

Just throwin that out there.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #47
1BadMood
DC Crew
 
1BadMood's Avatar
 
Posts: 471
Member #9239
Member since: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Balboa, CA

My Corvette(s)
2007 Triple Black Vert. Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
to take a page out of many of your books, "prove it" they are evil no matter how you look at it.
If you have an individual with severe mental retardation and they commit a crime (say even kill), how can you label them evil if they don't even know what evil is.? I'm just saying, that humans do awful things for many reasons, but to just chalk it up to them being "evil" is naive IMHO. There is no evil spirit. You are either a normal human being or your fucked up in the head.
1BadMood is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1BADMOOD
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #48
HardcoreABN
Account Disabled.
 
HardcoreABN's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,823
Member #36463
Member since: Jul 2005
Location: FT. Bragg/Fayetteville, NC

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Thanks: 83
Thanked 314 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadMood View Post
If you have an individual with severe mental retardation and they commit a crime (say even kill), how can you label them evil if they don't even know what evil is.? I'm just saying, that humans do awful things for many reasons, but to just chalk it up to them being "evil" is naive IMHO. There is no evil spirit. You are either a normal human being or your fucked up in the head.
there is nothing stating they had severe mental retardation, much less any mental illness....

and how can you be so absolutely posative there is no good and evil? that is the thing i dont understand about athesists- they insist their word is fact, but yet they cannot offer anything to substantiate their claims....
HardcoreABN is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanPerformance

Owner, All American Performance

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4 cam , CNC LS3 heads, LS7 MAF, Kooks 2" primary tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, custom return style fuel system, custom direct port nitrous kit.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #49
1BadMood
DC Crew
 
1BadMood's Avatar
 
Posts: 471
Member #9239
Member since: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Balboa, CA

My Corvette(s)
2007 Triple Black Vert. Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
You want to talk about "evil", no one seems more evil than God himself. God has desire, God is jealous, God shows anger, God is destructive, destroys his own creations, God is boastful, God kills humans, Godtakes vengeance out on humans, God is violent, God shows favoritism, God is racist. God shows cruelty to animals.
1BadMood is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1BADMOOD
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #50
usasealx
DC Crew
 
usasealx's Avatar
 
Posts: 386
Member #114682
Member since: Oct 2010
Location: Palmdale, Ca. USA

My Corvette(s)
1986 Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darth... I'm just saying good and evil is not driven by any kind of divine powers...

Hitlers religion is still being debated today.. and even if he was, atheism has nothing to do with his actions.

Quote from Hitler from Mein Kampf. "... I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews. I am doing the Lord's work."

Hardcore, Its very ironic that you are saying atheists are unable to substantiate their claims coming from a religious individual.

Obviously there are things that are not smart to do (killing etc etc) but... We understand that because humans are smart enough to realize this, not because a divine being says so. Humans define "evil" not some sort of god. Being Atheist does not make me evil...just as being religious does not make anyone else good.

usasealx is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
General Motors ASEP Student, Cerritos College, Ca.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #51
1BadMood
DC Crew
 
1BadMood's Avatar
 
Posts: 471
Member #9239
Member since: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Balboa, CA

My Corvette(s)
2007 Triple Black Vert. Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
there is nothing stating they had severe mental retardation, much less any mental illness....

and how can you be so absolutely posative there is no good and evil? that is the thing i dont understand about athesists- they insist their word is fact, but yet they cannot offer anything to substantiate their claims....
As an Athiest, I have nothing to prove. I feel the way I feel after years of deep thought and consideration. On the other hand, you are a beliver, the burden of proof has to be on you. You make the claim that God exist, so prove it.
1BadMood is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1BADMOOD
Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #52
HardcoreABN
Account Disabled.
 
HardcoreABN's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,823
Member #36463
Member since: Jul 2005
Location: FT. Bragg/Fayetteville, NC

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Thanks: 83
Thanked 314 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadMood View Post
As an Athiest, I have nothing to prove. I feel the way I feel after years of deep thought and consideration. On the other hand, you are a beliver, the burden of proof has to be on you. You make the claim that God exist, so prove it.
it works both ways, you need to prove some supreme being does not exist, while those that belive need to prove some supreme being does exist. you cannot simply state your belief is fact because you say so.
HardcoreABN is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanPerformance

Owner, All American Performance

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4 cam , CNC LS3 heads, LS7 MAF, Kooks 2" primary tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, custom return style fuel system, custom direct port nitrous kit.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #53
usasealx
DC Crew
 
usasealx's Avatar
 
Posts: 386
Member #114682
Member since: Oct 2010
Location: Palmdale, Ca. USA

My Corvette(s)
1986 Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do I have to prove to you that the flying spaghetti monster does not exist? Your the one who's proposing god, therefore you are the one who needs to prove it. Based on what we know today, scientific evidence, and logic, it is more probable that there is no such being. Prove to me that the other 2k plus religious beings that have risen throughout history do not exist.

We are both atheist, I simply dismiss one more god than you do.
usasealx is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
General Motors ASEP Student, Cerritos College, Ca.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #54
92Roadster
 
Posts: 11,227
Member #36181
Member since: Jun 2005

Thanks: 321
Thanked 335 Times in 220 Posts
...do you recite the pledge of allegence to the flag or do you
avoid or mumble thru that part.....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #55
usasealx
DC Crew
 
usasealx's Avatar
 
Posts: 386
Member #114682
Member since: Oct 2010
Location: Palmdale, Ca. USA

My Corvette(s)
1986 Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I shouldn't spend my money too eh?
usasealx is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
General Motors ASEP Student, Cerritos College, Ca.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #56
1BadMood
DC Crew
 
1BadMood's Avatar
 
Posts: 471
Member #9239
Member since: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Balboa, CA

My Corvette(s)
2007 Triple Black Vert. Z51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usasealx View Post
do I have to prove to you that the flying spaghetti monster does not exist? Your the one who's proposing god, therefore you are the one who needs to prove it. Based on what we know today, scientific evidence, and logic, it is more probable that there is no such being. Prove to me that the other 2k plus religious beings that have risen throughout history do not exist.

We are both atheist, I simply dismiss one more god than you do.
Exactly.
1BadMood is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1BADMOOD
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #57
DarthAWM
DC Crew
 
DarthAWM's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,146
Member #83845
Member since: Apr 2009
Location: Odessa, TX

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe, 2000 Bowing Green Metalic Auto Coupe

Thanks: 33
Thanked 545 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usasealx View Post
Darth... I'm just saying good and evil is not driven by any kind of divine powers...

Hitlers religion is still being debated today.. and even if he was, atheism has nothing to do with his actions.

Quote from Hitler from Mein Kampf. "... I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews. I am doing the Lord's work."

Hardcore, Its very ironic that you are saying atheists are unable to substantiate their claims coming from a religious individual.

Obviously there are things that are not smart to do (killing etc etc) but... We understand that because humans are smart enough to realize this, not because a divine being says so. Humans define "evil" not some sort of god. Being Atheist does not make me evil...just as being religious does not make anyone else good.

Wait, you and bad mood spent the last page saying evil doesn't exist. The serial killers listed earlier knew their actions were wrong as viewed by society(unlike a mentally challenged individual) and thus hid them. However they were compelled to commit those actions over and over again. That to me and most others is the very definition of evil.

It is a separate argument weather there is evil or whether there is a Satan, Beelzebub, or other anti-God.

Also, I agree with you that being atheist is not evil nor is being religious good. Individuals are.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #58
MORLOK
Avatar King
 
MORLOK's Avatar
 
Posts: 996
Member #36363
Member since: Jul 2005
Location: Bismarck, ND

My Corvette(s)
2001 BLk/BLk Coupe

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
So... you don't believe that our universe was created by an invisible magic man in the sky?
I DO!! But I prefer to picture him as a Spaghetti Monster.

IMO: The idea that just because we cannot detect the existence of something concludes that it does not exist is mindless, especially from an evolutionary standpoint. (it also does not PROVE the existence, it is simply a mute point)

What if we had never evolved Eyes? We would never know about light, or the Stars, what if then a new being with eyes tried to tell us about light, we would probably kill him....
MORLOK is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" - Proverbs 3:5-6



"Always proclaim the gospel. If necessary, use words" - St. Francis of Assisi
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #59
Texdentist
 
Texdentist's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,253
Member #76657
Member since: Oct 2008
Location: Crowley, TX

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanks: 182
Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadMood View Post
As an Athiest, I have nothing to prove. I feel the way I feel after years of deep thought and consideration. On the other hand, you are a beliver, the burden of proof has to be on you. You make the claim that God exist, so prove it.
Neither side has to prove anything. Either there is room in your life for actions based on faith or there isn't. Makes no difference to me. People without faith always treat those with faith as if they are dull. I think that just shows a lack of understanding of faith. It doesn't matter to me whether my faith is proved correct in the long run or not. It adds things to my life that I value, so I'm happy either way.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #60
walleyfisher
DC Crew
 
walleyfisher's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,203
Member #81755
Member since: Feb 2009
Location: North of Illinois

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Thanks: 85
Thanked 127 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Neither side has to prove anything. Either there is room in your life for actions based on faith or there isn't. Makes no difference to me. People without faith always treat those with faith as if they are dull. I think that just shows a lack of understanding of faith. It doesn't matter to me whether my faith is proved correct in the long run or not. It adds things to my life that I value, so I'm happy either way.


What ever floats your boat in life and makes you a better person is all that matters Its when your will is forced on other views that rubs the wrong way.

For all the Atheists out there though I have a simple question:

What do the ten comandments mean to you, (by that I mean do you follow them (the ones that don't mention GOD)) and if you do, how do you explain where they came from?
walleyfisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved