Upgrade or Rape? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C2 Corvette Forums > C2 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C2 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:31 AM   #1
Tour18

Member #

Upgrade or Rape?

Would I be run off the site if I took a driver and put a C4 suspension under it? I would really like to have a hotted up roadster to drive around on weekends.

I bought a complete 96 suspension several years ago. It has been sitting in my garage just waiting for the moment...

However, recently I have been considering just selling it like I bought it. Reality is, most of my car time seems to be directed to new production rides.
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 06:48 AM   #2
64vette

Member #53

Tour18, we wouldn't run ya off the site, at least not until after the tar and feathers !!!!!!

Seriously, it's your car and your decision. Since I have a numbers matching C2, I would probably not consider such extensive modifications.

If it was a non-numbers matching driver, then I would go for it, given the availablility of parts and mechanical ability to complete the project.

The bottom line is that the majority of the folks on the forum like Vettes, all kinds of them, and while some may privately disagree with what some people do to their rides, I don't think you will get beat up on here for any of your choices.

JUST DO IT

And don't forget to take lots of pics of the conversion process to share with us.

64vette is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2003, 09:01 AM   #3
Tour18

Member #

Oh, I would never touch a real car. It would have to be something from a swap meet, a shell, a custom frame with an aftermarket body. I wouldn't even care if the doors didn't open... hehehe...

You know, something with a sheet aluminum interior that only looks like a Vette slot car... With a lumpity lump cam that makes dogs howl and sets off ricer car alarms when you drive by...

Old 10-13-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

I've long ago said that a c1/c2 with a modern power plant and a C4 suspension is JUST what I'll be doing when I have the time/money.

Your project sounds GREAT! Do it!
Patrick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Do it!! And post lots of pictures here.
I think that would be an awesome finished product.
raidmagic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
richscorvettes
DC Crew

Member #132

My Corvette(s)
1962, 1963 & 1967

It can be a great project and a lot of fun to build as well as drive the finished product. There is quite a bit to doing it though and getting the information on what's involved up-front will give you a better handle on what you will be facing.

If you decide to build one I'd be glad to try and help along the way.

Rich Lagasse
richscorvettes is offline   Quick reply to this message
New Web Site Pictures of 1962, 1963, 1966, 1967 1980, 2000 Corvettes and Garage Workshop: http://www.richsclassiccorvettes.com/
Old 10-15-2003, 05:27 PM   #7
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

I'd love to do a mid year as well. Only if it was kinda shreaded beforehand, though. However, a car as nice as Brian's (64vette) should remain as such.

Seems to be a increasingly more popular project.

I wonder if the conversion is less expensive, than say, doing a "correct" restoration project?

edit: do it.
bkuper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 10-15-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
richscorvettes
DC Crew

Member #132

My Corvette(s)
1962, 1963 & 1967

Brian,

From an expense standpoint you can often end up doing two projects at the same time; the conversion itself and whatever restoration is needed. It all depends on the car you have as a starting point, how much of the work you decide to do yourself and how far you want to go with the conversion.

Since most of the conversions start with a rough car, many of the same areas need to be done as with a restoration. Added to that is the cost of the suspension, drive-train, the chassis conversion and the custom pieces needed to make it all work.

It's a fun project and great for someone wanting the classic styling along with an improvement in ride and handling.

Rich Lagasse
richscorvettes is offline   Quick reply to this message
New Web Site Pictures of 1962, 1963, 1966, 1967 1980, 2000 Corvettes and Garage Workshop: http://www.richsclassiccorvettes.com/
Old 10-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #9
Tour18

Member #

Wow guys, I never got so much encouragement from anyone or anywhere.

I was at a swap meet one day and right there in front of the whole world was a complete C4 suspension right down to the torque tube and drive shaft. I mean no grease, no grooved rotors, labels and stickers, front and rear, hub to hub, cross member, brake lines, shocks, springs swaybars and brackets, EVERYTHING.

I was driving a C4 at the time and there was no way I was going to leave without all of it.

Sometimes I set it up on the floor, put my roll around stool where a seat goes and make throttle/shifting noises just like a kid.

Guess I better get off my butt and do something with it...
Old 10-16-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
Bob88
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1057

My Corvette(s)
88 convertible

Quote:
Originally posted by Tour18 ...<br>

I was at a swap meet one day and right there in front of the whole world was a complete C4 suspension right down to the torque tube and drive shaft. I mean no grease, no grooved rotors, labels and stickers, front and rear, hub to hub, cross member, brake lines, shocks, springs swaybars and brackets, EVERYTHING.

I was driving a C4 at the time and there was no way I was going to leave without all of it.

Sometimes I set it up on the floor, put my roll around stool where a seat goes and make throttle/shifting noises just like a kid.

Guess I better get off my butt and do something with it...<br>

Thats what makes this forum so great. Lots of vette folks with lots of different ideas. Everyone respects everyone else and enjoys hearing and seeing other ideas and projects. No other forum like it.

Roll around stool.
Bob88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
1988 Competition Yellow convertible

Your Proctologist called, he found your head.

"My dog Minton ate two shuttlecocks yesterday."
"Bad Minton."

Open air box, K & N, Throttle body bypass, Air Foil, AFPR. Brodix heads, Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers, Lingenfelter cam, Superram, 2800 stall torque converter, 3:54 rear, Melrose exhaust system, long tube headers, 3" high flow cats, LT1 mufflers. ZR1 rims 17 x 9.5 front with 275's and 17 x 11 rear with 315's
Old 10-16-2003, 08:39 PM   #11
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Quote:
Originally posted by Tour18 ...<br>

Guess I better get off my butt and do something with it...<br>

At least you don't break any parts that way.
raidmagic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2003, 02:47 AM   #12
90EXPVette
DC Crew

Member #419

That would be awesome there was a guy on the other forum a couple of years ago that took a 96 GS and mounted a 63 body on it...had all 96 instruments in the 63 interior. It was very sweeet!
90EXPVette is offline   Quick reply to this message
1990 Midnight Blue Pearl Corvette, Z-51, 6 Speed, Ansa Performance Mufflers, Walker rear Y, ZR-1 Wheels, K&N + open lid, chip, GS Flares.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:32 AM   #13
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally posted by 90EXPVette ...<br>
That would be awesome there was a guy on the other forum a couple of years ago that took a 96 GS and mounted a 63 body on it...had all 96 instruments in the 63 interior. It was very sweeet!<br>
I saw that car. But, that car has vanished and I haven't heard another thing about it... or seen it anywhere.

If anyone can find a web site for that car, that'd be cOOL!
Patrick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2003, 10:21 PM   #14
Tour18

Member #

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to put 63-67 roadster bodywork on something like a 53-62 tube frame for C4 suspension like SRIII Motorsports makes?

Or, why none of the frame guys are making staight up tube frames for C2's?

What I would want would be essentially a street legal race car. Aluminum interior, seats, a shifter, and a C2 Roadster body.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
rthouck
DC Crew

Member #108236

My Corvette(s)
1968 427/4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour18 View Post
Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to put 63-67 roadster bodywork on something like a 53-62 tube frame for C4 suspension like SRIII Motorsports makes?

Or, why none of the frame guys are making staight up tube frames for C2's?

What I would want would be essentially a street legal race car. Aluminum interior, seats, a shifter, and a C2 Roadster body.
Do a google search there are plenty of frames out there for those cars.
rthouck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in