SCCA Road Raqcing - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE Discuss racing, car prep, racing schools, HPDE's, and other track topics.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #16
Storm King

Member #3055

Great thanks, I am still reading and look at all the possibilities, and what is out there that I can afford. I am a lowly Fire Fighter. I work for the Government. Low $$$$. I know that I will get lapped many times. I also have not talked to my parole/loan officer (the wife) yet if it is even possible. I am trying to get as much information as possible before I make my presentation. What I was looking for is to be able to drive the car to the track, race and drive home...If possible. I am trying to keep the car edge of street legal with some mod and race in a class with other cars that are some what the same. If I get lapped so be it, I am having fun driving and its a Corvette. Trailered cars are a whole nother gig that I am not ready for, I have to start low and slow. If I happen to not like it. I have not dumped wads of money in it and I still have a Corvette that is fun to drive. Is there a class that I would fit in driving a C5?
Storm King is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #17
RT66Z06

Member #48

Quote:
Originally posted by Storm King ...<br>
Is there a class that I would fit in driving a C5?<br>
SCCA Solo II SuperStock (SS). You won't get lapped, ever.
RT66Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2003, 02:50 PM   #18
Storm King

Member #3055

Why will I not get lapped? is there passing? or is this autocross?You have to treat me like a kid I or Sgt. Shultz "I know nothing" So please explain.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #19
RT66Z06

Member #48

Quote:
Why will I not get lapped? is there passing? or is this autocross?You have to treat me like a kid I or Sgt. Shultz "I know nothing" So please explain.<br>
Of course.

In one post you wrote

Quote:
I don't plan to be competive [sic]
If you don't plan on being competitive you'll end up a moving chicane on the track. The other guys who are competitive are not going to very happy about that and it's not very sporting to expect them to be.

In another post you wrote

Quote:
If I get lapped so be it
If you don't plan on being competitive, count on being lapped, again, and again, and again, until eventually you're involved in a shunt, damaging your car and potentially others. No one will be happy about that.

In a third post you wrote

Quote:
What I was looking for is to be able to drive the car to the track, race and drive home...If possible.
Okay, quite simply those days ended in the early 1960's. You simply can not race without safety equipment, including a cage, and all the other required stuff (see an earlier post for a detailed list of the stuff). Even SCCA Solo I, which gets you out on a race track for hot laps with no other cars requires essentially the same equipment you need for SCCA T1. Technically these cars are supposed to be "showroom stock". They still have the cats, the lights, etc., but they are hardly capable of literally being driven several hundred miles to and from an event (the suspension settings for track use make the car a tail-happy accident-waiting-to-happen on the freeway). Besides, are you going to drive to and from the event on your race tires? I know you don't plan on being competitive, but do you have any idea how fragile tires are that are molded to racing-depth? What happens if you get a flat?

Are there guys that do drive a car to the track and race it? Yep. A few of them even win. But these guys are very experienced mechanics above all else.

The only series where you can "run what you brung" and drive it to and from the track, is SCCA Solo II, aka autocross. This is the only series where all you need is a cheap helmet and your OEM 3-point seat belts (okay, they do make you take all the loose stuff out of the back, but that's about it for tech inspection).

As I pointed out previously, the best way to find out if you even like road racing is to rent a ride. Or attend a driving school (you actually have to do the latter before the former). Bondurant, Justin Bell (not far from you near Palm Beach), or any of a dozen other SCCA-approved and non-approved schools will give you training and a feel for what it is really like. You'd be amazed how many people decide that wearing long underwear in July in Chandler, Arizona is not fun at all. Some of them quit on day one of the program (and it's in the contract, no refunds). My advice is to find out if this is really something you want to do before you spend any money on a car, any car.

Therefore asking for detailed information on car setup, costs, etc., is purely academic and premature.

Something you might want to consider: Solo II actually requires more car control skills than road racing. Sound odd? Consider that in Solo II you get a total of three runs on the course, you don't get any practice laps, you have to memorize the course, and most Solo II courses are designed by the Miata Owners Club and therefore are a bitch to drive a Corvette on. Therefore missing one apex by 6 inches will leave you well down in the standings. In road racing, you get practice laps, and the race lasts from 30-50 minutes so blowing one corner or one whole lap isn't all that bad, but it's going to cost you a small fortune.

Imagine if someone said to you "Tell me everything I need to know to be a fireman, bearing in mind that I'm really not all that interested in getting near fire, but I like riding on the truck".
Old 10-21-2003, 04:30 PM   #20
Gary04Z06

Member #2161

Quote:
Originally posted by RT66Z06 ...<br>
Of course.

As I pointed out previously, the best way to find out if you even like road racing is to rent a ride. Or attend a driving school (you actually have to do the latter before the former). Bondurant, Justin Bell (not far from you near Palm Beach), or any of a dozen other SCCA-approved and non-approved schools will give you training and a feel for what it is really like. You'd be amazed how many people decide that wearing long underwear in July in Chandler, Arizona is not fun at all. Some of them quit on day one of the program (and it's in the contract, no refunds). My advice is to find out if this is really something you want to do before you spend any money on a car, any car.
Just an FYI..Justin bell is out of business.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=668270
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2003, 04:40 PM   #21
RT66Z06

Member #48

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary96LT4 ...<br>
Just an FYI..Justin bell is out of business.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=668270<br>
That's a pity. I think that leaves only Bondurant and Bragg-Smith as far as Corvette-based schools go. Somebody should tell the webmaster for

http://www.justinbellgt.com

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:27 PM   #22
Storm King

Member #3055

What I ment, I did not want to give you the wrong impression. I will not be running up and down the track like A.J Foyt. I will be terrible, my driving will suck ( I'm being realistic) I will be driving as hard as I can, but it will be like trying to out run Carl Lewis in the 100' dash I would be no compition to him. I will as aggressive as I possobly can, I know I will be lapped and passed that is the facts, It will not bother me, I will not like it. It will make me want to drive faster, but I will understand, and I don't expect to be good, that will come in time. I just want to know where I will fit in and how modify the car.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #23
RT66Z06

Member #48

Quote:
What I ment, I did not want to give you the wrong impression. I will not be running up and down the track like A.J Foyt. I will be terrible, my driving will suck ( I'm being realistic) I will be driving as hard as I can, but it will be like trying to out run Carl Lewis in the 100' dash I would be no compition to him. I will as aggressive as I possobly can, I know I will be lapped and passed that is the facts, It will not bother me, I will not like it. It will make me want to drive faster, but I will understand, and I don't expect to be good, that will come in time. I just want to know where I will fit in and how modify the car.<br>
Okay. What parts of the car do you want to modify?

Are you more comfortable with a car that understeers, or a car that oversteers?

Will you tolerate a very harsh ride on the street in exchange for suspension geometry that will keep the contact patches on the track as much as possible, or is compliance over rough roads a priority?

Do you want a powertrain that is reliable and produces less power, or do you want to produce maximum power at the expense of reliability and longevity?

Will specific shock valve sizes help? How about wheel rates versus spring rates? Anti-roll bar diameter and bushing selection? Is reducing unspung weight important to you?

Help me out here. Exactly what is it you want to modify, and what car were you thinking of modifying? Do I see a troll behind that rock?

I think I found you a car:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...category=19022

Ray

Last edited by RT66Z06; 10-21-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:45 PM   #24
Storm King

Member #3055

Now youre talking.. imagine the power to wieght ratio with that baby when you drop in a 350. I'd have to tighten up the suspension though, and its a little shy on leg room.

I see now that there is more to road racing than I thought for the novice. I knew that I would have to go to driving school, that was a gimme. Now I realize that I will also need a truck and a trailer, just to get the car there. And I'm not totally stupid, I knew you would have to build a car or prep it for racing. I'm not interested in driving around cones. I had to do that with a fire engine to be promoted to Engineer, to many bad memories. Once agine you have to be rich to play. That is a fraternity that ordinary people can't join. Plus I don't like being made fun of, when I was looking for information. Maybe it ia a fraternity that I don't want to join.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:18 AM   #25
TZ Racer
DC Crew

Member #1383

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-top, Big Block

Quote:
Once agine you have to be rich to play. That is a fraternity that ordinary people can't join. Plus I don't like being made fun of, when I was looking for information. Maybe it ia a fraternity that I don't want to join.<br>
Storm King,

Some of the replies have been brutally honest. Unfortunately, road racing takes a lot of $$. It would be an injustice to not give it to you straight.

I am just a lowly paid teacher who is addicted to the sport. I started out in'92 with a '68 Corvette that was as race prepped as you could get it. Even back then, driving my butt off, I couldn't beat the good tubeframe cars. That is why I have gradually worked my way up to a good (but used) GT1 tubeframe car. This year I restored my street Vette and have done no racing.

The SCCA racing fraternity is great! Although, I'd say you have to earn the respect of the other drivers. If you really have a desire to race door-to-door, the best thing you can do for your $$, is the arrive-n-drive. You can do that for Driver's School at an SCCA school and for your first few races. That will give you a good idea of what it is all about. It may change your thinking on what car and what class you want to run. It may confirm what you already think.

Don't give it up! See for yourself. You'll either be addicted and then poor you or you may find out it isn't what you want.

I'll be happy to chat on the phone with you if you'd like.
TZ Racer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Dave Bacher
'71 T-Top, Big Block, Black/Black aka Bruiser
http://www.tropiczoneracing.com
Old 10-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #26
Storm King

Member #3055

Oh god I'm talking to a teacher, please don't correct my grammer and spelling.

I'm sorry for lassing out, I was frusrated. . All your suggestion are great . The problem is that I am already addicted. I used to race motorcycles, FZ 600, GSXR 750 at Moroso, Robeling RD, Gainsville. (Shh....street). I had a good time I just don't have the nerve for dragging my knee anymore. My job is too important for me to be laid up with an injury, also I am too old. I need steel around me. Every time I see a race on TV I get itchy. I love the TT (Isle of Man), You have to see that. These guys take thier street bikes or all out racers to this town Isle Of Man, Scottland. Qualify and race at 150 -190 MPH on the edge of out of controll, through this town COOL to say the least. They are just ordinary guys no big names.

I was trying to figure out away to race agine, but I just don't know. I want drive a car that I like. I have been around Fords all my life, I even restored a 68 Deluxe Mustang, 289 4v car, 4 spd. top loader, 9" 350 posi factory origional with all the dealer ship options. I did other tricks to it, but you could not tell used all the origional parts (Gold trophie winner). I worked for Orlando Mustang and have worked on and drove some vey rare cars. 68 KR 500GT Covertible, Canary Yellow, 1 of 5 cars ever made. I got to grind the paint off the rocker panels looking rust be fore it was restored. That car was a heavy beast. 71 Gulf Stream Aqua Shelby, origonal 427 side oiler, brutal. And others more ordinary

I love cars!!!! I love the C5 vette. The body style turns me on. Out of the box performance. I want race a car that I like, and I like the vette. The way it is set up. I would have to do to much to the Ford. Please don't knock me for talking about Fords on vette web site. I can not stress to you how much I like that car. I just don't really know that much about it. just what I have been told and I know racing just not the SCCA. Motorcycles are easy, Cheap and fast. you just have to have big B__ls. I have a friend thats Bow Tie through out, and he knows vettes, but he is a drag racer. He is a dealer and a mechanic he knows that car and understands how set it up, but he also knows squat aout the SCCA. That is why I am researching.

I have other issues with the wife, and I don't think you want to go there.Now you have some back ground on me. It is a dream that may never happen, but I don't if I don't try.

Dave.

407-695-9110
Orlando, Fl.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:59 AM   #27
TZ Racer
DC Crew

Member #1383

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-top, Big Block

Storm King,

Another avenue of information is http://www.sccaforums.com/

These are mostly SCCA racers/workers and the T1 group should be able to give you more insight.

The arrive-n-drive may be your best option with the wife too. Little permanent committment. (No car sitting there...no constant irritation) Just approach it like it is your vacation $$ and race weekend is your vacation.

This is a nasty addiction we have. Luckily my wife likes the racing too and we give up a lot of other things to be able to do it. I usually get in about 4 races a year. We spread them out so I'll get my "doses" regularly and keep the addition in check.
TZ Racer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Dave Bacher
'71 T-Top, Big Block, Black/Black aka Bruiser
http://www.tropiczoneracing.com
Old 12-15-2003, 01:16 PM   #28
Z06-NOMAD

Member #5542

Have you considered Track Days?

I used to do motorcycle track days too, and the wife was getting a bit nervous. I got an 02 Z06 and I do High performance driving events every 2 months or so. It is not competitive, but you can go as fast as you want. It is definitely a big compromise BUT you get the best of both worlds too.

You can have a nice street car. You don't need the $ 20,000 that was mentioned for race prep or tow vehicle, trailer etc ( You can drive back and forth to the track). You can take friends IN the car with you (My wife rides with me once in a while and is very cool with it). It is VERY rare that there is any car to car contact (never seen it in several years).

The Z06 is virtually "track ready" for this kind of thing and there is very little prep before and after an event compared to a full race car.

If you are used to literally betting your life, skin and bones every time you go out on the track on a bike, betting that there is a very small chance you bend your car is small change in comparison...

Check out...

http://www.performance-drivers-club....useaction=home

I know it's not the answer to your question, but it could be THE answer.

Michael D.
02 Z06
Z06-NOMAD is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in