Saw a Smart car today what was left of it - Page 7 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #91
E_Tar

Member #64303

My Corvette(s)
1970_C3_Stingray 2003_C5_Coupe (Sold) 1977_C3_Coupe (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post

Smart cars are not safe nor smart.
But seriously...

What is so smart about it?? It's small and actually pretty damned idiotic...
E_Tar is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
- 2001 C5
- 2001 Dodge Viper GTS

-
1977, 1970 C3, 2003 C5 (Sold)

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #92
scottq60
DC Crew

Member #44984

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red Z06 (traded), 2013 torch red Corvette GS

Quote:
So now we're comparing the inadequate riding abilities of some motorcylce operators to the safety or lack there of with a Smart car???? Way to spin.

Smart cars are not safe nor smart.
My point was that if you're looking at it from a pure "survivability" standpoint...SMART cars are safer than motorcycles because they offer more protection.

I don't understand the whole point of this argument about SMART cars NOT BEING SAFE because of their size....it should be pretty obvious that they're not as safe as most vehicles that are larger/heavier (I know there are exceptions).

If no one was ever willing to take the slightest risk in life, we'd all live in a reinforced, germ-free bubble, avoiding all potentially dangerous contact with anyone or anything. Now THAT's LIVING!

Being a pedestrian is potentially life-threatening
Riding a bicycle, skateboard, skis, roller-skates, motorcycle, etc. is potentially life threatening.

People have been killed while driving vehicles of ALL sizes/makes...

so this whole "SMART CARS ARE NOT SAFE" hype is just that....HYPE.

Is the potential for death resulting from collision with a semi or large SUV greater if you're in a SMART car rather than something larger/heavier??? MOST LIKELY....

People are risking their lives every day just by getting on a road/highway with other drivers/vehicles present or not present.

Just sayin'....
scottq60 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2013 Torch Red Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
bone stock (for now)

2015 Race Red Mustang GT coupe (base)
5.0/6-spd manual

Who says a guy can't like Vettes AND Mustangs

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps313121a6.jpg
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #93
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
The time will come when all cars have downsized that these cars will be practical. But if you do lots of driving on freeways in a metropolitan area, I just think their size disadvantage make them too risky. If you commute from home to work and never hit a freeway, maybe practical. My wife is a home health nurse and travels all over a 4 million person metro area every day. She has been wanting one of these to save on gas. I keep resisting because of safety and most of her driving is freeway. This thread might help her change her mind.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #94
gerry miller
DC Crew

Member #72529

My Corvette(s)
2005 c6

Nice ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottq60 View Post
My point was that if you're looking at it from a pure "survivability" standpoint...SMART cars are safer than motorcycles because they offer more protection.

I don't understand the whole point of this argument about SMART cars NOT BEING SAFE because of their size....it should be pretty obvious that they're not as safe as most vehicles that are larger/heavier (I know there are exceptions).

If no one was ever willing to take the slightest risk in life, we'd all live in a reinforced, germ-free bubble, avoiding all potentially dangerous contact with anyone or anything. Now THAT's LIVING!

Riding a bicycle, skateboard, skis, roller-skates, motorcycle, etc. is potentially life threatening.

Is the potential for death resulting from collision with a semi or large SUV greater if you're in a SMART car rather than something larger/heavier??? MOST LIKELY....

People are risking their lives every day just by getting on a road/highway with other drivers/vehicles present or not present.

Just sayin'....
Most reasonable sane argument on this thread. It was interesting .
gerry miller is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #95
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

Just sayin'....
Even though this accident involved an 18 wheeler, statistically, the odds are that if you are involved in an accident, it will probably be with another car. In that event, you are certainly better off if you are in a vehicle of the same or larger size. At 60 mph on a freeway, I would rather have 3000 lb. vs. 3000 lb than 1500 lb vs 3000 lb.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #96
scottq60
DC Crew

Member #44984

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Even though this accident involved an 18 wheeler, statistically, the odds are that if you are involved in an accident, it will probably be with another car. In that event, you are certainly better off if you are in a vehicle of the same or larger size. At 60 mph on a freeway, I would rather have 3000 lb. vs. 3000 lb than 1500 lb vs 3000 lb.
I absolutely agree...and the chance of me getting killed on my motorcycle is surely greater than if I'm in a SMART car or other cage...

But I'm not gonna quit riding just cause I'm more likely to get killed on my bike than in a car. I wanna LIVE my life...not worry about statistics...
bone stock (for now)

5.0/6-spd manual

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #97
Cole M
DC Crew

Member #5699

Unhappy

Quote:
And what percentage of accidents are 70mph barrier crashes???? Theses "tests" are a joke. That's only two cars hitting each other at 35 mph! I wouldn't call that a real world comparison!

Let's look at just a couple "real world" situations...

But hell yeah!! This one against a fixed wall is realistic!

And if this imbicel owns one, well then, they must be good!
http://www.winnipegheights.com/forum...d.php?t=135661
I found the link to some of those photos, the guy in the black smart car was ripped in half!
Cole M is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #98
scottq60
DC Crew

Member #44984

My Corvette(s)

I don't think I'd fair any better if that semi tractor climbed the front of my Z or ran over my motorcycle.
bone stock (for now)

5.0/6-spd manual

Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #99
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
I don't think I'd fair any better if that semi tractor climbed the front of my Z or ran over my motorcycle.

You keep copy and pasting the same thing!
blckslvr79 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #100
Blk50thVette

Member #63365

My Corvette(s)
Sold

Quote:
But I'm not gonna quit riding just cause I'm more likely to get killed on my bike than in a car. I wanna LIVE my life...not worry about statistics...
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Blk50thVette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Hail to the Infantry!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #101
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

Just be careful. We had two motorcycle deaths this weekend in Ft. Worth. Both were experienced middle aged bikers who somehow got in a bind and lost control. Keep alert and wear a helmet.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #102
scottq60
DC Crew

Member #44984

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

You keep copy and pasting the same thing!
Nearly...but not quite.

I just think it's a bit hilarious all the commotion about the SMART cars "lack of safety"...

I can't recall the last time I heard such an outcry over an "unsafe" vehicle...let's see...must have been the Pinto...or maybe the Corvair.

People who buy these cars know what they're getting when they buy them...or they should, if they've done any research at all. If not, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I just don't think everyone's tuning into DC and canceling their orders or purchases of SMART cars because of what they see/read here.

I believe most of them are making adult decisions based on advertised fuel economy. If that's the case, and they're adults...they accept the risks when they take delivery.
bone stock (for now)

5.0/6-spd manual

Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #103
scottq60
DC Crew

Member #44984

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Just be careful. We had two motorcycle deaths this weekend in Ft. Worth. Both were experienced middle aged bikers who somehow got in a bind and lost control. Keep alert and wear a helmet.
Thanks!

I always ride defensively and ALWAYS wear a helmet. I realize (despite my 35+ years of riding experience) mine could be the next death by motorcycle accident. That's the risk I take...there are no guarantees for any of us, despite experience, training, protective equipment, etc.
bone stock (for now)

5.0/6-spd manual

Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #104
RKT ROY
DC Crew

Member #51410

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Coupe MN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
They let you split lanes again in CA? They stopped that after I left in 1990. It sure made the commute a lot faster when I did it.

I'm not aware that they ever stopped. If so I've been breaking the law all this time and the cops have been ignoring me. Last time I checked the CA vehicle code (a year or so ago) splitting lanes was not prohibited. It is officer's discretion if he wants to pull over a rider for being unsafe.
Cheers.
Roy.
RKT ROY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RKT ROY

2001 Coupe, Callaway Honker & Throttle Body, Granatelli MAF, 160 deg thermostat, Pfadt oil cooler, CCA PCV Oil Catch Can, MagnaFlow xpipe & exhaust, SLP tune, Taylor ThunderVolt wires, Kirban shifter, Fidanza flywheel, Spec performance clutch, Tick clutch master cylinder, Sparco Evo seat, Simpson harnesses, AZ Speed & Marine harness bar with fire ext. & camera mount, Pfadt camber plates, Hotchkis sway bars, NAPA rotors, Ate Super Blue, Hawk HP+ pads, ACI front brake ducts, Hoosier R6 285/30R18 F, 315/30R18 R track tires, Underguards, Pfadt front tow loop, DrawTite hitch
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #105
Caged_Bird
I support glass stairways

Member #64168

My Corvette(s)
1983, The one.

Quote:
Nearly...but not quite.

I just think it's a bit hilarious all the commotion about the SMART cars "lack of safety"...

I can't recall the last time I heard such an outcry over an "unsafe" vehicle...let's see...must have been the Pinto...or maybe the Corvair.

People who buy these cars know what they're getting when they buy them...or they should, if they've done any research at all. If not, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I just don't think everyone's tuning into DC and canceling their orders or purchases of SMART cars because of what they see/read here.

I believe most of them are making adult decisions based on advertised fuel economy. If that's the case, and they're adults...they accept the risks when they take delivery.
If that's so, then that means that, as an adult, I can make adult decisions that affect my life like, oh, I don't know, choosing to wear my seatbelt or not?

I always do, hell, half the time my seatbelt is on before I crank the engine but I don't like the fact that Sammy says I HAVE to when operating a motor vehicle yet that guy who just passed by on a motorcycle doesn't have to wear one.

I'm an adult, and can make adult decisions that affect my life, or can I?
Caged_Bird is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'77 350 4-bolt bored .030 over, stock crank and rods, KB hypereutectic pistons, Comp 275DEH cam, ported and polished vortec heads, Comp Valve Springs, Harland Sharp fulcrum roller rockers 1.5:1, custom length Manley pushrods, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley fuel pump, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, MSD Streetfire Dizzy, Taylor spark plug wires, modded 700-R4, 3:55 rear gears, TCI roll control, upgraded front and rear suspension. B&M Megashifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
The only "enemies" that fear Obama is taxpayers..
First went Exotix, now Dune, I'd be careful if I were you, Machine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in