How to Correctly Install and Adjust C4 Roofs - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
melrose
Supporting Vendor

Member #75508

How to Correctly Install and Adjust C4 Roofs

Factory correct C4 roof installation procedure

Melrose T-Top Int. has been in the Corvette business for over 30 years. In that time we have taken lead position as the most reputable GM licensed aftermarket supplier of Corvette roofs and t-tops in the industry.
That being said, I feel comfortable explaining to you what seems to be a gray area in the Corvette world regarding replacement roof installation and adjustment. Most C4 Corvette owners don’t lend much thought to their tops as being an integral part of the vehicle’s structural integrity. The C4 however was initially designed as T-bar vehicle like the C3’s, and it wasn’t until a GM exec ordered the car be converted to a targa model, the engineers realized they had a problem. With the T-bar removed handling characteristics suffered greatly due to torsional flexibility. Unfortunately for us the only viable solution to this was an inconvenient bolt in bulky style targa roof.

The first thing you want to do when purchasing a new roof is verify the year of the roof on your car. Even though your car may be a 1988 it could have been converted at one point. Sound unlikely? GM sold a kit for many years to convert 84-88 Corvettes to the third design 89-96 roof styles. This was due in part to the fact that only one roof design was available and it generated more income selling and installing the kits. So, how do I determine my roof year design? You can compare your front mounting hardware with chart below or measure between your front mounting bolts.

Measured from bolt to bolt O.C. across top of windshield frame.
· 1st design 84 - Early 86 28.5”
· 2nd design Late 86-88 31.5”
· 3rd design 89-96 32.5”

1984 - 1996 Roof Panel Hardware Detail

We have established the structural importance of the C4 targa style roof and it’s different designs. Now we can discuss how to properly install it, or better yet, how not to. Start by parking your vehicle on flat ground, and inflating all tires to factory specs then follow the instructions below per your specific vehicle year.

1st design 84-Early 86 front adjustments-

1. Make sure front cone / plate assembly is loose enough to move by hand.
2. Set the roof on the car and tighten rear center bolts. If bolts are being difficult to start, recheck to make sure roof is centered, and have a second person push roof towards back of car to help compress the new weatherstrip.
3. Tighten the outer two rear locator bolts on each side.
4. Tighten front mounting bolts. You may need to move the plate assembly around while trying to line up and tighten front mounting bolts with other hand.
5. Tighten cones with thin 1 1/8” installation wrench as seen here:

- 84-E86 Install wrench

6. Loosen center front mounting bolts. Retighten front bolts paying close attention to when front of the roof’s lens makes an even contact with the windshield weatherstrip. The front edge should only put approximately 1/8” of pressure on the weatherstrip for proper sealing as front bolts are tightened. Too much pressure may cause warps, cracks, or other problems. Too little pressure may result in air or water leaks. If you feel there is too much pressure being put onto the front of the lens please refer to 2nd design install instruction below to adjust front roof mounting brackets.

2nd and 3rd design, Late 86-96 front adjustments
1. Drop front upper windshield trim panel by removing 5 Phillips screws (1 rear view mirror screw and 4 outer)
2. Remove front upper roof mounting bracket covers via 2 Phillip screws per side
3. Remove 5/16” visor nuts and pop off spring retaining washers using a flat screwdriver
4. Visors will slide out and allow entire trim panel, mirror, and visors to hang

5. Go to roof and make sure front plate assembly on roof is loose enough to move by hand.
6. Set the roof on the car and tighten rear center bolts. If bolts are being difficult to start, recheck to make sure roof os centered, and have a second person push roof towards back of car to help compress the new weathertstrip.
7. Tighten the outer two rear locator bolts.
8. Tighten center front mounting bolts. You may need to move the plate assembly around while trying to line up and tighten front mounting bolts with other hand

9. Tighten outer front roof plate bolts
10. Loosen center front mounting bolts. Retighten front bolts paying close attention to when front of the roof’s lens makes an even contact with the windshield weatherstrip. The front edge should only put approximately 1/8” of pressure on the westherstrip for proper sealing as front bolts are tightened. Too much pressure may cause warps, cracks, or other problems. Too little pressure may result in air or water leaks.
11. If you feel there is too much pressure on the front of the lens, loosen the front mounting brackets and move upward as necessary. (Tip- mark the windshield frame where bracket is sitting before you loosen it, so you have a origin to return to if needed)

12. Once roof is adjusted reassemble trim parts in reverse order. Pay attention to rear view mirror wires so they don’t get pinched.

Note-
· There are many people installing cheap aftermarket weatherstrips on their cars these days. Sometimes you don’t have a choice, but if you do, always try to find something as close to the factory latex covered foam type weatherstripping. Avoid the rubber (gummy bear) feeling stuff. It doesn’t compress very well and causes damage in many cases to Corvette transparent roofs. If you install these on your car you must readjust your front mounting brackets.

· Shims may be added or removed behind rear brackets to adjust rear roof gap, though this is most often not needed. Drop rear trim panel to access rear mounting brackets.
melrose is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Melrose T-Top Int. http://www.melrosecorvette.com
Melrose Headers- www.melroseheaders.com
E-mail- [email protected] ph (815) 758-2783

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering"- Bruce Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Great tech info!

I never knew the C4 was originally meant to have a t-bar, thanks for the info.

Dan85Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Awesome!!
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
shakedown067
DC Crew

Member #87846

My Corvette(s)
1996 Black LT-1

Wow, that all makes a ton of sense. Nice to know the front mounts can be adjusted. Probably explains why my just two year old weatherstripping (GM) is all ready looking like hell.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

Awesome article...

Can you put a question to bed for me once and for all? Can a '90 top frame be retro-fit to an '85 car? If so, I'll be buying the necessary bits from you.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

Good information here - so I made it a sticky!

Steven
OldVetteFan is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
lsejlowe
DC Pit Crew

Member #6680

My Corvette(s)
black '69 350/350 4spd

wow, great write-up
lsejlowe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Optimists think the glass is half full.
Pessimists think the glass is half empty.
Engineers realize it's twice as big as it needs to be.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
colt
DC Crew

Member #85307

Last edited by colt; 04-17-2012 at 03:29 AM.
colt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Great info, for some reason the top brackets and the fit to different years has always been a mystery. Thanks for posting that.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
-=Jeff=-
El Teafive

Member #2

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 #1051

Chris knows his stuff.. the top on my ZR-1 was adjusted by him when I bought it at Bloomington Gold

I Would without a doubt, ALWAYS buy an Targa tops from Melrose
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-=Jeff=-
1990 ZR-1 #1051
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Useful Links: C4 Tech info|C3 Tech Info|Adam's Polishes
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
melrose
Supporting Vendor

Member #75508

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Awesome article...

Can you put a question to bed for me once and for all? Can a '90 top frame be retro-fit to an '85 car? If so, I'll be buying the necessary bits from you.

Xqizt- Yes it can. You will need to purchase the 90 front plates as seen in the photos above that mount to the windshield frame. You will also need purchase new top plastic covers and trim panel where the rear view mirror mounts. I just checked and we don't have any 89-96 front plates. We usually have to buy them from salvage yards and they will range anywhere from $20-$50 ea.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose View Post
Xqizt- Yes it can. You will need to purchase the 90 front plates as seen in the photos above that mount to the windshield frame. You will also need purchase new top plastic covers and trim panel where the rear view mirror mounts. I just checked and we don't have any 89-96 front plates. We usually have to buy them from salvage yards and they will range anywhere from $20-$50 ea.
OK...so there is no way to change the TOP, you have to change the CAR.

The reason I am asking all this is because I was about to purchase a 90 solid top to use on my 85 when I don't want to use my clear top.

So in my situation it seems like I need to find a 84-86E top.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
melrose
Supporting Vendor

Member #75508

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
Any chance you could also post the instructions with regards to placing a dollar bill under the front of the top in the center, left side, and right side. Tighten the top down. Then pull the 3 dollar bills out to tell how tight the top is? I know the Melrose guy on the other forum mentioned this.

I think that is an important check to do so you don't get wind noise and rain cause the top isn't down far enough, but also can tell the top isn't down too far which could damage the top. And it would also be a good idea to do this check if you ever replace the windshield weatherstripping.

And any chance you could let me know what brand weatherstripping you put on my top? PM would be fine. Reason is, I think the weatherstripping that came on the top feels better than the Willcox stuff I was gonna use. It is a little softer and feels more like OEM. I may have to replace the windshield weatherstripping at some point in the future, and I would like to use the same brand weatherstripping that came on my top.
Place a couple bills along front edge on top of gasket (not where bills will bind up on anything)

Tighten roof and tug on bills. If they pull out easily- your roof is probably too loose. If they won't pull out easily the roof may be too tight. A certain amount of common sense must be used here. If the bills pull out easy, but your roof does not leak air or water leave the car alone. If they are difficult to pull out it may be too tight. Obviously if your roof has been on your car for a year or more and youdon't have any problems with it leave it alone. This is mainly used to eliminate new install overtightening.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
melrose
Supporting Vendor

Member #75508

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
OK...so there is no way to change the TOP, you have to change the CAR.

The reason I am asking all this is because I was about to purchase a 90 solid top to use on my 85 when I don't want to use my clear top.

So in my situation it seems like I need to find a 84-86E top.
Correct, find the correct year top.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
vettecop
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #8238

My Corvette(s)
2006 Coupe, 1995 Pace Car, 1982

Great info!!!

Thanks for the post.
vettecop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink."
-W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in