Lowering a C4 with a twist & Pics! - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #46
Hawaiian Punch
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"

Member #1146

My Corvette(s)
'95 Silveraldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post
epaholst, Definitely get some rubber under the ends of the springs. That design with the puck looks better than the 84-87 design. Ours have a big chunk of rubber bonded to the spring, but it allows sand and gravel to get under it. This chews up the control arm a little, but not as bad I'd expect yours to with metal on metal.

Punch's car has the spring basically sitting on the frame, and the ends are shaved too. He also has some optical illusion going on because all the pics he posts are shrunk vertically.
this was true about the pic optical, but i also used a camera that made things apear vertical then norm which was the case with T.M's camera which what we used for all the pics back in those days. I had to stretch out the pics a bit to even out what the camera did when the pic was taken but, the ones which happend to be some of the last pics taken of her before i sold it was not touched, it was as the camera had taken them, the only thing i touched in those pics was bloting out my liecense plate to make it look like I had a plate cover over them whcih I didnt, that was all.

as far as the pieces cut out form the ends, I did cut them out as i had responded above but, I also left some there just because I didnt want the bare spring rubbing on the a frame......i drove it this way til i sold the car without having any hint of issues with the car.

Mahalo for bringing this up, so I can clear the air on some things here.
Hawaiian Punch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #47
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)
Slammed 06 6 speed with some mods

I didn't use the wedges on my old 89 or this current 89. I ran into my old 89 a friend had picked up.It has been 7 years since i slammed that car and nothing was wrong with it at all.And it was still slammed.I ran into Hawaiian Punches old 91 just a year ago,the new owner trashed the car,but the stance was the same and no spring issues.
Theres really no difference in the spring pivoting on a 1/8 inch piece of rubber,or the frame of the car.With no wedges,theres actually more spring locked against the frame than with any size wedge at all.
And lets not forget about Toolmans superchared 87 that doesn't have wedges either,he's going on about 8 years now.

Whats up Kalani...
T.M. is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes... Big ass Texas speed cam and valvetrain...Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam.... underdriven pulley.. Electric water pump... Monster clutch..all done on jack stands at home Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 inch drop and dark ass tint
Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #48
DRM87
DC Crew

Member #59652

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible(Sold), 2001 Corvette Z06 SW(Sold), 1999 FRC 441lsx custom widebody

Thanks so much for clearing all that up! I have been wondering so much how to get it slammed, but kept hearing so many different responses.

so from Hawaiian and T.M. both, i think no wedges is the way to go for the ultimate drop. Thanks guys.
DRM87 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #49
aboatguy
DC Crew

Member #72320

My Corvette(s)
1995 LT1 VERT

After:

QUOTE]
C4s look best lowered.
aboatguy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #50
redmen031
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #11864

My Corvette(s)
84 Z51 red/red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM87 View Post
Thanks so much for clearing all that up! I have been wondering so much how to get it slammed, but kept hearing so many different responses.

so from Hawaiian and T.M. both, i think no wedges is the way to go for the ultimate drop. Thanks guys.
If you do remove the wedges completely, just keep an eye on that spring and make sure you aren't damaging it by riding with it against the frame.

Definitely post up some pictures of the finished product
redmen031 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Mods: Ceasefire is no more...LS1 clone on the way! | 3.73 gears | Cross drilled-Slotted rotors | 18x10 out back & 17x9 up front | Headers | highflow CAT | 2.5" custom exhaust no mufflers

Check out my LS1 engine build thread HERE

SAVE THE WAVE
Pictures ------ More Pictures
Lots of donuts in the SNOW!!
Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #51
snowmanmdp
DC Crew

Member #72103

My Corvette(s)

Nice work gentlemen
snowmanmdp is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #52
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmen031 View Post
If you do remove the wedges completely, just keep an eye on that spring and make sure you aren't damaging it by riding with it against the frame.

Definitely post up some pictures of the finished product
redman,thanks,i borrowed a pic from you're lowering thread...lol
Keep in mind that the center/flat section of the spring,is already against the body of the car,by removing the wedges,only a little more of the spring is against the body.It all snug,and no big deal.If one looks at the stock spring when they pull it out,it's all chipped and has hairline cracks already anyway..just like the one in the pic.
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes... Big ass Texas speed cam and valvetrain...Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam.... underdriven pulley.. Electric water pump... Monster clutch..all done on jack stands at home Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 inch drop and dark ass tint
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #53
Hawaiian Punch
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"

Member #1146

My Corvette(s)
'95 Silveraldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M. View Post
redman,thanks,i borrowed a pic from you're lowering thread...lol
Keep in mind that the center/flat section of the spring,is already against the body of the car,by removing the wedges,only a little more of the spring is against the body.It all snug,and no big deal.If one looks at the stock spring when they pull it out,it's all chipped and has hairline cracks already anyway..just like the one in the pic.
Hui todd!! howzit my braddah!! I miss you in da islands, we need to set up one visit from Texas to Hawaii or Hawaii to Texas.

It was great talking to you the other week to, soubnds like things are finaly getting back to normal for you thank God eh.
Hawaiian Punch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #54
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

still can't believe you moved to texas..I'll give you a call wed bro..
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #55
DRM87
DC Crew

Member #59652

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible(Sold), 2001 Corvette Z06 SW(Sold), 1999 FRC 441lsx custom widebody

Finally got around to lowering the vette today. I used redmen's step by step and it went very smoothly.

Thanks so much for the help! It was great!

A few things I would add....

It may be easier removing and reinstalling the spring if a lower A-arm was removed.

Also, used a grinder wheel to shave down the wedges, as the belt sander was too slow for me. In addition, to cut the rubber off the spring, I used a radial arm saw. Took it right off. Other than that there were no hangups.

I will post pictures later. I may lower the rear more than I did, so it matches the front. The front is perfect!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #56
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

good deal..
Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #57
bloodmanic
DC Crew

Member #75336

My Corvette(s)
1984, 1972 stingray, 1990

so who wants to lower my vette for me

i want to lower it but im not that great with anything on cars. even with a step by step i ususally end up messing something up.
bloodmanic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #58
DRM87
DC Crew

Member #59652

My Corvette(s)

I also wanted to note, that I debated to whether or not I was going to use wedges.... I ended up using them due to the fact I am running 18" wheels wth 275/40 tires, and are a whole inch taller than what most C4s are running. So I figured with shaved down wedges, it would be perfect height. And it is.

However, i think, without wedges would be just fine and maybe even a little easier to get the spring back in.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #59
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

Get some pics up soon bro...

I run 19" wheels,but 275/30/19's..the 30 series Pirelli's i have are 25" top top bottom,which is actually shorter than the 275/40/17 that was stock on my car at 25.7" top to bottom.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #60
redmen031
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #11864

My Corvette(s)
84 Z51 red/red

Awesome!

Looking forward to the pictures. You're lucky that the front came out perfect, thats great to hear. The rear is a piece of cake to adjust and can be done in a matter of minutes as you know.

redmen031 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Mods: Ceasefire is no more...LS1 clone on the way! | 3.73 gears | Cross drilled-Slotted rotors | 18x10 out back & 17x9 up front | Headers | highflow CAT | 2.5" custom exhaust no mufflers

Check out my LS1 engine build thread HERE

SAVE THE WAVE
Pictures ------ More Pictures
Lots of donuts in the SNOW!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in