Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

The New Electrical System from GM

842 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Maniacmechanic1 
#1 ·
We've heard that the C8 6-8 month delay was caused by problems with a new electrical system. GM just announced more news about the new digital electrical system coming in new models.

The new electrics will be in nearly all GM models by 2023. The GM digital vehicle platform will include over-the-air updates and will also support new electrified powertrains, autonomous driving systems and automated safety systems.

From GM “As the automotive industry and vehicles evolve in the next five to 10 years, more electrical bandwidth and connectivity will be needed to ensure that features like electric propulsion systems, the Super Cruise driver assistance feature and advanced active safety systems can all run in conjunction with each other.”

#3 ·
Skynet will become self aware any day now.
My son, the degreed Software Engineer skilled in AI, calls me names (like paranoid) when I say that. He says that will never happen. I say he is naïve. Might be our biggest disagreement. One thing he IS right about, our outlook on the subject will have zero impact on the steamrolling tech coming.

For now, this particular tech should help shave some pounds from the C8 while adding more functionality/features...maybe with commands made milliseconds faster = safer.

Other impact possibilities:
1. Fewer recalls because of updates ? Maybe.
2. Mandatory Recall visits to the dealer reinforced by remote messaging/compliance or performance reductions? Likely.
3. Performance updates for $$$ just like Tesla? Maybe, but subject to emissions laws, so maybe not or very costly.
4. Will GM be notified when owner adds aftermarket performance updates? VERY likely. Going forward, I would guess that every aftermarket performance add/ECM adjustment MUST be pre-approved by GM in order to assure GM updates don't return the affected control module does not reset the module to stock parameters.
5. On board logs maintained showing speeds, tire spin, number of times the DIC is set to "Full Performance?" Probably that and more.

It will be interesting to see exactly what develops from this new tech...not just for the C8, but the commuters and grocery getters too.

Reactions: stinger430
#5 ·
Mr. Raisin, those who have been following the DC C8 section already know that each Dealer must qualify to sell C8 Corvettes and that qualification requires extensive mechanic and sales person training. So, yeah if after you buy a C8 at an authorized Chevy dealer and then take it to Podunk, Anystate to a Chevy dealer who is NOT C8 Qualified ....well the results are on YOU and the Podunk dealer - if infact, he agrees to place a wrench on it. No "planned obsolescence" like an iPhone, just a matter of intelligent owners listening to the sales person when they BUY their C8 and understanding that it is NOT a Malibu...it's a C8 Corvette.

#6 ·
Longtimer - You're missing most of my point here. Tesla's are reportedly "bricking" for a variety of malaises, including failing or out-of-production electronics that - I'm afraid - foretell of our electrically-powered automobile future. Reported spontaneous battery fires now too. Problems are not unique to Tesla, and issues of one sort or another will befall all EV manufacturers. To suggest otherwise is just not reality.

Where do you now go to get your Fisker maintained? Trying to get competent, reliable maintenance on even high-end electronics is almost impossible at present. Manufacturers don't have the talented people, or economic incentive to diagnose and repair - they want you to to buy a newer version. So it will go with automobiles. C8 will not be immune.

#7 ·
It is what is.
There is a Global Agenda to get rid of all Internal combustion engines within the next 5 years and likely push laws to make it illegal to own them.
At Least the C8 is getting Built with a gasoline powered engine.
Drag Racers and Street Racers are Rebelling the Hardest.

May seem like a crime but whatever Tracking device Mary Barra puts in a C8 is easily defeated by a Mechanic like me.
Just need Diagonal Dike wire Cutters.
Cut the Sattelite Transponder out and stock ECM.
Go buy an aftermarket ECM Drag Race.
Install.
If it's all special serial data pitch that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.