Photographing the Milky Way - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
chopper2585
DC Crew

Member #121522

My Corvette(s)
1965 Malibu SS, 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale

Photographing the Milky Way

I had been trying to find time to go out to a dark spot for a while to photograph the Milky Way, but it's almost 3 hours to any place that's dark enough.

I finally got out to a spot, and it wasn't as dark as I hoped for, but I got some good pictures. Not sure if you guys are into this stuff, but I thought I'd share them.

Here's two of them and then a video patch of 45 all taken over the course of about 15 minutes. It results in only about 3 seconds of video.

I think they turned out pretty good for my first try at it, especially when looking at the larger images.

DSC00578 by RandomDay, on Flickr

DSC00604 by RandomDay, on Flickr

Last edited by chopper2585; 06-25-2015 at 09:33 PM.
chopper2585 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chopper2585 For This Useful Post:
1963SS (06-25-2015), MR BRNS C6 (06-26-2015), yukonz51 (06-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
020NE

Member #49384

My Corvette(s)
1978 Lt. Camel Beige T-Top; 1985 Medium Blue Metallic; 2005 LeMans Blue Coupe

Very nice.

I've been to some great dark sky locations in Arizona and S Florida. Has to be tough in your area.

The all time top spot for me was on Mauna Kea. Took a SUV to the top for the sunset, then down to the Visitor's Center at 9000' to take in the stars. Absolutely amazing.
020NE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Wave as you pass...
Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

I'd say those turned out better than "ok"! Nice work! What's the trick there? Shutter, aperture, ISO? I have a DSLR that I use for all kinds of fun stuff and am always looking to expand my bag of tricks.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

My son and I were laying on a picnic table in Seligman, Arizona and saw the Milky Way. I thought it was a cloud until I got out the binoculars. The Arizona sky was perfect. Your pics and video are great. Was that a Go-Pro?
1963SS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If smoking marijuana causes short term memory loss

What does smoking marijuana do?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
fatguyzinc
DC Crew

Member #146809

My Corvette(s)
1978 w/ 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 020NE View Post
Very nice.

I've been to some great dark sky locations in Arizona and S Florida. Has to be tough in your area.

The all time top spot for me was on Mauna Kea. Took a SUV to the top for the sunset, then down to the Visitor's Center at 9000' to take in the stars. Absolutely amazing.
haleakala ( literal translation= house of the sun ) on maui.
12,500 feet at the summit, 4am to watch the sunrise. awesome...
fatguyzinc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If i cant eat it, ride it, drive it, or f*ck it, then i dont care...
Old 06-26-2015, 04:32 AM   #6
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Those are some awesome pics. Very well done. It sure beats the ones I took of the Milky Way

The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
The Following User Says Thank You to The Torch For This Useful Post:
chopper2585 (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
Beautiful pics! I am a photography buff and love nighttime photography. I do want to know how you took them. Time exposures? Well done!
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
BugsyK
DC Crew

Member #62816

Very nice!
BugsyK is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
chopper2585
DC Crew

Member #121522

My Corvette(s)

Thanks guys! I hope to get out again and do some more another time. The problem is the farther east you are, the worse it gets. This place was 3 hours from me, so 3 to get out there by midnight, then I was so tired looking ahead to 3 hours back, I was there like 30 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I'd say those turned out better than "ok"! Nice work! What's the trick there? Shutter, aperture, ISO? I have a DSLR that I use for all kinds of fun stuff and am always looking to expand my bag of tricks.
Thanks! Yep, it's a mix of all of those things. The lens has to be "fast" which means a low f number. The lens I used was f/1.4. It's a measure of how much light is let in.

Then you set the shutter to a certain time. I used the maximum before it starts streaking from the sky moving. It'll depend on the lens and camera, since the sensor sizes matter.

The ISO wasn't too high on mine, 3200 for these. My camera is a Sony A7s which is made for low light stuff, so other cameras would need to be higher probably.

Then, it's some minor work in a photo editor to change the contrast. Nothing is manipulated, it just hides some of the light the camera captures.

I put a picture below of what I saw with my eyes, and what the camera captured. Then a few minutes got the pics to what I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
My son and I were laying on a picnic table in Seligman, Arizona and saw the Milky Way. I thought it was a cloud until I got out the binoculars. The Arizona sky was perfect. Your pics and video are great. Was that a Go-Pro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguyzinc View Post
haleakala ( literal translation= house of the sun ) on maui.
12,500 feet at the summit, 4am to watch the sunrise. awesome...

Definitely, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, NM, Hawaiian mountains, all those places are perfect for this stuff. The darker it is, the easier it is to catch it. I used this map to find a spot, it really depends on where you are.

The video was actually 45 still pictures taken one after another. Then I put them together and it shows how everything moves over the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Beautiful pics! I am a photography buff and love nighttime photography. I do want to know how you took them. Time exposures? Well done!
Thanks! Yep, I replied to XQIZT with some of it. This was on my Sony A7s, the lens was a Rokinon 24mm. The size and f number of the lens make all the difference. I was able to do 20 second exposures with the lens before the stars would streak. Lenses lower than 24mm can go longer, and higher have to be shorter.

This is a good tool to see how long you can expose for: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/milky-way...re-calculator/

So here's the comparison with what I saw and what the camera got, and what a little editing did. It was pretty dark out there, but there was a small airport or cell tower farm, or something on the horizon. If there are clouds or high humidity, you'll see the glow from the lights.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Great work and good info. Makes me want to get out and do a little night photography again. I have a Canon 5D Mark III that really takes great pictures. I'm like you, though. DFW has very bright skies at night. I'll have to drive a while to get dark skies.

My last night time effort was Fourth of July fireworks.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
chopper2585
DC Crew

Member #121522

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Great work and good info. Makes me want to get out and do a little night photography again. I have a Canon 5D Mark III that really takes great pictures. I'm like you, though. DFW has very bright skies at night. I'll have to drive a while to get dark skies.

My last night time effort was Fourth of July fireworks.

Those look awesome. The 5D Mark III is one of the best out there. I had that before selling it and getting the A7s. They're two different systems, but there's a lot I miss about that 5D.

This is the lens I used for this stuff This is the lens I used for this stuff
. It's very wide and lets a lot of light in. It's said to be one of the best ones out there for this kind of photography, plus they can be had pretty cheap on eBay.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper2585 View Post
Those look awesome. The 5D Mark III is one of the best out there. I had that before selling it and getting the A7s. They're two different systems, but there's a lot I miss about that 5D.

This is the lens I used for this stuff. It's very wide and lets a lot of light in. It's said to be one of the best ones out there for this kind of photography, plus they can be had pretty cheap on eBay.
That's a cool lens. F1.4 is definitely a lot of light. I'm going to experiment a little with the L Series lens I have and see what I get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in