DIY - Coupe Owners: Repairing the Targa Rear Roof Latch - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > TECH Exchange > Articles - Body
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Articles - Body Body, electrical, interior, etc.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

DIY - Coupe Owners: Repairing the Targa Rear Roof Latch

While working on my targa roof, I had to flip it over for the first time. Wow, what a eye opener! Take a look at the corner of my weatherstripping:

As you can see, the corner of my weatherstripping is all ate up. It was this way on both sides of the roof. I have never looked at this side of the roof so I had no clue. That's kind of odd as I've had this car 6 years now.

So I ordered me some replacement weatherstripping and went at it. First, you remove the 2 screws that hold the weatherstripping on the roof (one at each end).

You don't want to just start yanking the weatherstrip off the roof. You want it to work for you in removing the parts that are glued on. In order to do this, use a screwdriver to pry at both ends of the weatherstrip in order to pry up as much of the corners as possible. This will keep you from having to scrape the thing for the next 2 hours trying to get all of the old weatherstrip and glue off the corners of the roof.

Once you have pried up as much of the old strip as possible, remove it from the roof. Next, throughly clean the remaining glue and rubber off the corners of the roof. You may find that soaking the area in a little Goo Gone will assist with the removal of the old gunk.

Now to install the new weatherstrip. First off, DO NOT remove the plastic that covers the sticky part of the weatherstrip. That will be the last thing that you do. What you want to do first is locate the edge of the weatherstrip that will sit in the channel closest to the top of the roof. It is somewhat hard to see in this picture but will make more sense as you are looking at your own roof.

Once you get both sides of the weatherstrip in, you are ready to test fit the seating. You are still NOT going to remove the plastic covering yet.

What you are going to do is pull the ends of the weatherstrip in place and make sure that the screw holes in the roof, line up with the screw holes in the weatherstrip. If they do, you are ready to move forward. If they don't, you need to make the necessary adjustments. This is why you haven't removed that plastic. Whatever it is that they use for glue at GM, that stuff is like Godzilla Glue. Once you stick it down, it ain't coming back up.

Now here goes the tricky part. First, stick the Phillips screw back into the weatherstrip (if you have removed it). Next, you are going to bend back the corner of the weatherstrip so that you can remove the plastic that is covering the sticky part. Then you are going to CAREFULLY swing that corner into place, making sure that the sticky part does not touch the roof. Make sure that the Phillips screw hits the hole and once it does, give it a turn or two to start it in. At that point, fully seat the corner allowing the glue to do its permanent bond.

The finished product:

The last thing you will do is treat your new weatherstrip (and your existing weatherstripping with some GM Dielectric Silicone Grease. This is the same stuff used on the inside of spark plug boots and keeps your weatherstripping nice and supple. It also prevents it from getting hard and brittle. Don't cake it on like a mousse, use a nice thin layer. This tube will easily do the entire car.

Now I need to detail my beat up looking roof...

That's it! Stand back and admire the money you saved!

The Junkman

Last edited by Junkman2008; 10-11-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in