If You Need a Spare Key(s) for Your Corvette, Step on In! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > TECH Exchange > Articles - Body
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Articles - Body Body, electrical, interior, etc.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

If You Need a Spare Key(s) for Your Corvette, Step on In!

This post applies to anyone who needs a spare key for any vehicle that has a chip in the key. You've seen the prices of these keys, and if you think they are trying to rip you a new one then you are correct-a-mucho!

If you have a chip on both sides of the key, then you have a double-sided VAT (vehicle anti-theft) key. If the chip is only on one side, then you have a single-sided Vats key. Now that you know which key you have, here's how to replace it for less than $10!

In order to get a replacement key for DIRT cheap, do this. Measure the chip inside the key. See picture below for clarification:

(I made sure the picture was big enough for blind guys and gals like me)

Here's a short video on reading your VAT key for those who may need more clarification.

Look at the measurement that you get. The number will be close to, or one of the following from this list:

Your results may have a decimal in front of it, after the first number, or not at all depending on how your ohm meter is set to read the resistance.

If your number is "1407", then you need to purchase a #6 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles if you are replacing or adding to your C5 Corvette key collection. If your number is "4748", then you need to purchase a #11 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. If your number is "524", then you need to purchase a #2 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. So on, and so on, and so on. I know which number key to buy because I'm comparing my results to the chart above.

Once you have your Vats number, you can jump on eBay and get a blank replacement key. I bought mine from a place called Locksmith Source. If you click on the link, it will take you to a #10 VAT key that he sells (he sells them all). Look at the price:

$5.50!

I about lost my mind after seeing that price and being quoted $130 dollars by the stealership. I ordered 2 more keys on top of the one I had. Now I have a spare, my girlfriend stores one (not that she'll be using it or anything), and I have the third. Multiple keys is the only way to go!

I took my blank keys to the locksmith and he cut them for $2! That was it! Walked out to the car and they both started the car on the first try. If you're paying more than this for a replacement key that has a chip in it, then please donate some of that extra money you need to blow to my gas fund!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 08-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in