Started restoring my 76 (It's come a long way) - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #46
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Update

Well found time to do more work to the vette. Disconnected all the components to pull the body off. I knew the front fenders were loose from the firewall at the top corners and I planned on gluing them but I didn't know they were barely holding. When I started picking up the body the front clip folded at the firewall. So I decided to pull the clip, it was easy sense nothing was holding except a 6 inch section. Have I said my vette was owned by BUBBA! Well now I can clean, paint and make everything look like I want now. I'am not looking forward to aligning the front clip but I have to now. Take a look at my frame pictures and see if you think it is 76 or 79. I don't know how much the PO replaced on the car, all I know he used a 79 donor. I haven't seen a cover over the gas tank like mine.

Here's some pictures of the removal.

I will be working on it tomorrow. I'll mount the body on my rotisserie and striping some parts off the frame. I'll try to update soon.
Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #47
wan2run
DC Crew

Member #95364

My Corvette(s)

Good stuff!

The cover over the gas tank is on my '77...I'm not sure when it starting coming from the factory. Your rear bumper looks different than mine...I'm wondering if that came from the '79...

wan2run is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #48
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Update

Thanks wan2run
I have no idea what the PO changed on this car. I just know he didn't do things the way I do. I like every thing done right and made to last. Even if you don't go back original you should have some pride in your work.

Today I mounted the body on the rotisserie and balanced it. Had time to evaluate the body and frame. Here's some pictures.

The PO used way too much bonding glue and it did not stick! I don't know if it wasn't preped correctly or if it was the wrong glue.

Found a huge crack under the fire wall that will have to be repaired. I just have to wander how this car got so beat up!

Here's the body mounted.

There have been some good and bad things about this vette. I have found a lot of hidden problems that could not be detected without taking the car apart. That being said I am glad I started this project because I know what I have when it's complete.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #49
speeddaddy
DC Crew

Member #95319

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

I am impressed and inspired. I am rebuilding my 77' suspension and will move on to other areas. This is my first time ever doing anything like this, but thanks to everyone here I have grown some balls. I will say this. Don't get caught up in that whole "because I don't have chrome bumpers I'm worthless thing". I felt like that for a while and it kept me from doing certain things to the car, but I'm over it. I can accept the fact that everybody's car can't and won't be a chrome bumper car and I can be thankful and appreciate the ability to have purchased what I could and the more I work on it the more I am bonding with the car, and the more I love it. It is very valuable to me and that's what counts.
speeddaddy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to speeddaddy For This Useful Post:
drbluevert (05-20-2016)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #50
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Had to take a break from the vette yesterday. Today I got some sleep as I have to work all night but I found time to pressure wash the body and frame. It only took 2 hours and let me say I am glad to get rid of all that 35 year old crust that has been falling off it. Found another crack in the back trunk area that will be fixed. I am starting to realize this car is going to be nice when its finished. It definitely is going to be easier to make all the repairs with the body off. Also had time to measure the frame and looks like I will have to get it tweeked a bit. Well off to work now. Mark
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

looks like you are moving right along!
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #52
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Update

Worked on the vette today. I removed the gas tank, engine and transmission. Moved it outside and pressure washed it again.

After taking some measurements with the frame on jack stands I have found out the frame is twisted. After thinking about what damage I have found so far I think it has been ran through a ditch. This would explain the twisted frame and the fiberglass damage. This is not a big problem to me, there are several real good frame shops in my area and the frame can be straightened with no problem. Here is some pictures of what I'am talking about.

This is after the engine and trans was removed

Look at the odd angle the diff is at. My shop floor is level

Look at the passenger side, it sits an inch higher than the drivers side.

The passenger side

The driver side

I know this would freak some folks out but it is no big deal with a bare frame. It will cost me $150 setup fee and $60 an hr to fix. They should be able to fix it within an hour. The back frame arm is not bent, the twist starts at the front and extends to the rear. Alignment will not be a problem either, I have already had the vette on a laser alignment machine and it aligns just fine. The car has always been tilted sense I have owned it and now I know why. Well have to work the next two nights i'll get back on it this weekend. Mark
Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #53
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Update

Worked on the vette this weekend.
After taking the front end off I needed a way to move it around and work on it, so I built a dolly. After turning it upside down I removed the light assemblies and vacuum tank. I rolled it outside and pressure washed and cleaned. My plans are to fix all the fiberglass cracks smooth the inside of the fenders and the underside of the body and apply lizard skin and paint. Ill use a undercoating in the fender wells. Here's some pictures.

The Dolly

The inter fenders

Inside the front

The light assemblies

And the vacuum tank

Stay tuned there will be more to come.

Mark
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #54
yello 76
DC Crew

Member #115882

My Corvette(s)

Smile

Very impressive and inspiring.
It's no consolation to you, but I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that seems to buy cars to rebuild that end up needing double the amount of time n effort to complete !
Have you set a completion time to finish or can you slow down and pace yourself a bit ? These days I only work on the cars when I feel like it and in the mood, just knowing it's in the workshop is a good feeling.

Hang in there your doing an awesome job.
yello 76 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #55
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

Love to see progress Looking awesome If you need any help just shoot me a PM cause I'm only 70 miles from you and wouldn't mind helping when I'm not doing the body work on mine Good luck Mark
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #56
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Thanks Yello 76

It is a large project and time consuming. The way I see it i'll have it back together and in primer by the end of next summer, so it might be done the spring of 2013. I don't want to paint it unless the temperature is 80 or above. I also have a bronco and trailer I need to sale for corvette funds. I do feel good about taking it completely apart because I will know what I have when it's complete. After seeing all the parts of the car I don't see any 35 year old car being in great condition unless completely restored or kept in a climate controlled room. There is just too many places for the car to deteriorate that can't be seen.

Thanks for the offer 72SBVet

Yep 70 miles isn't that far, but I wouldn't feel wright asking you to drive here and work on her, but if I get in a bind i'll keep you in mind. A lot of my work is done during the week. The job I have, I work 12 hour shifts on 2 days off 2, on 3 ,off 2 ,on 2 off 3. I get every other weekend off. Hows your project coming along? Hope you are enjoying it. Mark
Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #57
rookievette
I'm related so I get a title.

Member #83746

My Corvette(s)

Hey Mark, been busy with my C4 paint and all. anyway, i'm only 12 miles away and would be glad to help anytime you need a hand. Send me a PM. I am available most all evenings if you give me a little advance notice. Also, I would like to come out there and meet you soon.
rookievette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #58
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookievette View Post
Hey Mark, been busy with my C4 paint and all. anyway, i'm only 12 miles away and would be glad to help anytime you need a hand. Send me a PM. I am available most all evenings if you give me a little advance notice. Also, I would like to come out there and meet you soon.
PM sent
Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #59
pluslt
DC Crew

Member #82819

My Corvette(s)
2003 Z06

Subbing just because I love these kind of projects and I miss hanging out in the C3 forums.
pluslt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
SOLD: 2003 Quicksilver Z06. LG Longtubes, Corsa Cat Back, Blackwing Intake, Hurst Short Throw, Textralia Clutch, 160 Degree Thermostat, ECS Tune. Iforged Aero's: 19s and 18s. Alpine IVA-W200, JBL speakers, amps and sub. Custom molded sub box with back lit LEDs.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #60
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluslt View Post
Subbing just because I love these kind of projects and I miss hanging out in the C3 forums.
Maybe there's a C3 in your future Yep this is a good place to hang out no doubt about it. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in