Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

oil pressure drop

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  JustinEntropyRad 
#1 ·
I think I have had an oil pressure drop. running down the highway I used to have about 41lbs oil pressure and now it seems all of a sudden I have only 30 lbs highway. at idle it is about 20lbs is that to low for a c5?

#2 ·
Step 1: Pull and post your codes. If there is a problem with your car, that is how it speaks to you.

As for oil pressure, you should have the following minimum readings when the engine is hot:

• 6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM.
  • 18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM.
  • 24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM.

#6 ·
As for oil pressure, you should have the following minimum readings when the engine is hot:

6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM.
18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM.
24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM.
Don't forget, That's the minimum from the Factory service manual. and it listed as psig not PSI. To convert from psig to PSI just add 14.7 at sea level.

6 psig=20.7psi
18 psig=32.7psi
24 psig=38.7psi

#13 ·
I don't know if this still holds true, but a few years ago I put one of those orange Fram oil filters with the black grip thing on the bottom of it on my race car and my oil pressure dropped in half. I called my engine builder, told him about the problem and he said take that Fram filter off and throw it as far away as possible and put a Wix filter on it. I have used Wix filters on virtually everything I've owned since then. Just a thought.............

#17 ·
yea, really not a fan of fram anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.