[NEW!] C6-R Corvette Caught Again....... - Page 10 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #136
maniaspeed
DC Crew

Member #13131

Hi everyone, I don't know if I've ever posted on this forum before but I read it all the time.

I really think this is the C6-R, not the Z06. They will look similar as the R is supposed to be modeled after the z06, which is why they will be unveiled together at the auto show.

I watch the ALMS and those are the same wheels they have raced with for the past couple of years, definitely not production car wheels (OZ racing in fact). Even some of the prototype class cars use the same style. The hood is basically the same as on the C5-R and has a functional design as mentioned in an earlier post. I would say no way will that hood make it onto the production z06 (though a bigger scoop than the one on the "embargoed" pic would be welcome).

Regarding the absence of the ALMS position lights, they don't have them on the actual Le Mans cars (versus the ALMS races run in the US) so they might just have the bodywork from one of those on there. Plus the C5R fuel filler is in its normal location. The R versions of the car share the hydroformed frame rails, some suspension bits and other modified components with the production car but are mostly purpose built racing machines. I think the cars in Speed World Challenge are much more production based.

One last thing that strongly suggests to me that this is the R is that the pic is from Sebring. That is the season opener for the ALMS in March. I would have to agree they are testing the aero with the new body panels.

By the way if you get a chance to go to an ALMS race, do it! You can walk right up to the cars on the grid before the race. If you're used to attending Nascar races you will NOT BELIEVE how accessible and open the ALMS paddock is. Not to mention the C5-R's are just awesome in person - oh my god the SOUND!!!!!!!
maniaspeed is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #137
digo

Member #13793

Quote:
Originally posted by motorman
those are pratt and miller trailers and they would not be testing any production corvette. the guy from GM that sent the Email does not knowm s--t from shineola. the same cars were shown before at road atlanta and i ask gary claudio about these pictures and he said "i told them they had better fix up their security because it stinks"
Okay!

But this car is not ready for the La Mans as is. Too many things are missing such as, the La Mans lights mentioned and the fuel outlet is too small, and why have what looks like an after thought for a rear brake air inlet. And the car is sitting way too high when compaired to the DB9-R testing.

Still, U may be correct, it may not be the ZO6, but this car is way behind where it should be, if U are correct.

To me, it looks more like a ZO6 that's testing a rear spoiler and hood than a C6-R testing something.
digo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #138
Halltech

Member #6188

Quote:
Originally posted by CorvetteConti
BS
TOTAL BS...

HERE'S WHAT I PUT ON MY SITE....

"ENJOY IT GUYS - GM JUST CALLED AND ASKED ME TO TAKE THIS OFF THE SITE - (booooo) LOOKS LIKE BY GM CALLING AGAIN TO HAVE THIS PIC PULLED - IT WORKED - BUT...THIS IS A "SPY PIC" AND NOT AN EMABARGOED PHOTO - HUMMM, WHAT GIVES?!

WELL I LOOSE - I HOPE THEY APPRECIATE ME HONORING THEIR REQUEST BY SENDING ME TWO PASSES (press) TO THE DETROIT AUTO SHOW (wink-wink)

THEY ALSO SAID SOMETHING INTERESTING ......
THEY CALLED THIS THE "2006 Z06 PIC" (?) DID I MISS A HINT - THEY DID NOT REFER TO IT AS THE C6-R RACE CAR...HUMMM - MAYBE THERE IS SOMETHING MORE HERE.......
I know I can''t control other sites WWW.DIGITALCORVETTES.COM may have something for your folks!"
My best guess is that GM took exception with your posting the Soprano stuff a lot more than a disguised C5R spy photo.

They are just getting their position posted regarding your site.

That is kinda what I heard.

Jim
Halltech is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2004, 09:50 AM   #139
CorvetteConti
Supporting Dealer

Member #686

My Corvette(s)
Whatever is on the Lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Halltech

They are just getting their position posted regarding your site.

That is kinda what I heard.

Jim
???????
Please explain more if you can Jim, thanks!
CorvetteConti is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 10:01 AM   #140
digo

Member #13793

Quote:
Originally posted by maniaspeed
Hi everyone, I don't know if I've ever posted on this forum before but I read it all the time.

I really think this is the C6-R, not the Z06. They will look similar as the R is supposed to be modeled after the z06, which is why they will be unveiled together at the auto show.

I watch the ALMS and those are the same wheels they have raced with for the past couple of years, definitely not production car wheels (OZ racing in fact). Even some of the prototype class cars use the same style. The hood is basically the same as on the C5-R and has a functional design as mentioned in an earlier post. I would say no way will that hood make it onto the production z06 (though a bigger scoop than the one on the "embargoed" pic would be welcome).

Regarding the absence of the ALMS position lights, they don't have them on the actual Le Mans cars (versus the ALMS races run in the US) so they might just have the bodywork from one of those on there. Plus the C5R fuel filler is in its normal location. The R versions of the car share the hydroformed frame rails, some suspension bits and other modified components with the production car but are mostly purpose built racing machines. I think the cars in Speed World Challenge are much more production based.

One last thing that strongly suggests to me that this is the R is that the pic is from Sebring. That is the season opener for the ALMS in March. I would have to agree they are testing the aero with the new body panels.

By the way if you get a chance to go to an ALMS race, do it! You can walk right up to the cars on the grid before the race. If you're used to attending Nascar races you will NOT BELIEVE how accessible and open the ALMS paddock is. Not to mention the C5-R's are just awesome in person - oh my god the SOUND!!!!!!!
Okay!

I forgot, there are other races this car would be involed in than just the American or French La Mans races.

So I got a little too excited. Too bad for me! A good thing no one took me serious, right?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #141
Halltech

Member #6188

I had never seen your site until someone at GM walked me through it over the phone.

In particular, the Soprano pic seemed very offensive to him, since you represent GM products.

I personally believe that GM went too far in going to RC45's home, in fact I stated to him, that it was "over the top" and pissed me off.

In my case, I don't make a living selling GM products, you do.

If you are now recieving heat, my guess is that the new pic was the final straw.

Right or wrong, GM is trying to protect their interest in the pictures that keep appearing on the web.

Once they hit, it is way too late to try to stop the proliferation of the pictures.

The Z06 picture that I have on one of my sites, was posted here, there and now everywhere. This incident caused GM enough concern as to take a very strong position with respect to anyone wanting to post embargoed pictures.

If they say it's embargoed, it is. It is their property being given away by folks that could care less how it affects possible periodical releases scheduled for Jan.

The web has changed everything. Nothing is sacred any more, but folks that believe that they can post anything they want, will end up paying the consequences.

Anyway, that's just my .02 on the current issue.

Jim
Old 12-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #142
Halltech

Member #6188

One more thing.

TIn my opinion, that picture is not the new Z06, but the test mule for the C6R.

The C6Rs will be tested in black and end up Mil Yellow for the racing season. Note: Some of the bodywork appears to be masked on this car.

The new Z06 will have flared fenders, the picture does not.

The new Z06 will not have the heat exchanger hood seen in the picture.

The new Z06 will not have a giant rear spoiler, but will have a spoiler available through the local dealer, I believe. The rear spoiler is going to be on the 2006 Z06.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:25 AM   #143
billy1

Member #13762

i think i remember hearing something about a zo6-R a while back maybe this is it
billy1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #144
maniaspeed
DC Crew

Member #13131

Hey dude, we're ALL excited!
maniaspeed is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #145
digo

Member #13793

Quote:
Originally posted by billy1
i think i remember hearing something about a zo6-R a while back maybe this is it
Yeah. Rick was more than likely the first with that info., but we are all pretty sure there is only one Z being offered for time being.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #146
Mover

Member #3807

OK...I'm confused. The pics were were on Rick's site, then they were off, now they are on again. Whattup?

I only noticed this because I was trying to understand Jim Hall's "Soprano's" comment, and I was looking for the photo involved in that.
Mover is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #147
digo

Member #13793

Quote:
Originally posted by maniaspeed
Hey dude, we're ALL excited!
I guess so. Thanks for your and Jim's help in bringing me back to the more common place of reality.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:30 PM   #148
C5vtace

Member #3002

Quote:
Originally posted by digo
Oh, one other thing: the other unexplained hole on the passenger side rear fender near the brake vent, I'm left to thinking that it is the fuel outlet. If it is a fuel outlet- then this one can not be used on a La Mans car- it's too small!
Two words: Air jack. That isn't a drybreak for fueling.

As for the wheels, they are the same BBS wheels they used last season. Check out the pics on http://www.prattmiller.com/c5r.php . These pics also show the same air jack connection in the same location on the C5-R.

The other poster who pointed out the Pratt & Miller haulers was correct. They are testing for the Sebring race in March.

Oh, and BTW, the correct spelling is Le Mans
C5vtace is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #149
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Everyone, ESPECIALLY GM, should calm down a little, IMO. In just over 4 weeks the car will be shown. To me, the most important security issue for GM is to not allow the marketplace competition to know what your doing, until it is too late for them to counter and steal your thunder at release time. IT is too late.

From what we have already heard, there is not much around capable of stealing C6 Z06 thunder and not much development (by the competition) could be accomplished with roughly 30 days until the showing.

As far as the photos are concerned ... other than AutoWeek (leadtime?) who never gets anything right, we all know the car mags require a two month lead time for each new issue. They've already seen the car and couldn't publish these new spy pics quickly enough for anyone to see prior to the show - even if they wanted to risk GM's ire.

With all due respect to all of the forums, we participants are a small fraction of those who buy car mags and the public at large. What is the big deal if we few get to see a few pics so close to the showing? Seems to me GM is wasting good money on needless security at this point. They should be spending that money on the next big thing for vette. That, IMO, would be a much better use of their shareholders' money.

Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #150
CitadelVette

Member #21185

It's time for GM to lighten up.
CitadelVette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in