Driver side Blinker is Freakin OUT! - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #16
Junkman2008
Premium Member

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TexasC5 View Post
So, it looks like to me that the bulb burns a hole in the inner plastic top of the lenz? Or are they like that new?

When I had the wiring harness with blinker bulb plugged in hanging outside the duct hole I saw it was a dual filament. One larger than the other. I turned key to "on", then turned my blinker on and the larger filament was flashing and the small one was on all the time. That is because you have to have your key to "on" so the blinker will work. Thus making the DRL (small filament) stay lite constantly.

That would be correct? Right?

You must have had your headlight out to get that pic I assume . I will take a look at it one more time, or just put a new bulb in.
I've had my headlights in and out of that car so many times, I'v lost count.

You are right, the bulb actually burns through the DRL lens itself. That big circular hole was put there by GM because they knew there was a heat issue. It is supposed to dissipate the heat, but the bulb still burns through over time.

If you in fact tested the turn signal and both filaments were lit, then try re-seating the bulb. If it still hyperflashes, then try replacing the bulb. If the good bulb is still hyperflashing then you have water in that socket.

One thing I forgot to ask. Do you have the hazard switch bypass cable installed?
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Looking at your original post, one of my first thoughts was that you had a bulb out (as this will usually make your signals flash quickly), but when you said that it was erratic (comes and goes and changes under loads), that is what made me think this was an LED harness fix. Most Halos have a ballast resistor on each unit and these perform to varying efficiencies. If this is the source of the problem, the harness is the only fix I have found.
Choreo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
01TexasC5
DC Crew

Member #54930

My Corvette(s)
68 big block Corvette *sold*, 81 2 tone Corvette *sold*, 2001 Corvette C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I've had my headlights in and out of that car so many times, I'v lost count.

You are right, the bulb actually burns through the DRL lens itself. That big circular hole was put there by GM because they knew there was a heat issue. It is supposed to dissipate the heat, but the bulb still burns through over time.

If you in fact tested the turn signal and both filaments were lit, then try re-seating the bulb. If it still hyperflashes, then try replacing the bulb. If the good bulb is still hyperflashing then you have water in that socket.

One thing I forgot to ask. Do you have the hazard switch bypass cable installed?
All the wiring is still stock from Chevrolet. When I turn my emergency flashers on it does not hyper flash.
I took the flasher bulb w/ wire harness out again today. Took the bulb out. No signs of water in the socket. The socket is white but shows a little browning tint where the bulb goes in. From the heat I reckon. It is not melted.
01TexasC5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2001 Pewter A4 Coupe. KOOK's 1 7/8" Long tube headers, X1 cam kit, Manley hardened pushrods, port and polished stage II heads from MTI. Yank 3800 rpm stall converter, X-pipe, Corsa high flow cats, Corsa Indy exhaust, mufflers and Corsa Pro tips, SLP Blackwing, MSD plug wires. Engine work w/ warranty at MTI of Houston.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
01TexasC5
DC Crew

Member #54930

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
Looking at your original post, one of my first thoughts was that you had a bulb out (as this will usually make your signals flash quickly), but when you said that it was erratic (comes and goes and changes under loads), that is what made me think this was an LED harness fix. Most Halos have a ballast resistor on each unit and these perform to varying efficiencies. If this is the source of the problem, the harness is the only fix I have found.
Which harness are you talking about? From blinker or Halo wire harness? I am not getting what your saying, sorry.
2001 Pewter A4 Coupe. KOOK's 1 7/8" Long tube headers, X1 cam kit, Manley hardened pushrods, port and polished stage II heads from MTI. Yank 3800 rpm stall converter, X-pipe, Corsa high flow cats, Corsa Indy exhaust, mufflers and Corsa Pro tips, SLP Blackwing, MSD plug wires. Engine work w/ warranty at MTI of Houston.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

If you will go to the link I posted in Post #4 that will show you the replacement harness you need if you are using any signal LEDs anywhere in the car. This modifies the stock flasher behavior and works with both standard and LED signals.

It comes with full instructions and photographs. You basically drop the knee bolster under the steering wheel, unplug the factory harness and plug in the replacement harness. Takes maybe 20 minutes. This monitors the entire signal circuit for the car.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
Junkman2008
Premium Member

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

I've heard of some people not needing the hyper-flash harness. I have not met or spoken to any of them because everyone I know needed that cable. I guess you are the first, at least up to this point. Now, you need the cable too.

I was assuming that you had the cable installed. Since you don't, that is the obvious fix. It bypasses the hazard switch circuitry and kills the hyper-flash issue. Your hazard switch will still work normally, but once dirt gets in the hazard switch (which happens to every C5 out there eventually), it will not cause your blinkers to act spastic like they are doing now.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I've heard of some people not needing the hyper-flash harness. I have not met or spoken to any of them because everyone I know needed that cable. I guess you are the first, at least up to this point. Now, you need the cable too.

I was assuming that you had the cable installed. Since you don't, that is the obvious fix. It bypasses the hazard switch circuitry and kills the hyper-flash issue. Your hazard switch will still work normally, but once dirt gets in the hazard switch (which happens to every C5 out there eventually), it will not cause your blinkers to act spastic like they are doing now.

My halos worked fine for about a year or so without the harness, then they started hyper-flashing at times. Bought the harness and no problems since.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #23
01TexasC5
DC Crew

Member #54930

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
My halos worked fine for about a year or so without the harness, then they started hyper-flashing at times. Bought the harness and no problems since.
Yea, mine worked over 2 years till a few weeks ago. Oh, I forgot I added these LEDS as well. The Halo's and plate LEDS were all added at the same time. Look nice at night.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #24
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Yea, mine worked over 2 years till a few weeks ago. Oh, I forgot I added these LEDS as well. The Halo's and plate LEDS were all added at the same time. Look nice at night.

My guess is that the ballast resistors start to wear down maybe over time and the harness somehow is more forgiving. I had both the Halos AND the Muth LED turn signal mirrors operate without a glitch for probably two years, then the hiccups started - harness fixed the problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #25
01TexasC5
DC Crew

Member #54930

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
My guess is that the ballast resistors start to wear down maybe over time and the harness somehow is more forgiving. I had both the Halos AND the Muth LED turn signal mirrors operate without a glitch for probably two years, then the hiccups started - harness fixed the problem.
What are Muth LED turn signal mirrors? Pics?

Looks like I will buy the harness adapter to kill the hyper blink. Put a new bulb plus a touch of that continuity grease in this afternoon. Still the same problem. While I was driving it today the hyper blink was gone. Seems when my charging volts are higher it does not do it. It kinda does it when it wants
Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #26
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
What are Muth LED turn signal mirrors? Pics?

Looks like I will buy the harness adapter to kill the hyper blink. Put a new bulb plus a touch of that continuity grease in this afternoon. Still the same problem. While I was driving it today the hyper blink was gone. Seems when my charging volts are higher it does not do it. It kinda does it when it wants
This is what they look like in the daytime when not flashing...

Here is an example of them in operation...
http://www.kwmuth.com/products/carsandtrucks.htm

Order details...
http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0190.htm

Wipes out the better part of the day to do the install yourself, but a great safety addition - merging traffic can now see my intent if they are in front of my rear end along side me.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #27
01TexasC5
DC Crew

Member #54930

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
This is what they look like in the daytime when not flashing...

Here is an example of them in operation...
http://www.kwmuth.com/products/carsandtrucks.htm

Order details...
http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0190.htm

Wipes out the better part of the day to do the install yourself, but a great safety addition - merging traffic can now see my intent if they are in front of my rear end along side me.
Wow, I like that mod a lot. The arrows in the mirrors are white leds? Red? My Halo's + plate leds are very bright when I hit the brakes. When I am at a red light and a car pulls up really close to me while stopped, I stand on the brake and I can see the whole insides of the car behind me. I have had a few cuss me a bit cause they cant look directly into them without hurting their eyes. Makes me laugh...
Thanks for the links.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #28
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Wow, I like that mod a lot. The arrows in the mirrors are white leds? Red? My Halo's + plate leds are very bright when I hit the brakes. When I am at a red light and a car pulls up really close to me while stopped, I stand on the brake and I can see the whole insides of the car behind me. I have had a few cuss me a bit cause they cant look directly into them without hurting their eyes. Makes me laugh...
Thanks for the links.
They are all RED LEDs, but show no color unless lit up.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #29
Junkman2008
Premium Member

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Only one problem with going to signal mirrors... you loose the auto dimming feature.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #30
bunyz06rabit
DC Crew

Member #70247

My Corvette(s)
V.Red '08 Z06 3LZ, Chrome

Junkman, you're such a Corvette God...you know that?!
bunyz06rabit is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in