1979 LS3 Swap....it's begun - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #46
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Got some work done over the weekend thanks to a good friend. F-body oil pan swap and dropped it in. I'm still waiting on my ecm, tcm and harness to be reworked. I plan on routing new fuel lines, trans cooler lines with aux trans cooler and after going through a couple of dorman power steering pump pulley options I just ordered a dirty dingo 5" billet pulley from them. The dorman 300-301 has the .66 hub and is about 5-5/16" od but offset is a little different and will not align. The dorman 300-126 is same hub size and 5-3/4" od is a little closer to alignment but still a little off and much closer to my control arm. I'll post some pictures a little later of clearances at the p/s pump area. I'm sure my wife's happy, I cleared out much of the extra bedroom that was/is storage for ls swap parts.

plenty of room up front:

good bit at the firewall:

decent underneath:

I had a few clearance issues but nothing major:

I had to modify the trans crossmember for 4L70E

Modify the water pump (not too sure exactly where i want to put my fittings yet for the heater core supply/return). I'm running poly motor mounts so I'm not sure how much the motor with torque over toward the control arm.

Headers fit really nice considering each car is slightly different. These things just barely touch. I'll have to "clearance" them, but still very pleased!

blueday is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #47
AcidGypsy
DC Crew

Member #130578

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueday View Post
I plan on routing new fuel lines...

I'm sure my wife's happy, I cleared out much of the extra bedroom that was/is storage for ls swap parts.

Modify the water pump (not too sure exactly where i want to put my fittings yet for the heater core supply/return). I'm running poly motor mounts so I'm not sure how much the motor with torque over toward the control arm.
Nice job Blueday!
Looks right at home.

Remind me, where is your fuel pump & regulator going to be? In sump pump or external?
If I remember it right, your model, the original fuel lines ran up the driver (left) side of the frame, correct?

I can relate to the having parts scattered around the house. I used our pool table as a collection point for almost 3 years. Wife was not happy!

You are aware of the modifications to the water pump most of us are running, correct? Plugs in the end and drilled fittings at the top and bottom of the pump housing to clear the control arms. Only issue I had was the routing through the AC unit brackets.

Looking good, keep it up!
Steve
AcidGypsy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #48
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Thanks Steve, after digging through your thread you understand the fun of finally getting over milestones. It's still unusual to open the hood and see the ls3 sitting in there.

I'm using the sending unit from an 82 and swapping the pump out for my ls3. the factory lines on my 79 route along the passenger side (3/8" & 5/16" return). There's another line on the drivers side that is 5/16" and I believe it went to the charcoal canister (previous own removed). Right now I'm planning on running new -8AN (1/2") ss braided line and putting the filter/regulator close by the tank. I'm not sure if the 1/2" is needed for the 525hp LS3 but after the GM warranty runs out I may do some head work and other stuff with the engine.

Ryan
Yeah I've seen all the c3 guys plug the water pump and drill/tap heater core connections on top. With the holley brackets it'll be really tight on top. I may try the bottom when I get my fittings in this week. Right now I have the pump line tapped and plugged, just waiting to see which location will be best. Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #49
Patro46
DC Crew

Member #136162

My Corvette(s)
C3 Convertible

Talk to me about your spreader bar.
I didn't think it would fit after the LS swap.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Got some work done over the weekend thanks to a good friend. F-body oil pan swap and dropped it in. I'm still waiting on my ecm, tcm and harness to be reworked. I plan on routing new fuel lines, trans cooler lines with aux trans cooler and after going through a couple of dorman power steering pump pulley options I just ordered a dirty dingo 5" billet pulley from them. The dorman 300-301 has the .66 hub and is about 5-5/16" od but offset is a little different and will not align. The dorman 300-126 is same hub size and 5-3/4" od is a little closer to alignment but still a little off and much closer to my control arm. I'll post some pictures a little later of clearances at the p/s pump area. I'm sure my wife's happy, I cleared out much of the extra bedroom that was/is storage for ls swap parts.

plenty of room up front:

good bit at the firewall:

decent underneath:

I had to modify the trans crossmember for 4L70E

Headers fit really nice considering each car is slightly different. These things just barely touch. I'll have to "clearance" them, but still very pleased!

Patro46 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #50
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patro46 View Post
Talk to me about your spreader bar.
I didn't think it would fit after the LS swap.

Thanks!!
It's a VB&P spreader bar. That's exactly how it was when the sbc was in there. I don't have any radiator hoses hooked up yet, but that's all that I could see that might interfere with it. It's also part of the reason my water pump and p/s pump is a little closer to the control arms. Let me know if you need some more info. and I'll try and dig up receipts for you.

Dang, after looking at this picture I have a ton more room up front than compared to the old 383 with the fbody serpentine setup

Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #51
Patro46
DC Crew

Member #136162

My Corvette(s)
C3 Convertible

Quote:
It's a VB&P spreader bar. That's exactly how it was when the sbc was in there. I don't have any radiator hoses hooked up yet, but that's all that I could see that might interfere with it. It's also part of the reason my water pump and p/s pump is a little closer to the control arms. Let me know if you need some more info. and I'll try and dig up receipts for you.

Dang, after looking at this picture I have a ton more room up front than compared to the old 383 with the fbody serpentine setup

Yes. You do have a lot more room than I thought there would be.
If that spreader bar will fit my application, I'll get one. Otherwise, I'll build one. The way our C3 uppers are designed, this bar eliminates a lot more than most might think.

UPDATE!
*** I just had to go check after seeing your bar. It's looking like it WILL fit, even with the LSA supercharger! (There are others out there and they won't fit). VBP is designed to work with the electric fans. Sweet.... Gotta get me one

Last edited by Patro46; 10-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Patro46 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #52
77blue
DC Crew

Member #72402

My Corvette(s)
2010 GS Coupe / 77 Coupe

blueday, what gear ratio are you going to be running with your 4L70E - 3.08 ? Didn't see it mentioned although I could have missed it.
77blue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Jon
1977 Coupe (LS376/480 & 4L70E swap in process)
2010 GS Coupe (White - Red/Black interior)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 Chev Silverado HD (Duramax)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #53
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

I have the factory 3.55 out back which I'm fine with for now.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #54
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patro46 View Post
UPDATE!
*** I just had to go check after seeing your bar. It's looking like it WILL fit, even with the LSA supercharger! (There are others out there and they won't fit). VBP is designed to work with the electric fans. Sweet.... Gotta get me one
Good to hear! A little pricey but I didn't have to weld anything and it bolted right up without any issues.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #55
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

I ended up with ordering a smaller from dirty dingo and put in pressure reducing spacers. For anyone looking at going the little cheaper route I listed the other pulleys I tried out from dorman. #300-301 (.66 hub, 5-5/16" od) and #300-126 (.66 hub, 5-3/4" od, similar to the smaller pulley holley offers). 300-301 had good clearance at the control arm but the hub offset was slightly different than the factory and wouldn't line up well w/out machining the hub or shims on everything else. The 300-126 was still slightly off and I wasn't comfortable with how close it was to the control arm. Also note on the 300-126 my ps pulley puller tool would not work on this one. It wouldn't fit under the notch on the hub so I had to get creative with pulling it. I've read these pulleys have worked for others so I'm not sure why my stuff was slightly off so I just went ahead and returned the dormans and ordered the dirty dingo. Hopefully this will help someone out in the future.

Dorman 300-126

300-301

Dirty Dingo
[url=https://flic.kr/p/C6ocXU]

Old 10-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #56
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Back to it this weekend. I got around to drilling and tapping the water pump.

Mounted the classic auto air condenser, trans cooler and started routing new braided lines. Condenser came with some mounting plates but I ended up using the factory condenser brackets (flipped drivers side around to fit). Came out nice and clean and I didn't have to drill and new holes. I didn't really want to pull the hood.

I'm bypassing the radiator cooler (dewitts radiator) and going straight to the new cooler. Comments are welcome on the mounting and if this trans cooler will/should be sufficient for my higher stall speed. Cooler is a Derale 13403 Series 10000 Stacked Plate Transmission Oil Cooler 19 Row (37,000 BTU's Per Hour).

Barely had time to start working with the new fuel setup.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #57
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Does anyone have any recommendations for a trans dipstick? I bought a 4l60e dipstick and it's not lining up. I also bought a lokar trans mount and that sucker is very low and a bit close to the headers. I may try the lokar firewall mount, might be a little longer?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #58
BrewNinja
DC Crew

Member #4397

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Which accessory bracket mounts are you using out of curiosity? Are they the Holley ones?
BrewNinja is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #59
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Yes sir the holley setup.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #60
BrewNinja
DC Crew

Member #4397

My Corvette(s)
1975 Coupe

Thanks! Everything is looking good! Been following along for a while
BrewNinja is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in