1979 LS3 Swap....it's begun - Page 7 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #91
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

This has also turned into a while I'm there project. So while I'm here and the wheels are off i swapped the brakes over to some wilwood d8-6 on the fronts and d8-4 on the rears along with some wilwood rotors. Like normal with my luck these have turn out to be a pia because the fronts came in silver and the rears were a grey color. After some unhelpful people from summit someone finally dug i to it and found out wilwood updated the color offered and i had new and old versions. Either way they're slightly off in color and I'm tired of dealing with summit and wilwood so it'll work since they're not right next each other. Maybe i assume too much or have too high of expectations but for the money these things cost I figured they'd match.

I also got my pedal bracket painted and back on.

blueday is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #92
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Been a while, work's been busy yada yada yada....back to it.- Had the driveshaft shortened and I went ahead and installed some safety loops for peace of mind. They went on pretty easy without too much modification to the new trans. crossmember and the new offset trailing arms I just put in. ​ ​​​​​​ ​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 AM   #93
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

If you ever loose a u-joint, those safety loops are a godsend especially at 6000 on a 2-3 shift. Ask me how I know
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit

Old 11-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #94
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
If you ever loose a u-joint, those safety loops are a godsend especially at 6000 on a 2-3 shift. Ask me how I know

I've read a few stories about them. I'm sure one of them was yours. U joint failure just cruising or if i ever actually hook up it's worth the peace of mind.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #95
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Finished putting the rear spring back together and installed shiftworks kit forbthe 4l70. I had to notch out the trans pan bracket and removing the old detent was a pia. It wasnt a simple drill spot welds like the sw instructions state but I got it apart finally.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #96
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Got it back on the road today. Still a few bugs to work out but glad to take it around the block in over a year. Good start so far to the new year.

Even though the motor has been in there for a while now it's still makes me do a double take since i had the 383 sbc in there for so long.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #97
EASYGEAR
DC Crew

Member #95242

My Corvette(s)
81 sold 82 in progress ...

wow sweet sounding good looking...
love the color also...
congrats
happy new year
EASYGEAR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #98
77blue
DC Crew

Member #72402

My Corvette(s)
2010 GS Coupe / 77 Coupe

Congrats blueday Sounds sweet - must be a great feeling.
77blue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Jon
1977 Coupe (LS376/480 & 4L70E swap in process)
2010 GS Coupe (White - Red/Black interior)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 Chev Silverado HD (Duramax)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #99
Playmate
DC Crew

Member #73608

My Corvette(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 Convertible

Perfect stance!
Playmate is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #100
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv. GTO LS1, T56.

Blueday, what if the front u-joint gives up? Or the inside joint on the half shaft? Is this kind of standard placement for the loops? I haven't put mine on yet because I couldn't decide on placement. If placed near the center the bracketry gets more complicated as there isn't anything substantial to attach to..
Your thoughts?
slofut is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slofut For This Useful Post:
blueday (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #101
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slofut View Post
Blueday, what if the front u-joint gives up? Or the inside joint on the half shaft? Is this kind of standard placement for the loops? I haven't put mine on yet because I couldn't decide on placement. If placed near the center the bracketry gets more complicated as there isn't anything substantial to attach to..
Your thoughts?
If the front of the ds gives the ds loop as it is shown will catch it. I'm not 100% sure on what happens if the rear ds ujoint gives. It looks like there's a frame crossmember underneath it and it looks to be just the floor above.

As for the halfshafts this dragvette link states the loops will minimize damage should either end break loose.

https://www.racevette.com/store/p6/H...s_1963-82.html

In both the ds and hs cases it looks as though the thought process of the loops i bought from vansteel is to catch the ds/hs end not attached to the rear end. I'm not sure if there is a reason for this or not.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and give some input on this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueday For This Useful Post:
slofut (01-07-2019), zimmej51 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #102
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Blueday, I'm working a very similar project, 1981 LS3 with T-56. The stance of yours is perfect! My 81 has the FE7 suspension package and I'm planning to try and use the original front springs but I'm concerned about the front ride height. Did you have to change the front springs to get the ride height? I read through your posts and didn't see a mention about springs but I may have missed it. I have a feeling I'll probably wind up with a coil over setup before it's all over. You did a superb job, well done!
zimmej51 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #103
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

[QUOTE=blueday;3425948]Been a while, work's been busy yada yada yada....back to it.- Had the driveshaft shortened and I went ahead and installed some safety loops for peace of mind. They went on pretty easy without too much modification to the new trans. crossmember and the new offset trailing arms I just put in. ​ ​​​​​​ ​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Nice workmanship and very functional. I have personally experienced a couple of driveshaft failures on the dragstrip in years past; scary, dangerous and expensive. I really hadn't planned to include them on my build but after looking at this I believe I'll add them to the punch list.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #104
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

[QUOTE=blueday;3429272]If the front of the ds gives the ds loop as it is shown will catch it. I'm not 100% sure on what happens if the rear ds ujoint gives. It looks like there's a frame crossmember underneath it and it looks to be just the floor above.

As for the halfshafts this dragvette link states the loops will minimize damage should either end break loose.

https://www.racevette.com/store/p6/H...s_1963-82.html

In both the ds and hs cases it looks as though the thought process of the loops i bought from vansteel is to catch the ds/hs end not attached to the rear end. I'm not sure if there is a reason for this or not.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and give some input on this.

From personal experience here's my 2c. For the driveshaft, containing the diff end of the driveshaft will minimize damage. Containing the trans end of the driveshaft can save your life. I've never experienced a half shaft failure, but I imagine if either end got loose it would tear up all kinds of things, so containing them would likely reduce damage.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #105
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmej51 View Post
Blueday, I'm working a very similar project, 1981 LS3 with T-56. The stance of yours is perfect! My 81 has the FE7 suspension package and I'm planning to try and use the original front springs but I'm concerned about the front ride height. Did you have to change the front springs to get the ride height? I read through your posts and didn't see a mention about springs but I may have missed it. I have a feeling I'll probably wind up with a coil over setup before it's all over. You did a superb job, well done!
thanks for the comps.....i havent srivin my ls3 a lot yet but it's still odd not having to pump the gas and even more odd popping the hood to see an ls3 sitting there.

I'm running 450# springs on the front. I did cut them to get the ride height where i want it. I did all of that years ago so i can't remember if was 1 or 1.5 coil off each side. Prior to redoing my suspension about 8 years ago i cut the stock springs down to get a nice ride height. I may do coilovers eventually, but couldnt justify the money at the time for a street car and douby i would raise or lower it once it's set.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in